How do I get this shade...?

Druna Skass

Guessing:

Cobalt blue with blood red. That's an incredibly "red" shade of purple. Do not dare add any sort of "bright" red for they are inherently orange, and orange+blue=brown=drab, and you need an intense color. Use pale blue (watch out for greenish-blues) to lighten if necessary, or even pinks/magenta. Actually, royal blue plus hot magenta might work pretty well.

Insignia Red is probably the brightest "non-orange/scarlet" red there is.

Best paint-mixing book I've found is "Yellow+Blue DOESN'T make Green" or something like that. Because it's very true because pigments are not "pure".

Depending on differences between paint/monitor/what you want, you may want to try EVA-01 purple. On TV (at least mine) EVA-01 is pretty "neutral" but a lot of models/paints of it lean towards the reddish side of purple.

Another option might be the Gundam Colour set for Cima's Gelgoog Marine. The purple looks pretty close. Take a look at the set HERE. The purple is on the right, but it's not as dark as it looks in the colour sample. Look at the kit picture instead.

there is a citadel color shade that looks very close. I don't remember the name and it will take me a while to locate my paints to check as I'm still unpacking. Actualy it might have been a crimson red with a purple wash I did once...

The nice thing about washes is you can do more to darken it to the shade you want.

Thanks for all the input, I was ablt to get something close to this color by mixing:

metalic red

insignia red

purple

dark blue

Unfortunatly I was in such a hurry I forgot my Gunbarrel Strike back in SF, so I ended up painting up an Alex in Neo's colors, I'll post it when the paint dries.

• 1 year later...
Another option might be the Gundam Colour set for Cima's Gelgoog Marine. The purple looks pretty close. Take a look at the set HERE. The purple is on the right, but it's not as dark as it looks in the colour sample. Look at the kit picture instead.

269308[/snapback]

would this purple also be good for the eva-01 purple? I am asking because i also want the light blue colour in this set, and its only $4.

I am also not experienced enough to mix all sorts of colours,

Experience only comes from doing. You have to start somewhere. You learn by making mistakes and then trying to fix them.

This is my way of saying give mixing a shot! You never know, you might find a colour you like even better!

Edited by Chas

Since the colour sets are out of stock everywhere, I think I found another substitute. Would you think the purple to the left is good for EVA-01?

Click here

the reason I dont wanna mix colours is because I dont have enough paints to try everything, nor am I willing to buy many paints just to build 1 model. I dont build mechs a lot, I just thought the EVA series is really pretty and creative.

Thanks for all the help!!

Edited by poonpower

Tamiya purple would be a good match

423837[/snapback]

Look who stole my answer! :D

The Cima purple is way too red for EVA-01. I've got the Gunze EVA-01 paint set, and Tamiya purple is almost spot-on. Most Gunze purples I've seen tend to be a little too dark for EVA-01, unless you want to give it a more sinister look.

Most purples in general are too red. 95% of all purple paint you can buy of any type is quite "red", when it seems 95% of the purples you see anywhere are way on the "blue" side of the scale. Even "Royal" purple, which most people consider to be very blue, is often times red when you try to buy some.

So check for redness! I've been disappointed many times by thinking I've found a good, bluish purple, only to actually test it and have it dry red.