Sony Playstation 3 (PS3)!

Since Spiderman and the Playstation are Sony's Cash cows, it's not surprising to see Spiderman movie font on the system...and there was Spiderman music in many of the trailers. :lol:

I didn't even pick up on that. That's pretty funny. I wonder if anything Spider-man now will be made as launch games.

I don't know if Spidey will make PS3 launch, but a game based on the Ultimate Spider-Man comic book series will be out this fall. Apparently, you'll get to play some levels as Venom.

Thanks for sharing Capt. Update. Only I know about that game and don't care since I hate that book series (I sold off the comics which I got as a default subscription from Marvel to replace dead books like Gen X). Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if yet another Spidey game was used for a PS3 launch at the rate Sony is going.

The Xbox 360 was first "leaked" to have 512mb of RAM through the image of a clock on the ourcolony.net thing, but it was firmly announced at the MTV thing. And last I checked, 512 is more than the 256 that they stuffed in the PS3.

Yes, the processing power in both systems is 3.2GHz. But, unless I read it wrong, there's one 3.2GHz Cell chip in the PS3, but three 3.2GHz chips in the 360. While that doesn't exactly translate to the same as having a 9.6GHz processor, that's still better than one 3.2GHz chip.

It's the video card that's the real difference. The Xbox 360 has a slick custom built card, but the PS3s card is insane. Too bad it lacks the Xbox 360's bus speeds, though.

Oh, and for the record, the original PlayStation was very easy to program for, since it used a version of C. Just the PS2 was a bitch to program for.

Both the Xbox and the Xbox 360 should be easy to program for.

People seem to miss read the fact that the PS3 has 512 meg of RAM and not just 256(the stats clearly state 2 different types of RAM). And yeah 512 isn't much these days.... for a computer! These are consoles and if I remember right the PS2 only had 8 meg or so. A hugh change to be sure!

The X360 doesn't run at 9.6 GHZ it runs at 3.2 in parallel the same as the Cell does (though I'm sure their are people just waiting to overclock the X306). You forget that the Cell is a system of processors not just a single CPU. Same idea different process.

Both systems will be easy to program for.

The Xbox 360 was first "leaked" to have 512mb of RAM through the image of a clock on the ourcolony.net thing, but it was firmly announced at the MTV thing.  And last I checked, 512 is more than the 256 that they stuffed in the PS3.

Yes, the processing power in both systems is 3.2GHz.  But, unless I read it wrong, there's one 3.2GHz Cell chip in the PS3, but three 3.2GHz chips in the 360.  While that doesn't exactly translate to the same as having a 9.6GHz processor, that's still better than one 3.2GHz chip.

It's the video card that's the real difference.  The Xbox 360 has a slick custom built card, but the PS3s card is insane.  Too bad it lacks the Xbox 360's bus speeds, though.

Oh, and for the record, the original PlayStation was very easy to program for, since it used a version of C.  Just the PS2 was a bitch to program for.

Both the Xbox and the Xbox 360 should be easy to program for.

People seem to miss read the fact that the PS3 has 512 meg of RAM and not just 256(the stats clearly state 2 different types of RAM). And yeah 512 isn't much these days.... for a computer! These are consoles and if I remember right the PS2 only had 8 meg or so. A hugh change to be sure!

The X360 doesn't run at 9.6 GHZ it runs at 3.2 in parallel the same as the Cell does (though I'm sure their are people just waiting to overclock the X306). You forget that the Cell is a system of processors not just a single CPU. Same idea different process.

Both systems will be easy to program for.

I would agreed with you that consuls are differnt than computers but since xbox came in I don't think that any more besides if you look at the stats how many parts that computers have too?

besides its not because its the computer that 512 is nothing nowadays (well alittle ;) ) but the manufacturing process to pump them out at high volume at pennies each.

I bet the linux project would love to put the os onto this consul.

Why's the damned power switch in the back again!?! It's stupid to put an electronic unit's power switch in the back like that!!! Damnit! DAMNIT!!!

Dangard Ace- According the news release, The WiFI/PSP is so that the PSP can be used as a controller, with the the PSP screen giving you tactical information.

Don't panic. There's a switch in the front under the loading slot. It's flush so it probably is touch sensitive. It mars the aesthetic design when you have a flip switch sticking out in the front, so they put it in the back - just like the PS2.

I think Sony should've left the hard switch off entirely.

No one reaches around behind their PC to kill the hard power switch on their ATX computer.

No one unplugs their TV, VCR, or stereo to force it out of standby mode.

Why is the PS2 special?

Just leave it in standby like you do every other piece of equipment in the house.

Why's the damned power switch in the back again!?! It's stupid to put an electronic unit's power switch in the back like that!!! Damnit! DAMNIT!!!

Dangard Ace- According the news release, The WiFI/PSP is so that the PSP can be used as a controller, with the the PSP screen giving you tactical information.

Don't panic. There's a switch in the front under the loading slot. It's flush so it probably is touch sensitive. It mars the aesthetic design when you have a flip switch sticking out in the front, so they put it in the back - just like the PS2.

I think Sony should've left the hard switch off entirely.

No one reaches around behind their PC to kill the hard power switch on their ATX computer.

No one unplugs their TV, VCR, or stereo to force it out of standby mode.

Why is the PS2 special?

Just leave it in standby like you do every other piece of equipment in the house.

I do. :D

* Xbox 360 -> 1 chip, 3 identical cores in it, all running at 3.2GHz. 512 MB of general purpose RAM, 10 MB extra for GPU caché (that can access main memory too).

* PS3 -> 1 chip, 1 core for coordination and simple operations and 7 more for advanced vector operations, all running at 3.2 GHz. 512 MB, 256 of them for CPU (general purpose), the other 256 for GPU.

* 512 MB of memory in PCs vs. 512 MB in consoles -> consoles don't need:

1) Several programs at the same time (antivirus + browser + game + whatever)

2) Thus, a multi-tasking operating system

3) a GUI for the OS

4) multiple drivers (apart from GFX card, printers, keyboard, mouse, motherboard and what not).

So yeah, 512 MB are bound to be pretty good for a next-gen console. Xbox had 64 MB total (including video memory) and the games looked as good as its contemporary PC versions.

Since Spiderman and the Playstation are Sony's Cash cows, it's not surprising to see Spiderman movie font on the system...and there was Spiderman music in many of the trailers. :lol:

I didn't even pick up on that. That's pretty funny. I wonder if anything Spider-man now will be made as launch games.

I don't know if Spidey will make PS3 launch, but a game based on the Ultimate Spider-Man comic book series will be out this fall. Apparently, you'll get to play some levels as Venom.

Thanks for sharing Capt. Update. Only I know about that game and don't care since I hate that book series (I sold off the comics which I got as a default subscription from Marvel to replace dead books like Gen X). Just saying I wouldn't be surprised if yet another Spidey game was used for a PS3 launch at the rate Sony is going.

Look, I know you're easily antagonized, but was that really called for? How the hell am I supposed to know what games you do and don't know about? You asked about a new Spidey game, I told you what I knew.

If I had to guess, though, no, I don't think that there will be a Spidey game for PS3 launch. As far as I know, Activision still holds the game rights, and they still have Treyarch working on Ultimate Spider-Man. If the PS3 is going to launch in the spring of 2006, I don't think that's enough time to crank out another game, unless they handed development to another studio. A more likely scenario will be that a Spider-Man game for the PS3 will come out around the same time as the third movie.

Can't say I'm impressed with the casing, and I'm even less impressed with the controler. God I hope that controler isn't a finalized design.

I all I can say is, I keeping my PS2 around for a little longer, I'm not makeing the mistake of picking one up at launch, only to have it die the following year. But Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, it's going to be hard holding out, for the second model.

Look, I know you're easily antagonized, but was that really called for? How the hell am I supposed to know what games you do and don't know about? You asked about a new Spidey game, I told you what I knew.

If I had to guess, though, no, I don't think that there will be a Spidey game for PS3 launch. As far as I know, Activision still holds the game rights, and they still have Treyarch working on Ultimate Spider-Man. If the PS3 is going to launch in the spring of 2006, I don't think that's enough time to crank out another game, unless they handed development to another studio. A more likely scenario will be that a Spider-Man game for the PS3 will come out around the same time as the third movie.

See, Mikey, therein lies your problem. You like hearing yourself talk whether you know it or not. So you tend to just go off on tangents and add info and details nobody asked for. I didn't ask about a new Spidey game. I first said I didn't pick up on how Spidey was tied in to the PS3 in ads then wondered if Sony would make Spider-man game a launch title. Didn't ask for any info on the next upcoming Spidey game which any up to date gamer knows about. Lay off the tangents because they make you come off as a know it all about games which can get annoying and yes, I do get annoyed easily. (I know lots of people like you offline who are all trying to get out of that bad habit).

Now this post of yours is more on target reply wise to what I was saying. Youire right that the a PS3 game would most likely be released with Spidey 3.

You know what, Jem? I sincerely apologize, and for a change, I'm going to agree with you 100%. But you know already that I work in retail, but I gotta point out, I live in a white trash podunk town where I swear most of my customers have never even heard of the internet. I'm used to explaining things to people as if they've never heard of any of this stuff. When you asked about Spidey, even though I've known you to make informed (if a tad condescending) statements, I went into work mode and assumed that you didn't know Ultimate Spidey was already in the works (and that cramming out another new game for PS3 launch would be unlikely).

Next time you ask a question, I'll try to remember to be more to the point. ;)

Edited by mikeszekely

On the Gundam game thing.... well poo Bandai! Yet another 1 year war game, way to go  :)

Another one year war game ^^ Awesome there is more tales of the One Year War left to tell... they need an igLoo game now, Seig ZEON!

I'm with Abombz on this one... the One Year War is a dead horse. There's been a ridiculous number of side stories, on top of how many games that are actually just covering the TV series/movie trilogy. There's a lot more untapped potential (and a lot more MS designs) in just Zeta to Victory (AU, especially SEED, gets enough attention).

You know what, Jem? I sincerely apologize, and for a change, I'm going to agree with you 100%. But you know already that I work in retail, but I gotta point out, I live in a white trash podunk town where I swear most of my customers have never even heard of the internet. I'm used to explaining things to people as if they've never heard of any of this stuff. When you asked about Spidey, even though I've known you to make informed (if a tad condescending) statements, I went into work mode and assumed that you didn't know Ultimate Spidey was already in the works (and that cramming out another new game for PS3 launch would be unlikely).

Next time you ask a question, I'll try to remember to be more to the point. ;)

LOL Thanks.