Macross Special

waters7

Hey guys, a friend of mine is trying to sale to me this video for almost $100 bucks.

He is telling me that is one of the first macros videos that came out back in the 80's. Have anyone seen this video before?? Is it one of those Macross Specials??

Thanks for the info

post-19-1109431376_thumb.jpg

I'd ask for screenshots even IF it was real, just to see the quality and to determine how much deterioration has occurred. IMO you should not buy it unless it is extremely reasonably priced, VHS quality is not the best and then you have to worry about mold and it getting erased. If the quality is good, perhaps someone here can convert it into a dvd copy to preserve its contents. Ask around and good luck. :)

Yup. I did some research on it and asked my friend to play it.

It is the Macross Special I with the first 2 episodes on it.

I mentioned my fried the auction on yahoo japan and lowered the price to 20 bucks (I believe he needed his fix or something :p ). So anyways, I got my little piece of history, now I only need to find this Macross Special on VHD format...

Regards...

I have both of these I and II, and that price is not to much to ask from his POV.

The back of the case has a price of somewhere around 128,000 yen thats $121 U.S. in todays curency exchange rates. This guy is taking a loss if he spent that much 20 years ago. The quality of the tape is very high and can be felt in the weight of the video. Back in the 80's, I believe the thicker tape was used with video store copies as it was more durable, but more expensive.

As far as VHS releases, there wasn't a full VHS TV series release in Japan until 1992 so for almost 10 years the two videos; I Macross Special and II Lynn Minmei Special, were it.

I think its a great find if you are a hardcore collector and way too much if you just want to see the Macross Special :)

Can you describe the contents of this "special"?

Based on

It is the Macross Special I with the first 2 episodes on it.
the contents are the first two episodes of SDF Macross TV, as they were originally shown in 1982. That is, they were shown back-to-back, with special "eyecatch" footage before/after the commercial breaks, instead of the standard "eyecatch" used in the remaining episodes. Also, they had a different end title animation and (possibly, not sure) slightly different opening title animation. Part of the reason for the different footage was probably to hide the transforming nature of the Valkyries and the giant size of the Zentradi before they were revealed in the story.

Oddly/annoyingly, the Animeigo Macross DVDs don't preserve these differences. But they can be seen elsewhere including the Robotech Perfect Memory tape and the Macross 20th Anniversary DVD.

oh cool, there's 20 pages on Yahoo Jp of VHD discs and players. Its about time I added one of these to my stack of obscure format AV decks.

Teen Wolf is gonna look so sweet on genuine VHD!!! The dream? Jaws 3D on VHD with 3D decoder!!!

Blueray is for losers, '80s movies and Japanese 'Gravure' videos on VHD is the future.!

Catch the wave of the future at:

http://disclord.tripod.com/vhddiscworld/

It's totally rad.

oh cool, there's 20 pages on Yahoo Jp of VHD discs and players. Its about time I added one of these to my stack of obscure format AV decks.

Teen Wolf is gonna look so sweet on genuine VHD!!!  The dream? Jaws 3D on VHD with 3D decoder!!!

Blueray is for losers, '80s movies and Japanese 'Gravure' videos on VHD is the future.!

Catch the wave of the future at:

http://disclord.tripod.com/vhddiscworld/

It's totally rad.

And here I thought I'd heard of every media there was... Edited by JB0

• 2 weeks later...
the contents are the first two episodes of SDF Macross TV, as they were originally shown in 1982. That is, they were shown back-to-back, with special "eyecatch" footage before/after the commercial breaks, instead of the standard "eyecatch" used in the remaining episodes. Also, they had a different end title animation and (possibly, not sure) slightly different opening title animation. Part of the reason for the different footage was probably to hide the transforming nature of the Valkyries and the giant size of the Zentradi before they were revealed in the story.

Oddly/annoyingly, the Animeigo Macross DVDs don't preserve these differences. But they can be seen elsewhere including the Robotech Perfect Memory tape and the Macross 20th Anniversary DVD.

I recently got hold of the Australian DVD release of the Animeigo set, and the alternate opening (no Battroid VF-1J pose) and ending (sunset-lit fanracer) are on there as easter eggs.

I was a little annoyed when I first heard that they weren't gonna be included, but I found them by pure chance and now I'm happy. :)

I think the menu screens are set up differently for this release compared to the US one (to match the packaging design) so I can't really help you as to how to access it. On this set, you move the target/cursor around until a mini- UN Spacy sign appears, then click on that. Might to a review on that later.

Anyway, as for this videotape, the first time I heard of it was a few years ago as I saw it on the back of some Macross book (maybe Macross Graffitti). I was shocked at the huge price tag, but I suppose that at the time, rental was pretty much the only way to go.

I'm Australian and that's very interesting, thanks for the heads up Renato. Damn, now I have to buy the Australian set too!! Nah, I have the RT Perfect Collection tape with it anyway. That'll do.

Scary thing is that a lot of Japanese fans would have paid those prices for retail tapes back then due to the 'bubble economy' . It was hyper inflation back in the Japanese '80s but people had plenty of cash to pay for it apparantly!