Yamato 1/48 vs 1/60 - Detachable parts?

armentage

I was reading the newbie FAQ and it mentioned that the Yamato 1/48ths are "perfect" variable, where as the 1/60ths are not (some parts detach)

Anyone care to discuss the differences in detail? Is it minor things like hands/head/etc, or do the legs come off at the hip and re-attach? Or worse yet, does the nose-cone come off completely?

the 1/60's have detachable legs, you have to put the antenna in when in gerwalk(plus the gerwalk sucks), you have to take the heatshield/canopy on and off each time you TF them.

with the 1/48's, you don't have to do any of the above other than it has the gunpod strap which you have to take on and off.

Why do the legs detach?  Is there some sort of assembly that goes around the nose-cone that acts as the hips in battroid form?

why does the sun come up? does god really exist? :unsure:

i dunno, thats how yamato first designed them. :D

the legs have pegs, the nose cone has a removable "plug". you remove the plug and insert the pegs inot the nose cone when in battroid mode.

if you're debating which one to get, get the 1/48 cause they're becoming scarce and the prices have only been going up.

1/60's have been out longer butmost people sold them off to buy 1/48's....i do not fall into this catagory cause i have them all. :D

Edited by haterist

No, there's holes in the nosecone where the legs attach. No assembly piece you need to add. Really, other than swapping out the heatshield/canopy, and removing then reattaching the legs there's nothing that really needs to be removed or added. There's little pieces like additional hands you have the option of swapping between, the backpack antenna for gerwalk mode, missles, and a filler piece for the nosecone hole that you have the option of using.

The removable legs for the 1/60 sale was Yamato's way of avoiding an ugly swing bar like the old Bandai 1/55ths and the Toynami Robotech toys use. However, the legs of the 1/60 scale have these huge, ugly hip bulges that make the whole idea mute.

Also, for the record, I've not once removed the gunstrap for my 1/48s. It tucks neatly to the side when carried beneath the Valkyrie in fighter mode.

Also, for the record, I've not once removed the gunstrap for my 1/48s. It tucks neatly to the side when carried beneath the Valkyrie in fighter mode.

neatly to the side? but its an eye sore. :blink:

if you couldn't see it, it would be fine otherwise you have this rubber strap thingy hanging from underneath the valk.

then again, i don't have this problem cause i have multiple gunpods for fighter modes and battroid modes.

and don't get fresh, i know what you sicko's are thinking. :p

Edited by haterist

Thanks for all yoru replies guys. I did some more poking around the MW.com Toys section, and found the videos and pictures showing how the different models trasnform (Most are down under the Yamato VF-1J links)

Anyway, I decided to pass on the 1/60ths for now, though I might still pick up one of the more elaborate 1/60s (E-Lint or GBP!)

Looks like you really need to sink a small fortune into a 1/48th collection ;)

Looks like you really need to sink a small fortune into a 1/48th collection ;)

No kidding.

But wait for the 1/48 GBP. That will be something.

There are going to be some possible custom conversion kits for the 1/48s to change them to VE and VT later on in the year if all goes as planned.

Methinks a release of Max VF-1J will come out soon. I just got this gut feelin. :mellow:

Personally I think having the gunstrap is a pain in the ass in other modes besides battroid. Mine ended up ripping where the ring attaches to the end. Grr. Now everytime I want to transform into fighter, the strap hangs down and detaches from the ring. Taking it off looks much better.

Okay so I pulled the trigger on a 1/48th VF-1S, but I have not received it yet.

ANYWAY, new question: Does the 3rd Edition VF-1S incorporate the improvements made to the VF-1A DYRL Max?

I've been reading that the original VF-1S 1/48th had some issues with the way nose-cone was held in place, and some of the smaller parts were too fragile. These issues are proported to have been fixed on the DYRL Max 1/48th.

Do the re-issues of the VF-1S incorporate those improvements?

While I'm asking, do the Max/Milia VF-1Js with booster packs have these changes?

YES :lol: and NO <_<

THe second edition Roy had the updated nosecone that (sorta) keeps it from falling off when you transform it, as well as some updated wing flap connections since those used to like to fly off with a passing glance on the series 1 1/48's, and it fixed the crooked skull issue on the series 1 Roy.

Now, the series 3 roy, was not really done to fix issues, rather than fill demand, so it has all the same features as the series 2 EXCEPT, we get crooked skulls again on the series 3 Roy.

The nosecones fall off (during xformation) no matter what you do. So really, it's a question of detachable legs, or detachable penis. :lol:

I've said it before, but I like saying it again, don't buy the 1/60s

There ain't nothing wrong with the 1/60s. I know they aren't a perfect trasformation, but they feel much sturdier in the hand then the 1/48s due to the greater amount of die cast metal used. Also they don't suffer from the bane of the 1/48's existence - the dreaded BP8! I love my 1/48 because it looks so damn detailed but it sits displayed on the shelf and is never touched, while I have no qualms about handling and transforming my 1/60.

sturdier? I doubt that. My 1.60 is a wobbling mess , its missles can;t even stay on, andd hell standing up is a chore and those legs keep falling out. The 1.60 was clearly meant for diecast collectors, not people who play with their toys. The loose landing gear is a joke. The 1/.48 was made to be played with and BP8 is not as bad once you figure out what to avoid. HEll I manhandle my 1/48 from time to time and its great. It aint no bandai but its great. The 1/60 is far less playable.

Now, the series 3 roy, was not really done to fix issues, rather than fill demand, so it has all the same features as the series 2 EXCEPT, we get crooked skulls again on the series 3 Roy.

So crooked skulls -- any other flaws/design problems with the 3rd reissue Roys?

I guess there are 2 "revs" of the valk, the original, and the 2nd one with the nose-cone grooves & flaps. There just happen to be 2 production runs of the Rev 2 Roys. Is that accurate?

Edited by armentage

OMG MY ROY JUST ARRIVED~~ Wish me luck everyone!

Damn it, I can't open it here because...

I'm working on the trading floor of a major NYC investment bank, and I will get eaten alive by the traders if they see it :(

I'll have to wait till I get home... 5 hours UGH!!

Edited by armentage

I'm working on the trading floor of a major NYC investment bank, and I will get eaten alive by the traders if they see it :(

SELL! SELL!

sturdier? I doubt that. My 1.60 is a wobbling mess , its missles can;t even stay on, andd hell standing up is a chore and those legs keep falling out. The 1.60 was clearly meant for diecast collectors, not people who play with their toys. The loose landing gear is a joke. The 1/.48 was made to be played with and BP8 is not as bad once you figure out what to avoid. HEll I manhandle my 1/48 from time to time and its great. It aint no bandai but its great. The 1/60 is far less playable.

I see where you're coming from. by "sturdier" i didn't mean the 1/60 was more playable than the 1/48, but less likely to break. I think I may be jaded about the 1/48s because even after reading the transformation guides here and knowing what to be careful with, the BP8 on my very first one came right off on like the third time I ever transformed it.

no, OPEN IT! Maybe they will be so impressed they will throw some trading money Yamato's way.