YF-19 recast

HWR MKII

HWR MKII,

Great writeup. Let me ask you this question cuz it kills me when I see a good kit with a crap cockpit:

Can you use your acetate method to mold cockpit CANOPIES? I have a few resin kits here and the solid resin canopies bug me and there are not cheap alternatives (clear casting is an option but I cannot recast my foot out of my door).

Also, can I use a hot hair dryer to heat the acetate sheet or do I really need a heat gun? How hot does it need to be? I can borrow one if need be.

Keep it up.

Edited by Neova

Neova

Yes you can replicate canopy glass with this method. If you can try to get a solid master made first or use the kit part if it is solid enough. also if the acetate is on the thick side take into account the thickness of the plastic your using if you arent careful the canopy may be a hair too large to use in the closed position.

I have never tried using a hair dryer. If it gets hot enough it will work. Experiment with it, I know you can get a inexpensive heat gun at some arts and crafts centers for around 30 bucks.

Good Luck

Sean

Wow! your really coming along. I'm going to have to make some time to work on the 21.

Before you said you were going to build the landing gear down. Have you thought about building them up? How hard would it be on the 19?

What kind of putty are you using to fill in the gaps? I was using Tamiya now I'm using something called white putty. There both not very sandpaper friendly.

Scand.

it would be difficult to do gear up. the gear doors dont exactly match up.If you work it enough it could be done but id rather just sharpen up whats there and use it. I also added a throttle and side stick to the seat which they are attached to in the animation.

I mainly use Squadron White putty for anything on the kit but for the trouble area on the wing and the space where the FWD fuselage mates to the body needed bondo because of the thicker make and quicker set time. Are you wet or dry sanding? i wet sand and my paper doesnt clog the water keeps the dust from building up on it. Take LOTS of care fitting the intakes as well. They dont fit well at all.

Jagull.

I used Tamiya clear red to tint the lenses. Im still tossing around the idea of making the lights for the wings and fins. i may use bare metal foil on them and coat that in the clear colors.

Edited by HWR MKII

OK some new pics. The base painting has been done. The primary color used was Tamiya Buff mixed 50/50 roughly with white and airbrushed on. The secondary color was Testors Acryl Radome Tan again mixed 50/50 with white sprayed on in cloudy patched over all the major panels. The only areas i didnt apply this to were the ones that will be painted black tomorrow. First pic is a distant shot overall of the fighter.

post-23-1106437321_thumb.jpg

Left side nose/cockpit. This side has the throttle control and the green thing on it. on all the macross models i have seen of the 19 noone has included the green post thing in the cockpit of the fighter but it always stands out in the animation. Well for the first time on macross world. TADA :D

post-23-1106438092_thumb.jpg

Thats all for today folks. I hope to have her on her landing gear tomorrow ;) until then wish me luck. As a review of the kit so far. EXPERIENCED RESIN MODELLERS ONLY!!!. overall the fit is ok but it is a recast and has alot of the problems that come with it. MY 3 biggest gripes are 1 the uneven size in wing thickness, 2 The poorly fitting intake scoops,WTF is up with having 2 turbine fans in each intake :huh::blink: . 3 The inaccurate seat which had to be rebuilt. None of these problems are because of Jessee and his associates efforts. this is one of the best recasts i have ever built. These problems stem from the original person who designes the master parts for the kit in the first place. The 21 looks like it just needs a little fiddeling and the parts will fall together but the 19 should be approached as methodically as possible.

Well ill have more later

Sean

Edited by HWR MKII

As you can see the landing gear is on and the detail painting is almost complete. Be careful cleaning the landing gear parts they are very fragile besides having a metal rod in them. After you assemble the gear treat it gently the wheels have no solid locator pins to join them to the struts.

post-23-1106497692_thumb.jpg

Full foreward view. The gunpod is installed, in Macross plus the pod is a greenish khaki color the best match i had was polly scale slate grey. You will have to add a shim of plastic to the mount point on the gunpod to get it to sit better on the kit. The difference in wing thickness it very evident too.

post-23-1106498004_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

No new pics for today. I am trying to arrange to have the Hasegawa decal sheet reproduced in 1/48 scale if possible. I like all the stencils it came with, they help add to the overall appearance of it being a fighter aircraft. ill be working on the sensors in the meantime but after a 12 hour shift at work i cant really find the energy to work on them tonight. Hopefully tomorrow. :)B))

No new pics for today. I am trying to arrange to have the Hasegawa decal sheet reproduced in 1/48 scale if possible. I like all the stencils it came with, they help add to the overall appearance of it being a fighter aircraft. ill be working on the sensors in the meantime but after a 12 hour shift at work i cant really find the energy to work on them tonight. Hopefully tomorrow. :)B))

Let me know if your succesful with the decals. I would be interested in some too.

thanks.

I talked to him today and thats what he told me. I just didnt want to get the minimal looking set that i saw on the clubM page this plane needs stencils.

Let me know if you guys see anything i could try to fix or retry before i give her the final touches and clearcoats.

Edited by HWR MKII

For what it's worth Anaszi (Devin) did a killer decal set for the 1/48's he produced everything in 1/48 scale and made it combination of what was in the 1/72 19 and 21 decals plus added in extra decals and made an advanced Valkyrie 19 sheet.

Yeah. I PMd devin a couple of weeks ago. I haven't heard anything back from him. I don't think he's been around to much lately. I'm just weighing my options for the time being. I would love to get devin's decal I've had them before for some 1/60s.

Thank you all.

Now for the last stupid question for the evening. Does anyone have line art or sketches of the sensors on the nose of the 19 or the 0 without the red lense? I cant do screen caps so i cant get that one clear screen of the 0As nose in episode 2 when the red cover gets ripped off.

I like the model in the pic. Is that yours? i need to know whats under that red cover part so i can put at least something shaped correctly under the clear red piece.

Na, I found that on google.

I did a search and could not find any line art. Ther'e may be something in macross design works but I'm not sure of it.

Thank you Jipe.

The pic of the 19 does help out alot. i remember that from epi 2 of the 4 part version but i dont have that on dvd so i forgot it was there. Im also considering making the canopy open. The vac formed canopy would be easy to do that with.

Sean

Edited by HWR MKII

I only find this picture without the red cover...

yf19.jpg

You know I've always been curious about that shot, IIRC the wings are also shown folded up. Is that suppossed to be one of the test aircraft that was wrecked earlier, or is it suppossed to be Isamu's after it was shot up by GUld? Considering I can only remember seeing it in the movie version adds to the confusion.