Monster and Defender

HWR MKII

Take your time on that mike. I know you have ALOT of orders to fill. There arent too many changes to make. aside from the obvious "hands" it also has 4 ammo ports on the rear instead of 2 and from what i can tell there are NO MARKINGS on it what so ever, it also has somewhat shorter main gun barrels. From what i can tell of the history in the compendium the "hands" monster in M0 was the one that was refit into the monster with the 01 markings on it and the 02 monster was the first one out of the factory with current configuration. Also the MK1 monster was an overall dark grey/nato black color. Almost CIA like.

That's a very nice and clean build HWR.

And a wonderfully subtle paintjob that really brings out the panel lines.

Question: for total noobs (like me) who've never built a resin kit, let alone a garage kit (hope that's not an insult Mike? If so, then I meant a "limited run custom-cast job), are there any hazards that I should be wary of in construction that maybe aren't covered in Mike's instructions? Just in case Mike is assuming that anyone ordering one of these things will have at least a modicum of modelling competence.

That's a very nice and clean build HWR.

And a wonderfully subtle paintjob that really brings out the panel lines.

Question: for total noobs (like me) who've never built a resin kit, let alone a garage kit (hope that's not an insult Mike? If so, then I meant a "limited run custom-cast job), are there any hazards that I should be wary of in construction that maybe aren't covered in Mike's instructions? Just in case Mike is assuming that anyone ordering one of these things will have at least a modicum of modelling competence.

421300[/snapback]

First and foremost wear some kind of breathing mask when sanding and grinding the excess resin, i had areas on the heel of the foot that needed dremel attention and general overall seam filling. Im still getting the dust off my shelves from this thing.

So far from building it and reading the posts that mike has made the pitfalls are covered. Be sure to use good pins in the joints and test fit everything. I added a couple little things i wanted on it. I didnt like the hollow missile tubes on the arms so i made weather plugs for it. Be careful of the hips. once the ball and socket are painted the fit becomes quite tight. If you plan on leaving the hips mobile be careful you dont scissor a finger in there, the weight of the kit does have the potential of snapping a finger. All in all though the kit literally falls together. I built mine without instructions. I made mine so i can disassemble it for transport so my cannons, arms and legs are removeable. Just take the kit one part and one step at a time. One thing i recommend is to use bondo on the major seams since it will stick better and sand easier. It helps in keeping the shape sharp.

No need to flee the forum DG. :lol: 1/72 scale armor is just what the Monster kit is! Sci-fi Anime armor from one of the best series ever! :D

Other armor is welcome here DG. I personally do 1/35, 1/16 and 1/9 armor too.

If i do make a base for the kit i may have it standing on the remains of a T-72 or T-90 crushed into the ground.

Well anyone else working on theirs feel free to use this thread to present it i did mean for this to be a communal DESTROID thread. Next Destroid to be covered will be the new Phalanx once its creation is complete.

BTW anyone have line art of the M0 monster i cant find the pics using the search function and i need to fill some info gaps on the hands.

Well anyone else working on theirs feel free to use this thread to present it i did mean for this to be a communal DESTROID thread.

421677[/snapback]

I'm thinking about having the Monster backed up in a tree line with camo netting spread over it and some support vehicles around. I've read somewhere that the Monster is capacble of firing the RMS1 so I was thinking of scratchbuilding some "angels" and depicting a Montser that's being loaded :unsure: Not sure if it's feasable, canon but hey....it's on route so I have some time :lol:

I'm thinking about having the Monster backed up in a tree line with camo netting spread over it and some support vehicles around. I've read somewhere that the Monster is capacble of firing the RMS1 so I was thinking of scratchbuilding some "angels" and depicting a Montser that's being loaded :unsure:  Not sure if it's feasable, canon but hey....it's on route so I have some time :lol:

That sounds phenomenal ...what would you use for camo netting?

Maybe gauze bandage died green with some flock stuck to it?

As for the support vehicles .. are any available already, or would they be the ones currently being developed in the other thread here?

As far as models id say go on ebay and get some of the 1/100 ones. they seem the most common. All the smaller destroids were produced in 1/72 scale by imai or arii but are next to impossible to find. The defender is the most cmmon out of these.

I think we may see a resurgance of 1/72 destroid kits in the next year or so.

The macross itself crashed in 1999 in the story line and Space war one took place in 2010-2012 respectively. Any earth based diorama would look fine using current generation vehicles mixed in.

Thats the sad thing. The destroids got the short end of the stick in the animation. The best destroid episode is Bye Bye Mars. DYRL? has a couple good shots. but overall yu would have to watch the entire series to get the same amount of destroid goodness as 1 episode of Valks.

@DG,

with the risk of being completely burnend on these forums for saying this, but Battletech took the main destroids and used them in there game. There is a lot you can see/find on the internet.

Officers Battlepod = Battletech Marauder

Tomahawk = Battletech Warhammer

Phalanx = battletech ....

Defender = battletech rifleman

Also the battroid version of the valk was used as mech..... If you want mech action there you'll find it with the Macross destroids.

G

i poked around a bit and found the following wikipedia excerpt from "battletech technology":

Land-Air 'Mech (LAM)

The LAM had the ability to transform into a conventional aircraft and revert to BattleMech mode, enabling it to quickly traverse great distances in a short time. However its weight limit, and real life legal conflicts with Harmony Gold (The LAMs, as well as several other 'Mechs, were based heavily off of 'Mecha designs from The Super Dimension Fortress Macross and other anime series) would end its official existence within the universe. The Wasp, Stinger and Phoenix Hawk were famous LAMs. These Land Air 'Mechs can be found in the original edition of Technical Readout: 3025, along with the other "lost" or "unseen" BattleMechs such as the Marauder, Crusader, Warhammer, and the non-LAM versions of the Stinger, Wasp, and Phoenix Hawk

other interesting reading for macross/battletech fans:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/weirdozone/...ch/mystery.html

ahhh.... harmony gold, cross them and they'll sue your a$$.

and a listing of battlemechs, pictures included. for extra laughs, take a look at the wasp and the phoenix hawk:

http://www.kerensky.tierranet.com/btech/btech.shtml

they should fire their artist. that's the lamest valkyrie copy EVER! :lol:

Edited by rotorhead

I think back then, things were different. At that time, stuff from outside of one's country was generally free of a copyright (especially in foreign language situations.)

So the whole Battletech/Robotech thing may boil down to two different companies using designs taken from Macross, and one of the two companies getting legal protection faster than the other. Or something like that.

A good source of pictures for all of the Macross mechs is the Robotech Role-Playing game sourcebook. This has a lot of good lineart of all kinds of things and it can be found on Ebay cheap and easy. Even though it is Robotech, I think the lineart gives you a lot of bang for the buck.