Legioss Blue 1/35

Well, this is my first Mospeada custom (used Imai as a reference). I know the pic is awful, but my wife's digicam is on the frits. This pic was taken with my cell phone.

The custom was made from an original Japanese Gakken (totally yellowed, completed and unbroken). The torso swivels (look carefully) and the paint is scratch-proof, I used Plastikote (vinyl and plastic dye paint). I am completely surprised on how well this stuff works and hold ups to many transformations. Good stuff.

For now this is the only pic, more will be posted (better of course), in all three modes and various poses, in the future.

Check it out, and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Alex

post-26-1107893753_thumb.jpg

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Valk1J,

I actually cut the torso in half (yikes)!

After you cut the torso in half, the chest is then a seperate part and so is the new pelvic system.

***VERY IMPORTANT, in order to cut the torso you NEED a micro saw and a very patient and steady hand.

When the chest is put back together, you will note there is a cavity that can be filled with a rod or any joint system of your choice. When you cut it you will see what I mean. The same cavity will appear in the pelvis as well.

I'll try to post more pictures soon, so that you can see what I mean.

That's an impressive job! :D

I am curious as to the results of using the plastikote paints. Did it obscure any details or soften the plastic in any way? Did it cure fully and how long does it take to dry? It looks great from here!

p.s. did you get the stickers I sent you?

Great looking Legioss.

Just wondering. I went to the plastikote site and they had several different types of spray paints. There were ones for cars, home decor, industrial hardware etc. What kind of plastikote did you use for your gakken? I want to repaint a grimlock in gun metal, but I don't want to destroy the plastic or anything.

Also, I had problems before of spray paints going on too thick. Does the plastikote spray on thin or does it spray on thick at first then conform to the plastic as the paint dries? I spray painted a 1/55 valkyrie before and the spray paint covered all the fine details. This made me switch to an airbrush with Tamiya paints, but the paint scratched off very easily even with a gloss coat over it. You said that the plastikote was almost scratch proof which is a big plus for me. Did you have to use primer over it first then add the plastikote over? Sorry for all the questions, but I have been painting models for a little over a year now and still cannot find the best solution.

DZ,

Plastikote is best sprayed on, in layers. It does not hide any detail, nor does it harm the plastic. Since there is a very limited number of colors available you can acually use acrylics or enamels over the Plastikote.

The type I used is a plastic/vinyl dye. Unlike spraypaint this will not go on thick, but it will thicken the part slight. Use caution and judgement on joints, especially swivel joints.

I just posted a quick review of Plastikote and Fusion.

Go check it out.

NB4M

Alex,

Thanks for the detailed review of the Plastikote dye/paint. It sounds like something that toy modders will definitely want to check out.

As for the stickers, I was talking about the Cyclone decals you purchased from me. I sent them out last week and I thought they should have arrived by now.

Hope you get the decals soon. They are in a gold wrapped envelope (like Christmas :D ) The only thing I have for the Legioss is some decals for the 1/48 transforming model and decals for the 1/72 scale models. I suppose I should keep them for whenever I build the kits, but you could make an offer if your interested. I thought Anasazi was working on some better decals for the MPC Legioss. That might be just the ticket for you if they come about. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see better pics! ;)

Jardan,

I will keep an eye out for them.

I have a set of the 1/35 stickers, only thing is I want to keep them intact until I can get someone to do the decal sheet (Devin where are you?).

I also have a cyclone MIB complete, with stickers applied. I just wanted to have the extra set to make it (more) complete. If that's possible.

Thanks again,

Alex