Warner Begins 300 in October

EXO

So now everyone wants to put out a Miller flick

Master_SiteComics295549.jpg

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?a...8&obj_id=49425#

In mid October production will begin on Warner Bros. Pictures' 300. The film is based on Frank Miller's graphic novel of the same name.

The true story centers on the 300 elite Spartan fighters who, led by King Leonidas, fought to the death against King Xerxes' massive Persian army during the battle of Thermopylae in 481-480 B.C.

Gerard Butler stars. DAWN OF THE DEAD's Zack Snyder will direct from a script he wrote with Kurt Johnstad.

Edited by >EXO<

I think people are a little sick of the genre judging by the poor responses to both Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven. We already had Troy and Gladiator recentely. The genre needs a break, even if it is Miller inspired, the general public won't know that.

yeah, and the 'ancient historical epic battle' genre has the kiss of death on it. Troy, Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven all stank.

hehe, I'd like to see a live action movie of Hard Boiled. :o

An excellent series indeed!!

But also unfortunate that it will be labelled as another version of those other flicks mentioned above.

Hopefully a Sin City-like production will take place to set it apart......

A Spartan movie? Cool, IMO.

I recall hearing a while ago the idea of making a movie out of the book "Gates of Fire" which is about the doomed Spartan-led Greek defense at Thermopylae. Wonder if that ever came to fruition.

Anyways, I'm always down for a good ancient, classical, or medieval era movie if done right, simply because for a while, nobody made them.

And nobody had done anything good with some of history's most famous warriors, the Spartans, in a long time.

The monument for the fallen Spartans at Thermopylae reads:

"Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie."

Thermopylae is also considered the high point of Spartan military history, even though it was a defeat. One of the greatest last stands against a much more massive Persian army.

And another Spartan saying: The Spartans do not ask how many, but where they are.

Edit to add: I was not fond of the Alexander movie. I guess I wanted to see a truly huge movie covering his life and his many battles and campaigns, all accomplished at a young age.

It was said that much later, Julius Caesar, then just reaching his 30's, came across a monument to Alexander. He wept and one of his friends asked why. He was disappointed with his life, that at 30, he hadn't accomplished anything while Alexander conquered a huge empire in his 20's. Well, Caesar as we all know goes around to change that...

Edited by Warmaker

I thought Frank Miller wasn't into the whole hollywood thing.

I think he got lucky with Sin City, like how it was so close to the comics and how all the big names signed up... But I think he's pushing his luck with this movie. Especially this genre.

Kingdom of Heaven was a surprisingly good movie. As a HUGE fan of 300, i hope its done right. If it is, this movie will be gold. if not, its gonna suck. since it hasn't even really been cast, its pretty hard to say its gonna be crap. Sin City rocked because of both the story and the talent. Hopefully, talented people will jump at the chance to work on a Frank Miller book now. Sure the GN was simplistic. but most "history" movies are. If you say that 300 is exagerated and unrealistic, you should be saying the same things about movies like "the Patriot", "Gladiator", and the Sharpe books/TV series. I really liked Gladiator and the Sharpe stuff, but "the Patriot" was pretty horrible. I think a wait and see approach is best here, before people start crucifying it as the next Stealth or whatever. Besides, Thermopolyae is such a great story, as evidenced by Pressfield's excellent book, that it should make a compelling movie going experience......

....If done right.

I'd like to see Frank Miller direct or co-direct a movie that would bring back memories- a Robocop sequel. People bag on Robo 2 and 3 which Miller was a part of, but give him the freedom on a new Robocop (I'm sure Peter Weller would turn it down, maybe alter the suit suit a tad for a new actor) and he could probably do something close to the dark humor that Verhoven nailed so well in the first one. A squad of ED-209s done with CG in a street war, have a ED-210 go after Robo...ideas aplenty...

yeah, and the 'ancient historical epic battle' genre has the kiss of death on it. Troy, Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven all stank.

hehe, I'd like to see a live action movie of Hard Boiled.  :o

320870[/snapback]

Isn't Hard Boiled already live action?

hehe, I'd like to see a live action movie of Hard Boiled.  :o

320870[/snapback]

Isn't Hard Boiled already live action?

321016[/snapback]

Two different stories... you're thinking John Woo's HK action movie and we're talking about Frank Miller so Guppy means the comic book about the tax collector that goes haywire.

Edited by >EXO<

my my my..........aren't we running out of things to post. :lol:

321019[/snapback]

What? I think all that Sony ass kissing has finally gotten to your brain. next time you lick your PSP make sure you take out the batteries... :rolleyes:

I'd like to see Frank Miller direct or co-direct a movie that would bring back memories- a Robocop sequel. People bag on Robo 2 and 3 which Miller was a part of, but give him the freedom on a new Robocop (I'm sure Peter Weller would turn it down, maybe alter the suit suit a tad for a new actor) and he could probably do something close to the dark humor that Verhoven nailed so well in the first one. A squad of ED-209s done with CG in a street war, have a ED-210 go after Robo...ideas aplenty...

321015[/snapback]

Ooh, a new Robocop, that would be sweet.

321015[/snapback]

Ooh, a new Robocop, that would be sweet.

321090[/snapback]

You guys think that a new Robocop would be good? I'm one of the few that liked part 2 and I know no one liked part 3.

They'd need to jump far ahead to make another Robocop, leave all the storylines, about the strike and Lewis, behind. Maybe make Murphy the old model and have the police force over run with newer less reliable Robocops.

I never saw those TV movies that they made.

I liked the TV movies they made. They are set 10 years after the Robocop movies.Good ideas. Flashbacks to Murphy's past, his partner before Lewis haunts him, and he doesn't know Robo is Murphy. Murphy's son is on the CEO fast track at OCP...All whilst Robo is feeling his age, getting out of date, difficult to find replacement parts, nobody visits the basement anymore. He's old news and just a mothball in the background.