Scratchbuilding Oberth

honneamise

If you want to do it I suggest selling the pattern to, or cast through Federation Models or another caster.  FM has a rotocaster and it does quite nice work.  I say don't worry about the casting issues.  There are many options.  If you build a matching ARMD model it can be cast quite affordably.

How much do you think one could sell a pattern like this one for?

Edited by Mule

That depends on who you are selling it to. If only 50 kits are going to be made I would just spend some money and have one of these guys cast for you and keep the original. I don't want to just throw a random number out there untill I go through it myself.

At the moment I´m working at all the small stuff that is still missing like the side intakes of the engines, the rounded hangar door at the bottom and the additional thrusters at the bottom. Not finished with these things so I´ll post pics later.

Before I add any of the strakes and fins that need to be glued on, I take some time engraving some panel lines. They are not in the lineart but I think the larger areas of the ship will need them to give an impression of size. They will be very decent though, nothing to distract from the rather clear lines of the ship, just enough to avoid a too plain look.

I hope to finish the build up next week and start making the molds then. For now I decided to do the casting myself, hope it turns out like I want it to be...

Bromgrev, I think ARMD is a bit further away than a week ;) even though I try to work as quick as I can, but I like this thing very much. I´ve already collected all the lineart I could gather. I´m just curious about which one to build... I´m more into the TV series and I like the "clean" version a lot, on the other hand the spiced up, cluttered-with-details DYRL version is most impressive....

post-3-1117718275_thumb.jpg

Guest Bromgrev

Sie haben Recht, Herr Demonplay!

Bromgrev, I think ARMD is a bit further away than a week ;)  even though I try to work as quick as I can, but I like this thing very much. I´ve already collected all the lineart I could gather. I´m just curious about which one to build... I´m more into the TV series and I like the "clean" version a lot, on the other hand the spiced up, cluttered-with-details DYRL version is most impressive....

Well, I vote for the TV version, myself. Is there a poll? :p

(Grayson72 @ Jun 2 2005, 08:37 AM)Go honneamise, go honneamise, it's ya birfday 

Birfday, Grayson72? :lol: same as birthday? well thanks, but that wasn´t taught at school and it´s not in my dictionary...

Lo-Pan I use the scribing templates from Trimaster, now marketed under the Hasegawa label, and I do the scribing with a steel needle. Sometimes I use a dedicated panel scriber, don´t know the brand but it is like the one from squadron. This is great for long, straight lines on even surfaces but I found out the plain needle is better for small or rounded lines.

The upper side was fun but it´s a pain to get the underside right, it´s all rounded and the surface material is not consistent ( styrene, filler, superglue).

I´ve just sanded a big blob of filler to resemble the hangar doors, still needs some finishing but looks ok in shape I think.

And yes, after a long look at various pics I say I like the TV ARMD better. Cleaner, more distinctive lines, not too many openings in the hull (the DYRL looks a bit like swiss cheese ;) ). I just wonder how to make some 1/1000 Valks cause a carrier needs planes....

post-3-1117780877_thumb.jpg

I just wonder how to make some 1/1000 Valks cause a carrier needs planes....

You're joking, right? :lol:

Those would come out to about a half inch or so. That'd be freakin' cool!

"Look! It's a micronized micronian fleet!"

Anyway... the machinists square will help me with gluing the parts together square but what about getting nice straight, square edges when cutting the styrene?

Hey Grayson, for styrene they sell these Midwest Hobby & Craft Square... awesome for measuring and cutting styrene.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/569530.asp

This scratchbuild looks awesome... can't wait to see it done.

Edited by >EXO<

Guest Bromgrev
I just wonder how to make some 1/1000 Valks cause a carrier needs planes....

Good idea! There must be some carrier models out there with F14s in nearly the right scale ... :)

I can shrink rubber molds. So making nice tine Valks is not a problem.

I concur about the sewing needle as a scribe tool. I figured out what makes it so great. When you break them they shatter at the breaking point. Not bend like other metals. That means that they are almost as hard as carbide.

I can shrink rubber molds. So making nice tine Valks is not a problem.

I concur about the sewing needle as a scribe tool. I figured out what makes it so great. When you break them they shatter at the breaking point. Not bend like other metals. That means that they are almost as hard as carbide.

But for 1/1000 you would need to shrink it a lot! I mean, the best looking Valk models are in 1/72 and 1/144 (Doyusha die cast? Resin?) From the 1/144 you would need to shrink it almost ten times. Is this possible without distortion?

Well guys this whole ARMD/ VF 1/1000 thing is really encouraging as there seems to be a real demand in Macross spaceship models. When I started this thread I only had a single step-by step scratchbuild in mind - I never even thought it would gain so much interest here as I considered the ships -apart from the SDF-1 of course- to be of only minor interest to most of the fans.

Now it gets a bit scary :huh: - I even find myself making sketches of tiny Valks or figuring out a parts breakdown for the ARMD..... instead I should finish the Oberth in the first place! Well I hope to get the parts done in about a week.

I am not sure but I guess it is time to start a new, dedicated interest thread to find out if there is enough demand to "mass-produce" this ship. I think if at least more than 20 people want one I´ll start making molds. I´ve been thinking about cost and ended up on an estimated 65-70 EURO each.

If you´re definitely interested in a kit please post in the new thread so I can figure out how much demand there really is.

As for the ARMD, of course I like to make one but only after I finished the Oberth and only if you all like the model of course!!!!. I´ll go for the TV version if there´s enough interest - and of course Valkyrie feel free to make the movie version or anything you like, I love to see more ships built here!!!!

Guest Bromgrev
Yes, please make the TV ARMD. Cause I'm planning on making the movie one ^_^

Too much ARMD goodness! (as if there could ever be ...) :D

You definately underestimated the demand for Macross models here. Anything that hasn't been produced before or one that is more detailed or a differnt scale than one that has been previously produced will sell like crazy.

You'll also find that the more obscure the subject the more popular it is it seems.

I´ve built all the little fins and blisters now, after experimenting with more droptanks/bombs etc. from tiny aeroplane kits I finally went with "homebuilt" styrene bits because this was the only way to get the shape spot on.

post-3-1118159734_thumb.jpg

Sorry this pic is too long :huh: Here is a size comparison with a Hasegawa VF-1. The Oberth is not so tiny anymore. I really have to finish the engine to get it cast, this looks just plain stupid with only one attached<_<

post-3-1118160233_thumb.jpg

more progress...I actually got many things done yesterday but this is more in the small details section.

One thing I´ve been working on is the "intake" which goes to each outer side of the engine. I made the part with two 1.5mm plates glued onto each other, then another 0.5mm in front and behind the recessed area.

To get a good fit to the engine I made the cut out, depressed section in the engine side bigger than required, placed the intake in the middle, then glued very thin styrene stripes exactly around the part. I filled all remaining gaps with superglue, removed the intake and sanded the whole thing flat until I got a smooth surface. Now I have a real tight fit! :D

post-3-1118213377_thumb.jpg

Finally my ship received its "radar mast"-or whatever it is carrying on top of this thing.

I cut the main mast in two and glued the lower part to the bridge. Easier for building the kit I hope!

To get the mast assembly I filed a styrene strip to the required "aerodynamic" shape. The dark part is a stryrene rod (profile built in) which came with an Aeroclub biplane kit (they provide these for the wing struts).

The "wing antenna" is just sheet cut to shape, then sanded to get a profile as well. According to the front view in the Perfect Memory book, the wing should be 3cm wide, but this looked way too large to me so I went with only 2 cm since it looks better when compared to the other lineart.

post-3-1118214320_thumb.jpg

Some more parts...

On the left you can see one of the strange looking tubes that are attached to the front outer edges of the engines. 4 are needed - I decided to multiply the one here so all of them will look exactly the same. The "skin" between the plastic rods will be needed for a proper casting, it is very thin and will be easy to remove I hope. This seems to be the most feasible way of casting these very fiddly parts. If they turn out well you will not need to scratchbuild any tiny parts when building the model ;)

The right pic shows a bulkhead with two tiny boxes (still not attached toit) - this will fit inside the recess behind the hangar. Two auxiliary engines (you can see one here) will be glued to the boxes.

Strange, these parts were the last ones to build! Actually, I´m almost done now. :D:D:D

The next step will be to cast all the parts I built only once but need two or more (most obviously, another engine!!!). If I have them I can show you the WHOLE model in all its glory!

post-3-1118234197_thumb.jpg