Custom Hasegawa Models

ChristopherB

Hello,

MW has a custom section for toys, how about a reference section for custom Macross models? It seems only fair and fitting, and it will be an easy way to keep track of what's been done rather than searching through threads and the web.

Anyway, here are some of my customs, built for me, not by me. (2) pictures of each.

I'll post more pictures as soon as possible. The customs have become quite an investment, but I prefer 1/72 scale because of the display size, and the level of detail featured by Hasegawa. For example, all kits feature as applicable:

Kit price

Standard Photo-Etch Set

VF-1D Photo-Etch Set (special HLJ order)

Display Stand

Weapons Set

Custom Anasazi Decals (Engima/Blue Roses Versions/Etc.)

Starting with the VE-1 Digital Camouflage "Green Roses":

GreenRosesVE-1i.jpg

GreenRosesVE-1g.jpg

Enjoy, and please feel free to post your comments.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Edited by ChristopherB

Nice stuff! You should really mention the name of whoever did those for you, they deserve some credit and praise.

As for that "lucky number" I call bingo once a month for my church and I have to say that O-69 is the only number I can call out with real emotion every time! ;):lol:

Edited by jardann

Good idea, however, since models are blank canvases anyway, are these really "customs"? The angel birds is a canon color scheme, so IMHO, not a custom job.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it must refer to modified hase kits that have been cut and modded, polycapped etc to do something they were not originally designed to to. Or, have had custom parts made to augment them etc. To me, that is a custom job.

So, you may want to break the section up into Completed, and Custom sections.

Those kits are beautiful and definitely need to be on the site somewhere!

Edit - Also, I agree with showing breaking down the details of what went into the kit, but I'm not so sure about the "custom commission price". It would be really easy for that to denegrate into a "look how much I spend on Macross" competition.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Well personally I like a lot to watch completed, finished, painted and weathered models, whether custom or not... so I think that a gallery with a predetermined number of shots for the best models made by MW forum members would be a very good idea. Just my 2 cents.

More pictures coming soon!

I'm posting them to share with my fellow MW fans.

Jesse, you are more than welcome to use any of the pictures you want my friend.

Edited by ChristopherB

I'll post the creators name as soon as he says its all right. I'm sure he'll be proud to see his name mentioned in this thread, but I want to respect his privacy as well. ;)

Edited by ChristopherB

Guest Bromgrev
I'm not trying to fuel the whole "toys vs models" debate that seems to be raging, and I know this is the model section and all, and us Toy collectors aren't really welcome to post here but...

Since models are blank canvases anyway, are these really "customs"?  The angel birds is a canon color scheme, so IMHO, not a custom job. 

When I saw the thread title, I thought it must refer to modified hase kits that have been cut and modded, polycapped etc to do something they were not originally designed to to.  Or, have had custom parts made to augment them etc.  To me, that is a custom job.

So, you may want to break the section up into Completed, and Custom sections.

Those kits are beautiful and definitely need to be on the site somewhere!

Edit - Also, I agree with showing breaking down the details of what went into the kit, but I'm not so sure about the "custom commission price".  It would be really easy for that to denegrate into a "look how much I spend on Macross" competition.

IMO any kit with 'something added' is a custom. That goes whether it's a new set of decals or a complete resin-extra-bits makeover. Paint doesn't count! That aside, those are fine models. MW should definitely set aside a bit of space.

Where's the debate? If it's shiny, it's a toy! :D

Edited by Bromgrev

I think if they're obvious variations on an existing model then they should be included as part of the completed pictures of that kit in the models section. That way people can see all the different ways it can be build.

I do think they're should be a custom section however, for models like Alpha's 19 battroid or maybe my kitbash of the hase battroid and arii armored.

I agree; however, a custom does not have to be "modified" to be considered a "custom," or else all of the items listed in the custom toy section would have to be moved. Just like model kits, toys are blank canvasses as well that can be painted anyway desired.

The vast majority of toys and models are made out of plastic, and the only real difference is that a toy comes already assembled.

Chad's idea sounds good, but I caution that if we begin splitting hairs as to what constitutes a custom, and what doesn't, (2) separate sections will be needed, and who will be in charge of deciding? It's much easier to follow the example already set by the custom toy section, and just have one section for built model kits.

In my opinion if we get hung up on what is or isn't a custom, we are missing out on what matters about Macross, and that is our childlike enjoyment of a cartoon.

One of my favorites because I'm into WWII airplanes, and I don't believe anyone has done a Hasegawa like this. Some of us old timers of course remember Rick the Hunters Nazi Valkyrie, complete with Sig Heil arm position, but it was certainly different from this one:

LuftwaffeVF-1SStrike1.jpg

LuftwaffeVF-1SStrike2.jpg

Don't worry, I came up with plans for a future Hasegawa custom, which will be able to handle this German valkyrie. :ph34r: It's part of an alternate universe I've been working on.

Hayao, the lamented pilot who was so tragically killed. :( His fate was decided before he lived, because someone in the squadron had to die. One of my favorite valkyries, because I like green, and one of my favorite pilots because he also enjoyed two of my vices in life, women and steak. :lol:

HayaoVF-1ASuper1.jpg

HayaoVF-1ASuper2.jpg

All right, that's all of the pictures for now.

(6) more custom valkyries are planned, before we move on to Macross Plus and then Macross Zero.

I decided not to use 1/48 scale Yamato valkyries because of the large size. The Yamato 1/60 scale was considered, but I just can't get passed the too thin nosecone. I already commissioned a bunch of 1/55 valkyries, so that was not an option.

For me, the Hasegawa kits are the perfect choice because of the detail, decals, and the options.

Thanks to Devin and a custom decal order that was placed last year, I was able to get all of the limited Hasegawa sets reproduced, plus I commissioned some new sets, and ordered some of his existing sets. Here is the list and some pictures:

1.) Devin's Blue Roses (Dark Blue/Yellow Trim) 002 x 2 (with blue rose emblem)

2.) Devin's Blue Roses (Blue Camouflage) 004 x 2 (with blue rose emblem)

3.) Devin's Blue Roses (Desert Camouflage) 006 x 2 (with red rose emblem)

4.) Devin's Blue Roses (Green Camouflage) 008 x 2 (with green rose emblem)

5.) Devin's Low Visibility Squadron Set x 2

6.) Devin's Enigma Option Set x 2

7.) Devin's Minmay Guard Battroid Set x 4

8.) Hasegawa Option Set 1 x 4 Copies

9.) Hasegawa Option Set 2 x 4 Copies

10.) Hasegawa Option Set 3 x 4 Copies

11.) Hasegawa Limited Edition Minmay Guard Set x 4 Copies

12.) Hasegawa Clear Valkyrie Decal Sheet x 4 Copies

The vibrancy of the decals appear muted because of the decal paper, but once applied they are just like the original, but you don't have to worry about spending a lot of money just to cut up the original Hasegawa sets.

DevinsMacrossOptionDecalSets1.jpg

DevinsDecalsBR002.jpg

DevinsDecalsEnigma.jpg

Very very nice kits Chris. Thanks for letting me use the pics. I'm hoping to have the Hasegawa section up next and start showing off completed model pics. As the numbers of finished kits go up (and I finish the model section) I would be more then happy to do a custom model gallery section and move the appropriate pictures to that section. Cool?

nightmareB4macross,

I commissioned/bought quite a few 1/55 customs back-in-the-day when your only option was to find a halfway decent jetfire and have it painted/decaled to look like a Macross valkyrie. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed the custom valkyries.

• 1 month later...

One of my favorites:

Blue Roses VF-1S Strike (dark blue with yellow trim, the armor is a slightly lighter shade of blue to help offset the valkyrie and armor from each other.)

BlueRosesVF-1SStrike2.jpg

BlueRosesVF-1SStrike1.jpg

I came up with the idea that the rose color should match the predominate color of the valkyrie. The VE-1 Elintseeker has a green rose, and this one has a blue rose.

I decided to go without missiles to keep the look sleek and agile.

As with the others, all standard and applicable VF-1D PE parts are used.

Definately one of my favorites as well, the blue and the yellow (especially the stripe on the nose) it's just so Navy.

I'm definately going to reproduce one of these.

Great job 007, the shading is spot on!

Edited by Grayson72