XBOX 360?

Ladic

Anyone catch the "uneviling" of the XBox 360 on MTV?

Spent way too much time talking to lame celebrities instead of showing the system and games.

Perfect Dark looks really... mediocre. Glad to see Rare is continuing it's downward spiral. <_<

Yes. Eventually they'll be back to doing video game versions of Wheel of Fortune and tarot cards.

hmmmm......I must say that I didn't really see anything special in the way of XBOX 360 games. Even the frame rate seemed awfully slow.

At least the unit itself ended up being the pics we all saw leaked last week on the net so there was no real surprise there....but I still like it's sexy appeal. Let's just hope it can walk the walk this holiday season.

A few clips of the new Madden, Tiger Woods, Tony Hawk and some other games. While graphically impressive they are nothing I'd buy or rent.

Shelling out the money for a console is hard enough, considering how many good games come out around the holidays and will still be coming out for the current-gen consoles. And I happen to really enjoy Tiger Woods golf, so that and Perfect Dark Zero will probably be my launch games.

XBox 360 is fairly powerful last I heard.

Was supposed to be 3 3 GHz PowerPC chips last I heard. That's a lot of power for emulation.

Mac Mini has a 1.42 GHz G4(which is PowerPC-based too).

Xbox has a 800MHz Pentium 3.

To be more specific, they're saying that the Xbox 360 will have three 3.2GHz, for a grand total of over 9 and a half gigs of processing power. Not to mention that the technology they're licensing from NEC is supposed to all but eliminate the frontside bus so it doesn't get slowed up there. If it means that I can get rid of my current Xbox, I'll take the emulation.

Oh, and IIRC, the original Xbox was actually 733MHz.

well, 3x3.2GHz don't equal to 9.5GHz of power, not in engineering terms.

It just means that there are 3 cpu working together, sharing the work load.

Xbox and X360 are 2 very different complex system and they work very differently. Running Xbox game on X360 will need a very powerful emulation program that fully emulate the game with Xbox instruction set and Xbox Live. The big problem is emulaton is not easy thing... that's why PS2 has a PS1 built-in

I doubt we will see this emulation program coming out soon. Even it is out, can it have fully emulate graphic intensive Xbox games... Don't bet on it.

Spent way too much time talking to lame celebrities instead of showing the system and games.

Perfect Dark looks really... mediocre. Glad to see Rare is continuing it's downward spiral.  <_<

Yes. Eventually they'll be back to doing video game versions of Wheel of Fortune and tarot cards.

Really depressing, considering what a powerhouse they were in the late 90's. I think Donkey Kong 64 was the last of the line, everything since then has been downhill for them. KInd of funny, everyone criticized Nintendo for selling them, and Rare hasn't produced a decent product since the sale. Maybe Nintendo has some business sense after all. :lol:

The more I see it, the less the design of the XBox 360 bothers me. Same thing with the lack of backwards compatibility, I have an XBox so it's not a huge issue for me. The big question is where I'm gonna find the room to store all these damn systems.

The big problem is emulaton is not easy thing... that's why PS2 has a PS1 built-in

Myth: PS2 is hardware-compatible with PS1.

Fact: PS2 has the PS1 CPU in it, but emulates the rest of the system.

I doubt we will see this emulation program coming out soon. Even it is out, can it have fully emulate graphic intensive Xbox games... Don't bet on it.

I'd bet one will be ready at launch.

And that it'll be close to 100% compatible.

It seems that some video from ourcolony.net shows Xbox 360s running Xbox 1 software. The video should still be taken with a grain of salt, but it does look like the Xbox 360 will run current-gen Xbox games afterall.

You can read the story here.

One thing that might get a little overlooked in all the "look at Gigaflops on that!" stuff... :rolleyes:

The X-Box 360s visualiser - thats the thing that plays pretty images while you play CDs - has been programmed by something of a UK games industry legend: Jeff Minter.

I'm not sure how well known he is in the US, but stuff hes worked on before includes Tempest 2000 for the Jaguar and Tempest 3000 for the Nuon (plus a load of classic and off-the-wall 8-bit games). Jeff has always been admired for his stuff, but hes generally had the misfortune of working on hardware that wasn't very successful commercially (at least on the "current" hardware platforms).

Jeff has long been experimenting with things called "light-synths" - a fusion of audio and sound experience - and the X-Box 360 visualiser has allowed him and some colleagues to acheive a long-held ambition.

http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/ for more information, though the servers are being hit a little hard by Jeffs loyal fanbase and so things might be a touch slow at the moment (the X-Box announcement was largely secret until today).

I've seen a little of the smaller preview video from the site and I think the best way I can sum it up is "the stargate sequence from 2001 - on steroids!"

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Yes F-01 indeed the UK have talented/skilled programers, back in the 80`s especially with C-64 and the Amiga like Bob Stevenson (I.O. C64 shooter) and the Chris Buttler who programed most of Sega`s arcade conversions, Commando and Ghosts n Goblins for the C-64.

Nintendo strikes back (well sort of) :

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=6255

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=6256

One thing that might get a little overlooked in all the "look at Gigaflops on that!" stuff... :rolleyes:

The X-Box 360s visualiser - thats the thing that plays pretty images while you play CDs - has been programmed by something of a UK games industry legend: Jeff Minter.

I'm not sure how well known he is in the US, but stuff hes worked on before includes Tempest 2000 for the Jaguar and Tempest 3000 for the Nuon (plus a load of classic and off-the-wall 8-bit games). Jeff has always been admired for his stuff, but hes generally had the misfortune of working on hardware that wasn't very successful commercially (at least on the "current" hardware platforms).

Jeff has long been experimenting with things called "light-synths" - a fusion of audio and sound experience - and the X-Box 360 visualiser has allowed him and some colleagues to acheive a long-held ambition.

http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/ for more information, though the servers are being hit a little hard by Jeffs loyal fanbase and so things might be a touch slow at the moment (the X-Box announcement was largely secret until today).

I've seen a little of the smaller preview video from the site and I think the best way I can sum it up is "the stargate sequence from 2001 - on steroids!"

Minter's quite popular among the segment of the US market that consists of Jaguar fans and a good portion of retrogamers.

He also wrote the lightshow for the JaguarCD and Nuon.

As far as I know, however, he was NOT involved in the original Atari-made stereo component visualizer from the early(pre-VCS, if I recall) days of the industry.

Amusing sidenote: According to rumor, Sears-Roebuck executives, when shown the original device, promptly asked what the engineers were smoking. And were equally promptly answered as one drew forth a bag of weed.

And Insert Credit has a tongue-in-cheek blurb about his XBox 360 lightshow program.

News: Xbox 360 kiss of death (Neon)

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, Microsoft - it tolls for thee, not me. Jeff Minter, obsessively loved by fans of quirky llama-based games, is apparently making a Virtual Light Machine, a winamp visualization-like program (naturally predating winamp) that syncs trippy visuals with music played, for the Xbox 360. While exciting to those that play games, Microsoft has reason to be concerned. Take note of the two previous consoles to feature a VLM from Minter: The Jaguar. The Nuon. Nintendo and Lionhead Studios were so afraid that Minter's game Unity would bankrupt both companies, that they scrapped it during development. Microsoft's time is limited, so get your 360 before it becomes a collector's item!

P.S. We love Minter!

Nintendo's going to have to do a lot more than hint at the size of the Revolution to win me back. As in, demonstrate that they have more third-party support, and show me that the Revolution won't be as gimmicky (or worse) than the DS.

Nintendo's going to have to do a lot more than hint at the size of the Revolution to win me back. As in, demonstrate that they have more third-party support, and show me that the Revolution won't be as gimmicky (or worse) than the DS.

Exactly. As much as I love Nintendo, I need more incentive to get their next gen console.

Ya same here. Nintendo has really lost me. Everything released after the SNES, except for the GBA/GBASP has been disappointing. I wouldn't be surprised that in two years the DS will no longer be supported.

gentlemen, I cant seem to figure this out. IS XBOXlive going to be in a free version on 360? Maybe I misread the stuff at adctalk.com

Some of the features will be free, like voice chat and the ability to play subscription-based MMOGs (you'd have to pay the subscription to the game, though). Other online gaming and the videoconferencing will mean you have to sign up for the gold service. Current Xbox Live subscribers will automatically be upgraded to gold.

wait so mike for example, if i wanted to play halo 2 on live, i would have to get premium? Or ninja gaiden?

That's looking to be the case, but it's looking to be that the premium will cost the same as regular Xbox Live, and that the free Xbox Live Silver will only allow access to certain features.

Square Enix to release a port of FFXI for the Xbox360

You forgot to mention the best part of that article... the 360 is going to be backwards compatible.

The PS3 is out and Xbox 360's 15 minutes of fame have gone by.

Don't be too sure. While I'm certainly intrigued by the power the PS3 is supposed to have, the launch line up looks to be crappy sequels to franchises past their primes. Not to mention that it is by far the ugliest console I've ever seen with a controller that'll give you cramps 10 minutes into a game.

You forgot to mention the best part of that article... the 360 is going to be backwards compatible.

You mean limited backwards compatibility, only the games Bill chooses will be playable on Xbox360, thats as good as no compatibility at all LOL

They haven't said that it means that only Microsoft will choose which games are backwards compatible. Most people are reading that statement as Microsoft will make sure the big games are 100%, and most games should be fine, but their may be compatibility issues with some, which would be no different that Sony's backwards compatibility in the PS2.

You mean limited backwards compatibility, only the games Bill chooses will be playable on Xbox360, thats as good as no compatibility at all LOL

They haven't said that it means that only Microsoft will choose which games are backwards compatible. Most people are reading that statement as Microsoft will make sure the big games are 100%, and most games should be fine, but their may be compatibility issues with some, which would be no different that Sony's backwards compatibility in the PS2.

Microsoft will pick and choose only the most popular Xbox titles from its huge backlist of games and will most likely use emulator software for those limited titles.

This can only mean one thing, you know that as well as I do.

Well officially they are gonna try to go backwards compatible for all games. But they have to visit each game to do that according to my inside source at Microsoft. What does that mean? It could be very well they will make it backwards compatible but in time for the release? I dunno. I remember a couple of months ago my source said they wouldnt even do backwards compatibility.

Also DOA4 looks good as the launch title for X360.

DOA4 screenshot

I would be disappointed in Sony if they didnt make the PS3 backwards compatible. Even Nintendo Revolution is backwards compatible.

Well officially they are gonna try to go backwards compatible for all games. But they have to visit each game to do that according to my inside source at Microsoft. What does that mean? It could be very well they will make it backwards compatible but in time for the release? I dunno. I remember a couple of months ago my source said they wouldnt even do backwards compatibility.

DOA4 screenshot

I would be disappointed in Sony if they didnt make the PS3 backwards compatible. Even Nintendo Revolution is backwards compatible.

Maybe its just me... but those DOA4 screens don't look much better then DOA:U =/

DOA4 screenshot

it i backwards compatible to the psx. lol.

DOA4 screenshot

it i backwards compatible to the psx. lol.

PS3 is backwards compatible to both PS2 and PSX. I said I would be disappointed if Sony didnt do it.

Microsoft will pick and choose only the most popular Xbox titles from its huge backlist of games and will most likely use emulator software for those limited titles.

This can only mean one thing, you know that as well as I do.

Where are you pulling that quote from? The article I linked to says

Microsoft would only say that the console will be "backward-compatible with top-selling Xbox games." This ambiguous wording could mean that Microsoft will select which titles will run on the next-gen console. However, it could also simply mean that Microsoft is merely being prudent in case some original Xbox titles don't work on the 360, as was the case with some older PlayStation 1 games and the PlayStation 2.

Bottom line is, these days, backwards compatibility is vital for the short-term success of a console, until the older games really start to look dated and until the newer console's library starts to fill up with a solid variety of games. I don't think Microsoft is going to shoot themselves in the foot and alienate consumers by saying something like "Halo 2 will play on the Xbox 360, but Panzer Dragoon won't."

Edited by mikeszekely

Saw the Kameo game, looks amzaing! there is one sequence where the game had 1000 orc like creatures vs. another 1000 elves and you jump right into it! all in real time, the models looks good and each NPC has its own AI. IT was amazing. the game was running in 720P at 30fps during this sequence, but the lady said it will run at 60 frames with even more characters on screen when it comes out. The reaseon for that is that rare is runing it on a Alpha hardware.

Perfect Dark looks really... mediocre. Glad to see Rare is continuing it's downward spiral. <_<

You forget Conker!!! Conker is probably the best thing to happen to Rare.