Gamecube vs PS2 MULTIPLAYER?

armentage

I know this is off topic (off-macross) but I was hoping to get some feedback from you all.

My girlfriend LOVES cooperative multi-player games, and my XBOX just doesn't cut the muster. There's a few games, like Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance, and ROTK, but not much else, and certainly not much variety in terms of game genre/style. I'm going to buy either a PS2 or a GameCube, because those two systems have a lot more of the "family" and "together" marketshare, and hence more games.

My question is, which system?

GameCube has some fabulous new multiplayer RPGs, (FF:CC, Zelda Wind Walker) but they require 2+ GameBoy Advanced units to play, which makes the GameCube a very expensive proposition.

PS2 is always a winner, but many of it's games are single-player Teen-Angst or Lonely-Geek...

So basically, I'm not sure which system to pick. Can anyone out there give me some pro's and con's for each system, in regards to multi-player COOPERATIVE play?

(Cooperative means games like Gauntlet where you play together, NOT games like Soul-Calibur2 are where you play against each other)

Wait, Wind Waker is multiplayer? I thought you just hooked up a GBA so that Dingle(or whatever his name is) can give you in-game hints and the like.

329007[/snapback]

I think it's a different Zelda game I'm thinking of, but one of them definately allows you to have some crazy GBA Multiplayer fun.

Wait, Wind Waker is multiplayer? I thought you just hooked up a GBA so that Dingle(or whatever his name is) can give you in-game hints and the like.

329007[/snapback]

I think it's a different Zelda game I'm thinking of, but one of them definately allows you to have some crazy GBA Multiplayer fun.

329017[/snapback]

Yah.

You're thinking of 4 Swords.

Which, like Crystal Chronicles, is action-adventure, not RPG. :p

Sadly, co-operative multiplayer just isn't very popular on any system.

Yah.

329033[/snapback]

You know, as long as we're playing on the same team I don't really mind what the games are. (except sports games, never liked them)

Well, I pulled the trigger on a GameCube. Even if it doesn't have the best co-op games, it's cheap, the games & accessories are cheap, and she LOVES nintendo chars!

Yah.

329033[/snapback]

You know, as long as we're playing on the same team I don't really mind what the games are. (except sports games, never liked them)

Well, I pulled the trigger on a GameCube. Even if it doesn't have the best co-op games, it's cheap, the games & accessories are cheap, and she LOVES nintendo chars!

329040[/snapback]

Good call, IMO. The 'Cube's got some sweet games. And at the price, it's not hard to justify.

I say the Gamecube, with 4 control ports and games like Smash Brothers Melee, the fun never ends. I wish I had my Gamecube with me over here, but I tend to be a loner on my ship because I can't stand most of the people and don't want to deal with most of them after work. ;)

You might also want to check out Phantasy Star Online. It's pretty boring playing through it by yourself, but with friends it's a lot of fun.

329593[/snapback]

Can we play it together on the same GameCube (w/o an onilne connection?)

I have a huge 50" TV that can do side-by-side Split-screen. It'd be funny to network 2 gamecubes on the same TV just to play together!

You might also want to check out Phantasy Star Online. It's pretty boring playing through it by yourself, but with friends it's a lot of fun.

329593[/snapback]

Can we play it together on the same GameCube (w/o an onilne connection?)

I have a huge 50" TV that can do side-by-side Split-screen. It'd be funny to network 2 gamecubes on the same TV just to play together!

329632[/snapback]

Yup, it can handle up to 4-players split screen. It can get a bit repetitive, but the RPG style stats and equipment is fun and some of the later levels are very cool.

My girlfriend LOVES cooperative multi-player games,

328997[/snapback]

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

I keep trying to persuade my wife to try a bit of the old multiplayer, together with her cute elder and younger sister and preferably with a video camera to film it all, but no luck so far :( .

Oh I see you are talking about video games........oh well never mind then :p .

Graham

My girlfriend LOVES cooperative multi-player games,

328997[/snapback]

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

I keep trying to persuade my wife to try a bit of the old multiplayer, together with her cute elder and younger sister and preferably with a video camera to film it all, but no luck so far :( .

Oh I see you are talking about video games........oh well never mind then :p .

Graham

329891[/snapback]

Graham needs a copy of Rez with the trance vibrator.

Guest Bromgrev
Oh I see you are talking about video games........oh well never mind then  :p .

Graham

329891[/snapback]

And you're not? Sounds like exactly the sort of game one would want a video of. :D

Tales of Symphonia is a co-opt multiplayer game for the Gamecube. The mulitplayer (up to 4) is actally more fun than the single player version. The game is only $20 now. Just a suggestion.

329906[/snapback]

I've heard that Symphonia was awful... Player-one is totally in charge of the RPG part, and the other players only get to take part in the combat. The combat is supposed to have serious camera issues with multi-player mode, which some people claim makes the game unplayable. It makes me a little hesitant to try it it.

ANYWAY....

I picked up Two GameBoys to try Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles and I must say we were a bit dissapointed. Graphics & Sound are beautiful, but the game seems to be an exercise in tedium without any RPG fun at all, WHAT SO EVER! You just walk around this stupid chalice and fight. I made the mistake of getting used non-backlit GBAs, which are totally useless unless you are playing in the brightest light.

I'm begining to feel that the Xbox might be the way to go with the Co-Op games :(

XMEN LEGENDS 2 anyone?

...I picked up Two GameBoys to try Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles and I must say we were a bit dissapointed.  Graphics & Sound are beautiful, but the game seems to be an exercise in tedium without any RPG fun at all, WHAT SO EVER! 

Sounds exactly like an RPG to me. :p

I made the mistake of getting used non-backlit GBAs, which are totally useless unless you are playing in the brightest light.

I have to have hte only visible GBA in existence. I've never had any major lighting problems.

...I picked up Two GameBoys to try Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles and I must say we were a bit dissapointed.  Graphics & Sound are beautiful, but the game seems to be an exercise in tedium without any RPG fun at all, WHAT SO EVER! 

I made the mistake of getting used non-backlit GBAs, which are totally useless unless you are playing in the brightest light.

I have to have hte only visible GBA in existence. I've never had any major lighting problems.

330085[/snapback]

Well, usually even the worst RPG gives you background story and reasons to go to a particular place at a particular time, and tries to develop the characters SOMEWHAT. Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance had an over plot and flat characters, little detail, etc etc, but it was still better than FF:CC :(

As for GBA screens... maybe you just happen to have some kick-ass eyes, JBO!

330085[/snapback]

Well, usually even the worst RPG gives you background story and reasons to go to a particular place at a particular time, and tries to develop the characters SOMEWHAT. Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance had an over plot and flat characters, little detail, etc etc, but it was still better than FF:CC :(

330115[/snapback]

By contrast, some of the best RPGs ever have minimal plot and no character development at all.

Anwayys, from what I've heard(I've never grabbed the game to try it) FF:CC is more along the lines of an action-adventure than an RPG.

As for my eyes... They may be unusually sensitive. I've noticed I have remarkably

sensitive... senses before.

They can't be described as kick-ass, though. I can see roughly a foot ahead of me clearly without my glasses.

I'm more inclined to believe I have one of the brighter GBAs available, though.

Sidenote: The GBASP is frontlit, not backlit. This IS relevant, as it signifigantly degrades the image quality.

If it worked with GA peripherals, I'd say get the DS. Best of both worlds.

As-is... does the GBAMicro have a link? Sure it's grotesquely small, but it has a good screen with a good light.

330085[/snapback]

330115[/snapback]

By contrast, some of the best RPGs ever have minimal plot and no character development at all.

Anwayys, from what I've heard(I've never grabbed the game to try it) FF:CC is more along the lines of an action-adventure than an RPG.

As for my eyes... They may be unusually sensitive. I've noticed I have remarkably

sensitive... senses before.

They can't be described as kick-ass, though. I can see roughly a foot ahead of me clearly without my glasses.

I'm more inclined to believe I have one of the brighter GBAs available, though.

Sidenote: The GBASP is frontlit, not backlit. This IS relevant, as it signifigantly degrades the image quality.

If it worked with GA peripherals, I'd say get the DS. Best of both worlds.

As-is... does the GBAMicro have a link? Sure it's grotesquely small, but it has a good screen with a good light.

330142[/snapback]

good link for handhelds and umm emulations

micro gba thread

edit: your gbasp light up a room like mines? my little 2cell AA maglight is not as bright.

Edited by Zentrandude

good link for handhelds and umm emulations

micro gba thread

*chortles*

reiromland ... I need to remember that one.

edit: your gbasp light up a room like mines? my little 2cell AA maglight is not as bright.

Sister has one. Never really bothered to see what it does in a dark room. Found the display without lighting to be totally inadequate(darker than my GBA + a ghosting problem from reflections off the screen cover), and the lihting just washes detail out.

The Gamecube is the multiplayer machine from what I've seen. I've enjoyed playing Crystal Chronicles, of course when I played it has always been with three other people.

Still, if that's not your thing there's still Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Four Swords is awesome, so long as everyone plays nice, then there's Wario Ware Inc. wich is an excellent game and great for parties, Star Fox Assault, and finally Pac-man Versus, wich is probably the best reason for the Gamecube/GBA linkup.

I have to agree with JBO about the original GBA. Sometimes it could be annoying not to have a light, but for the most part I had few problems. Still, even if it washes things out I prefere my SP.

Still, if that's not your thing there's still Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Four Swords is awesome, so long as everyone plays nice, then there's Wario Ware Inc. wich is an excellent game and great for parties, Star Fox Assault, and finally Pac-man Versus, wich is probably the best reason for the Gamecube/GBA linkup.

330253[/snapback]

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm geting my grubby hands on a copy of 4-Swords today.

A big part of the trouble finding good MP games is that few titles actually explain just how they are Multiplayer on their box, or tend to emphasize their competiative mini-games more than the co-op part.

I'm vaguely tempted to plop down the $50 for a copy of XMen Legends:2...

I have to agree with JBO about the original GBA. Sometimes it could be annoying not to have a light, but for the most part I had few problems. Still, even if it washes things out I prefere my SP.

330253[/snapback]

My problems consisted of Circle of the Moon. In poor lighting, as opposed to any lighting.

CotM is a shining example of why you should always beta-test in a real-world setting.

I prefer the original GBA beause even if it's a little darker, it fits my hands better.

Also has a REAL headphone connector instead of the stupid proprietary "buy an adapter" jack.

And standard batteries.

NiMH AAs = love.

The SP has nice buttons, though. And a vastly superior d-pad.

It's just too cramped. :p

330253[/snapback]

My problems consisted of Circle of the Moon. In poor lighting, as opposed to any lighting.

CotM is a shining example of why you should always beta-test in a real-world setting.

I prefer the original GBA beause even if it's a little darker, it fits my hands better.

Also has a REAL headphone connector instead of the stupid proprietary "buy an adapter" jack.

And standard batteries.

NiMH AAs = love.

The SP has nice buttons, though. And a vastly superior d-pad.

It's just too cramped. :p

330369[/snapback]

Plus normal batteries.

One more thing to add about the GameCube --

The controllers ROCK.

After using the XBOX Controller-S (the smaller one) for a year, I can really appreciate the GameCube's. It's size is perfect for my big hands and the GF's small ones. She absolutely adores it too. I really love the way they made the important buttons bigger, and have gradually "less important" buttons placed further away. Really innovative design they came up with.

One more thing to add about the GameCube --

The controllers ROCK.

After using the XBOX Controller-S (the smaller one) for a year, I can really appreciate the GameCube's.  It's size is perfect for my big hands and the GF's small ones.  She absolutely adores it too.  I really love the way they made the important buttons bigger, and have gradually "less important" buttons placed further away.  Really innovative design they came up with.

330609[/snapback]

'Cube pad DOES fit the hand quite nicely. And does a good job at fitting everyone's instead of a specific target group like some other companies...

Thing I like about the buttons is mainly how easy it is to rock from one to the other VS a diamond(can't rock onto the top button from the bottom one on a diamond).

Distant second is quick visual ID. Seeing a kidney bean on screen connects in my head a lot faster than a letter, which in turn connects faster than a geometric shape.

The GC pad problems are IMO...

Z. It's small, awkwardly positioned, and nearly useless.

It looks like an afterthought, and that's because it is. Was shoved in at the last minute because they didn't have enough buttons for Smash Brothers.

Sidenote: This is also why it's a nice solid microswitch instead of a mushy rubber dome button. Wasn't room for another rubber dome.

D-pad. Flaky and inaccurate.

Ironic, given this is the company that first popularized the device.

Start/pause. It's way off in the middle of nowhere.

Of course, everyone screws this up except the Genesis 3-button pad and the 5200 sticks, so who really cares?

All 3 are relatively minor.

Sadly, the Rev looks to have the worst position for start/pause since the 2600, Master System, and 7800 put it on the deck(though the 2600 only had start, not pause).

As near as I can tell, it rests under the heel of the hand, meaning you'll have to slide your hand down to pause.

the newer sps are now backlit.

http://media.gameboy.ign.com/articles/652/...mg_3086349.html

330865[/snapback]

They're still too small, though. :p

330888[/snapback]

Hahah I can't believe the timeliness of that. Just as I'm thinking "maybe these old-school GBA's are okay with their screens" an even better one comes out!

Oh, it turns out I was trying to play the GBA's under one, half-burned out 40-Watt bulb without any of that nice diffusion (soft-white) coating. I bumped her bedroom lights up to 100-watts and we were able to play 4-Swords very well.

Speaking of 4-Swords the game TOTALLY OWNS. Puzzles, great music and game play and just the right mix of competition and team-work. It's perfect! I highly recommend it. Played it for 4 hours in one sitting and while I did get frustrated at some of the harder puzzles, you really get a strong sense of satisfaction from play.

Contrast this to FF:CC where there is no goal at all and you need to deal with annoying poo just to move around the screen.