Ridge Racer 6 new scans and info!

isamu

Whoa...isamu, chill out man. Disagreeing with you doesn't mean the game won't be good or won't sell. They are just stating what they like or dislike about racing games. It so happen RR6 did not meet their expectations. That's all.

You don't have to insist they agree and praise RR6 the way you do. You can still get the game and enjoy it yourself. Their opinions don't matter as long as you are having fun.

That's true, I'm picking up RR6 for one reason and ONE reason only, Drift Physics. This is the only game on the 360 that has the drift engine in the actual race mode. Since Need for Speed has turned out to be Midnight Club 3 with a passion, I'm a bit dissapointed.

But RR6 you can drift, and that's what I like to do in racing games, drift the crap outta my cars.

it's called anti aliasing, and apparently microsoft and sony have yet to grasp the concept.... <_<

gamecube had it built in.... :D

336867[/snapback]

My Vectrex is over 20 years old, and never had aliasing that needed to be anti-aliased out in the first place.

Of course, this is because a vector display draws lines straight onto the screen instead of a grid of pixels and not any major diffrences in the digital hardware or coding approach, so it's really an apples to orannge-slice candies comparison...

again, the pictures are misleading compared to the actual running game.

can the Xbox handle a game with this draw distance with this lighting with this hires textures at 720P? I'm not sure it could.

Seriously, wait until you guys have seen it - it's not the greatest looking game ever, but neither is it Xbox standard (or Xbox 1.5 for that matter).

It wouldn't disgrace the PS3 either.

well, peoples expectations seem a little out of whack. Not every game can look like MGS4 unfortunately. "the game that most people are really falling over" ;) I know that's a slip (freidian?) but hell - it's basically true. MGS4 does indeed look the part in motion and in stills, but hey - i'd put a lot of that down to fantastic art direction.

Ridge 6 does everything graphically a Ridge game should do only better than it's ever been done before, with the same style as people are used to. It does what it set out to do and it does it well.

Anyways, the difference between current gen screen shots and this gen screen shots is to do with the level of effects. In the current gen, they are there but not to the level of then next gen. HDR , self shadowing, improved reflections, etc etc... all these go towards making a game look great, and you can only hint at that in a 1 frame grab.

As said before - these shots of Ridge make the game look pretty ropey indeed. If i'd not seen the game running i'd be shocked at these screenshots. But i think Ridge fans in particular will like what they see.

Namco are a quality team on whatever platform they've turned their hand to - it's pretty insulting to the staff to suggest they are short changing the Ridge fans with this. I'd expect Ridge PS3 (_IF_ it ever happens) to look very similar to the X360 version - they stayed to the Ridge style with this version (again), i'd see them doing the same on the PS3.

Think about it - if they were planning to do a PS3 and an X360 version right from the start like some people think, wouldn't they cut costs by using the same pool of art assets/tracks/track data/models etc? This gen is about companies being smart and learning to not waste cash on crazy things like two _totally from scratch_ versions of Ridge. I'm sure a PS3 version would get some enhancement , but i'd expect it to be more like extra content and minor graphical updates that a graphics engine overhaul - because _the game already looks good enough_

DC's Charlie and Johnny's ram....you guys are wasting your time here. There's no point in arguing with these blatant trolls. They are out to hate on Ridge Racer 6 no matter what it looks like. I have been given verifyable and 100% reliable information that these trolls were paid off from Bizarre Creations to come into RR6 threads, suck up to PGR3 and troll anything RR related. Because no one in their right mind could be dissapointed with the way this game looks. It screams Ridge Racer quality! The track designs and environments ALONE are enough to sodomize PGR3 sideways.

I really am dissapointed in posters like ourumov and others who have seemingly stabbed Namco in the back with statements like "PGR3 looks better". How much did BC transfer into your Paypal account? I thought you loved the RR series man? :(

Anyway DC's Charlie and Johnny's ram, thanks for going to bat against the trolls in my absence. It's appreciated. When the game cums out and proves to be the greatest videogame in the history of the industry, they will eat their words and come back saying poo like "My bad Isamu....I did not realize I would be eating this much crow, but you were right...RR6 absolutely RAPES PGR3 to kingdom Cum and back!!!! I will never doubt your opinions again dawg"

Anyways, Outrun's better. The original, not this BS polygon crap.

337434[/snapback]

No way man, Outrun 2 is amazing. Easily the best post-Dreamcast game Sega has released, and probably the most fun "racing" game of the past 5 years.

337439[/snapback]

Awww, I can't bait the 'tard a little more?

Honestly, I haven't played any Outrun to date. I just picked a big name. :p

Wait, I played a Master System/GameGear one once.

Awww, I can't bait the 'tard a little more?

Honestly, I haven't played any Outrun to date. I just picked a big name. :p

Wait, I played a Master System/GameGear one once.

337503[/snapback]

Damn! Sorry JBO, I was just looking forward to discussing a REAL racing game in this thread... :rolleyes:

337843[/snapback]

Well, we can talk Roadblasters. It's LIKE racing.

You know, if racing involved not running out of gas and blowing the crap out of everyone with cruise missiles, as opposed to coming in first.

You know, if racing involved not running out of gas and blowing the crap out of everyone with cruise missiles, as opposed to coming in first.

337866[/snapback]

Awww shieet, I think you just figured out why Ridge Race 6 won't end up being the greatest racing game of all time: NO CRUISE MISSILES.

Hopefully they'll still have time to work them in after those "fictional" New York and Tokyo tracks. Wait, aren't those real cities?

337866[/snapback]

Awww shieet, I think you just figured out why Ridge Race 6 won't end up being the greatest racing game of all time: NO CRUISE MISSILES.

Yup.

It's one of thsoe little details that gets overlooked in most racing games.

From *Team Sexduke*

Less than a month ago, we got our first hands-on time with the latest in Namco’s classic arcade racing series, Ridge Racer 6, at the Tokyo Game Show. Although the visuals and the feel of the game were close to being final, we were only able to partake in a time attack event; meaning no other competition on-screen. Recently, we got to dig a bit deeper into what makes Ridge Racer 6 tick, including new details on the single-player campaign and the online offerings that Xbox 360 owners can expect at launch.

Be a World “Xplorerâ€

The Ridge Racer series has been a staple for new consoles, but the depth of the overall experience has been called into question in year’s past. Not to worry this time around as Ridge Racer 6 has a little sumthin’, sumthin’ for gamers online and off. The heart of the single-player experience is the World Xplorer mode - a series of over 230 race events across the Ridge Universe that is displayed via a workflow-like map made up of hexagonal icons. The significance of this map is that it allows a certain amount of freedom for you to choose your own route of completion, as long as the icons are adjacent from one another. The events on the World Map include everything from standard races, time attacks, to one-one-one duels. While you can set your route of progression, ultimately you’ll need to tackle specific events in order to open up branches, which can lead to new events, game tips, and unlockable items.

NITRO!

Ridge Racer 6 will include approximately 130 cars, broken up into four machine classes, plus 8 special models to unlock. The tracks all have the classic RR feel, with plenty of suspension bridges, tunnels, video screens, and aircraft to decorate the scenery. There will be 30 tracks in total, but the obvious variations and mirroring will expand things a bit.

Online – A first for Ridge Racer

The Xbox 360 has the designation of being the console where the Ridge Racer series makes its first appearance online. Thanks to Xbox Live, up to 10 players will be able to show their on-track skills in standard races (Online Battle) or with in the Global Time Attack mode. The game will support a worldwide leaderboard and ghost car downloads as well. Expect more goodies via the Xbox Live Marketplace, but Namco is still being pretty hush-hush on these types of items.

And the rest…

Aside from the Word Xplorer mode, gamers will be able to jump right into a single race to hone skills and Ridge Racer 6 will feature split-screen multiplayer as well. The Garage section provides the means to peruse your car collection, although we couldn’t pry any info as to whether the game will feature any customization options.

The Outlook

As we mentioned before, anyone that’s played a Ridge Racer game should know what to expect in the sixth iteration. The game is fast and its physics make real-world drift racing look like a ride on an Amtrak. Running at a solid 60 fps, even with 14 cars in a race, Ridge Racer 6 should prove to be the pinnacle of the series, especially with its Xbox Live support. Look for more info as we draw closer to the game’s launch window release.

WOOOO!!! TEN PLAYER RACES AND A TRACK EDITOR AND DRIFTING PHYSICS EDITOR!!!!! SHO NUFF AND TETSUOXB HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THESE DEVELOPTMENTS??????? WILL YOU CEASE DEVELOPTMENT OF YOUR OWN RACING PROJECTS????

NEW SCREENS OF SEX AND JOY!

rr6_79.jpg

rr6_80.jpg

rr6_11.jpg

rr6_14.jpg

rr6_19.jpg

rr6_23.jpg

rr6_66.jpg

Only one person in this whole world can post a reply that will compare and proudly represent the WhipWhip... since he committed suicide out of excitement over RR6.

So here I go...

I had doubts about Ridge Racer 6... seeing the first batch of pics and what not... I never saw the look...

After seeing this screen shots and seeing some of the original car models and the old school paint jobs on said cars and the amazing redone tracks from previous Ridges... and seeing the amazing ammount of details in the cars and the courses... and seeing it all... just all of it...

No... just no...

Anything I can say on these message boards simply cannot do justice to the amount of excitement I have inside my body now for this game... just waiting to explode. Words, expressions and opinions... ONLINE... simply cannot and WILL NOT suffice the rage I feel towards this game.

Because I cannot express myself fully online... I also doubt I will not be able to express myself in person, in real life either. To fully express my rage towards this game would require myself to dwelve deep into the astral planes... connect with every living thing on the face of the planet and collectively slap EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU ON THIS PLANET upside the head... then I would hold up my middle finger, grab my crotch and yell "In your face bitch!" and that would get sent telepathically to EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU ON THIS PLANET.

So until I can discover the hidden abillities within me... take this instead for the road...

Ridge Racer 6. Best Game Ever Made

Waiting for it to come out on PS3? You sicken me! Disgusting. Absolutly revolting. To see this now and force yourself to wait because of personal bias towards one system... which we all know comes from the root of all your problems in life... that stems off into everything else in your life thus creating a hectic, chaotic mess of a farted up FAKE life. So if you are like this and need the help to come back to your senses, to put your feet back down on the ground... don't hesitate to punch yourself really hard in the stomach. That, or you could simply do yourself in. I'd enjoy both, really!

So that settles it. You want to wait for this game to come out a year or two later? You must be farting crazy... either that or your mom and dad rape you, you have no friends, you have ADD, you are constantly misinformed, reality escapes you, you dream about being Japanese, you dislike yourself, your one and only gf will forever be online, you're a farting happy person... a loser... a farting peice of poo with no farting life and no farting skills in life to make said life a better life even with said skillless abillities such as being a dick and a fart face and a completely, utterley, useless farting failure the likes of which I have never seen before.

Disgraceful!

This game will......

******************WILL******************

.....be the greatest videogame ever crafted by the Gods of this earth. That is not speculation gentlemen, that is a

***************F-A-C-T***************

WHIP WHIP MOTHER fartERS!!!!! "FX THE MOVIE: WHEN NIGGAZ TAKE OVER", STARRING ISAMU. SHO-NUFF, BISHOPTL, BLACKACE, NEPTUNEZ, AND MORPHIX IS COMING TO A THEATER NEAR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay... that pic of Reiko and the HotWheels ALMOST makes up for all the insanity you've been spewing into this thread.

Post some more pics like that and I'll rescind my negative comments.

Until that time, however...

Roadblasters > Super Mario Kart > Outrun > Ridge Racer 6.

• 4 weeks later...
Isamu, here with Sho Nuff playing ridge ... this game is hot sex.

There are LOTS of hilly tracks! it's one thing that puts it over PGR.

We haven't - the standard announcer gets old pretty quick.

it plays all the way through even during loading (at least off my shuffle) , you can adjust the level of the music throughout every game on X360 via the dash - and it disables the ingame music automatically. You can set up your own play lists etc...

oh, didn't notice - and now we are playing Ridge. I think it's just out of the front speakers.... 5.1 sounds very nice

It felt really natural.

Rumbles as you go over rugged / bumped ground, on collissions with cars and with obsticles and with contact on the ground after a jump

nope - pinballed around with cars and not a massive penalty (so far at least)

DCHARLIE.....I am in your debt.

I humbly thank you for taking the time to answer my questions to the best of your knowledge man...it's really appreciated :) Hopefully more time spent with the game will allow you to discover whether or not the Rage Racer chick is one of the unlockable announcers. We'll have to wait and see :)

That being said....WHERE THE HELL IS KLEE? He's seemingly dissapeared from the boards! Anyone got a visual on KLee??????????????????

Hey isamu, I just played this on dc's 100-inch projection screen...

You'd better hope there's a toilet close to your TV set because when you see this game you're going to crap your freaking pants

TWO WORDS: AIRPORT TRACK

725px-Nuclear_fireball.jpg

tranny-roof.jpg

headspin.gif

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just tried my first online game of RR6 and i have to say... wtF was that!?

As mentioned here, we aren't just talking "oh, a little bit of lag" we are talking the game stopping and restarting every second ,or so ... it was like watching a flicker book.

Basically, i just juddered around the entire track - the controller was obviously still being read at the usual rate, the sound was perfect, but i was getting 1 frame per second.  i can't state how BAD this was.

DC....go read *THIS* thread....there are a LOT of peeps experiencing the same thing! I suspect this is a result of a glitch or string of bad code and that a unspecified amount of bad RR6 copies was shipped out. I am VERY discouraged to hear this!!! I sincerely hope Namco acknowledges this dilema and posts a d/l patch ASAP! I am buying my copy around Christmas and do NOT want the online portion all screwed up! If this problem isnt rectified soon there's gonna be hell to pay. Online Ridge Racer is THE MAIN REASON I'M EXCITED ABOUT THE GAME!!!!!!

DC....go read *THIS* thread....there are a LOT of peeps experiencing the same thing! I suspect this is a result of a glitch or string of bad code and that a unspecified amount of bad RR6 copies was shipped out. I am VERY discouraged to hear this!!! I sincerely hope Namco acknowledges this dilema and posts a d/l patch ASAP! I am buying my copy around Christmas and do NOT want the online portion all screwed up! If this problem isnt rectified soon there's gonna be hell to pay. Online Ridge Racer is THE MAIN REASON I'M EXCITED ABOUT THE GAME!!!!!!

347830[/snapback]

Thsi is the greatest thing I've seen. You know, aside from Reiko.

RIDGE RACER 6 IS BROKEN!

Mail a game in, that's lunacy!  What games were those?  I guess I've been lucky so far...

347927[/snapback]

One of the PS1 Gran Tourismos had severe enough glitches that SCEA had a mail-in exchange program.

Virtua Fighter on the Saturn was bad enough that Sega America gave Virtua Fighter Remix away free to owners of the original version, too(no mail-in exhcange though, so you got to keep your crappy glitch-ridden disk).

It's rare(largely because console games are better debugged due to the lack of patchability), but it happens sometimes.

And the latest in mail-in game exchanges!

The latest incarnation of Pokemon(currently only out in Japan) has a bug where if hte DS and GBA versions are inserted into a DS for data exchange, saves are often deleted or corrupted.

If you were dumb enough to import, you're screwed.

• 2 weeks later...
Some impressions from a long-time Ridge fan:

1. As Kelly mentioned right from the top, the drift mechanics are way simplified in this game, to the point that there's really almost no skill required to drift successfully. I come from the old-school Ridge camp, so I much prefer the drifting from 1/2/RRR to the later games, but this is too much. There's very little risk/reward factor here, as you can basically drift your way out of almost any predicament -- even at top-speed around a hairpin turn in automatic transmission, you can get out of danger with ease. I'm glad they made it simpler so noobs could have fun too, but they should've at least left the option to play with the old-style handling so us pros could enjoy it too.

That said, I'm still having a hell of a lot of fun. I just wish it was a bit more challenging. I don't want to get rusty. :)

2. The soundtrack sucks. It's arguably the worst in the entire Ridge series... lots of lifeless, repetitive beats with very little energy or passion. The remedy? Do what I did and put the Ridge Racer 2 Arcade soundtrack on instead, and prepare to feel the adrenaline flow as you 360 in mid-air off a huge-ass jump. Muuuuuuch better.

3. Online play has been very encouraging so far. Half the time I was playing there was nobody online (probably since the 360 isn't out here in Japan yet), but when I did find matches, the competition was surprisingly courteous and easygoing (must've been Brits, hehe), and there was no lag whatsoever. The downside to online play is you have to turn off PC sharing to avoid a nasty lag bug, which means if you stream your music from your PC, you won't be able to use custom soundtracks while racing online. I hope Namco releases a bug fix for this ASAP, because as I said earlier, the in-game soundtrack sucks.

4. There is an ASSLOAD of content here for Ridge fans. The World Xplorer mode alone takes ages to fully complete, but then there's the challenge of doing all the Solo Battle races in every class without using nitrous and without getting into any collisions. HARDCORE. Just the way it should be. This is a big redeeming factor for me, and helps me forget about the fact that even my grandmother could pull off a 360 with the drifting in this version.

All in all, I'm pretty happy so far. It ain't perfect, but for a launch game it beats the piss out of Ridge Racer V, and gives me hope that the series will continue on, free of the near-fatal effects that R: Racing Evolution brought.

BTW, does anyone else imagine Hulk Hogan's voice whenever they read isamu's posts?

Exceptional impressions John's TV. Not quite up to par with KLee's, but almost up there my man...I give them a B+ :)

Now....

Regarding the streaming soundtrack thing: You mention that if ya stream from your PC it causes the online lag bug. But what about streaming music from a standalone USB Hard Drive? Will that work, and not cause the online bug? Please let me know.

Regarding custom soundtrack using the RR 2 OST. Interesting. I've never quite gotten into any of RR's music. I've always made it a point to turn down a racing game's BGM, and listen to my own tunes. Doesn't make either you or me a non-RR fan, just means that people's music tastes are subjective. I personally plan on playing RR6 to the folliwing CDs:

B00005MLNS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00000G6GB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000000HIA.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00004T6UZ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00005NKI2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000002LK1.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

......and so on and so on. Nothing against RR's past soundtracks....I'm sure they're good, but these are the albums that get my blood pumping, and thus, increases my skill :)

The buck doesn't stop there however....I am going to take these albums, and re-rip them while adding in the voice samples from the Rage Racer announcer chick. I have all the voice samples from her in wav files. So for example I will over dub her Rage Racer voice phrases so that you will hear her say something like "Excellent cornering!" during the breakdown of Enjoy the Silence from Depeche Mode for example. Or she'll say "They're closin' in fast!" during the last part of Personal Jesus.

I just need to find a program that will make this kind of overdubbing/editing easy to do, while maintaining the quality of the song and without any degradation. Any recommendations? :)