Resident Evil 4

1 VF-1 2NV

Anybody play this game yet? I've completed RE2 and RE3 on Playstation. It sucked when RE wouldn't continue on the PS platform. On a side note, I stopped by my local Toys R Us, and picked up PS2 RE Code: Veronica for $6 + tax. Initially, I thought it was at least $20 since it was a greatest hits title, but lo and behold my surprise when the total came up. Even the old lady behind the cash register couldn't believe it. She even had to look at where I got it from :lol: . BTW, it wasn't used, but new and sealed :D .

you could always wait ~1 yr when the GC exclusivity contract ends and RE4 will get ported to the PS2

Really??? I didn't know that. When does that contract end? I was planning to get the GC to plsy RE 4, but I might hold off. Anyway, anyone play RE Outbreak & RE Dead Aim? How are those games?

Edited by 1 VF-1 2NV

IIRC, the PS2 version is coming out in Oct. 2005 (just in time for Halloween :p )

About RE4, I'm playing it and it's awesome, I really recommend it. Don't deny yourself this awesome game for any longer :p

About the game, imagine Metal Gear Solid meets RE with the camera behind the character (plays really similar to 1st person shooters). The graphics is top notch, not sure if Sony POS 2 could handle it :p The game is very intense...try playing the game alone in the dark <_< ;;

Edited by Gunbuster

I have played a little bit of this game, and I have to tell you, it is quite awesome! I really enjoyed the control scheme and the inventory system.....(Granted I have only played an hour.) The graphics seem to be quite nice thus far, on par with the remake of the original Resident Evil.

The Villager(zombies) are really much smarter then in previous titles, they chuck things at you (Axes, scythe's, pitchforks) and they gang up to try to corner and decimate you.

All in all, I am really rather impressed with this game and I am looking forward to playing this game to the end!

Twich

I can wait. I don't want to spend $140 on a GC and RE4 only. Besides GC are for kids :p:D:lol: !

Ahhh, quit yer whining.

btw, If you are in for a good scare, track down the Fatal Frame games. They're on the other systems, and will creep you out alot more than RE ever will.

I've been playing RE4 for awhile now, and the game rocks! Sniping zombies is fun!

So much action, definatly the best RE game, and a must buy for all

resident evil fans :)

OK, finally started playing the game. I can't stress enough that if you're a hardcore RE fan that you must buy and play this game asap! I've been playing it for about an hour and it is so much fun that it might be illegal or somthing. Anyway, it's so far been very fun, get it quick!

and since the ps2 version is a port, there'll be some new stuff added to it.

Capcom added new stuff to the original DC release of RE: CV, calling it CV Complete for DC and just RE: DC for PS2. I never bothered to replay the game after having completed the original on the DC, even though I've had the PS2 "complete" version for a while. Maybe I'll wait for the new edition of RE4 to come out on PS2 instead of burning myself out too quick with an "incomplete" GC version. :D

Capcom added new stuff to the original DC release of RE: CV, calling it CV Complete for DC and just RE: DC for PS2. I never bothered to replay the game after having completed the original on the DC, even though I've had the PS2 "complete" version for a while. Maybe I'll wait for the new edition of RE4 to come out on PS2 instead of burning myself out too quick with an "incomplete" GC version. :D

Meh, with CVX you get new cutseens and a battle mode. In RE2 for N64 you got new uniforms. And for RE: "Director's Cut"...you got nothing.

You really care for such fabulous "extras"? <_<

Edited by Wes

Especially when it's given that the graphics for the PS2 version won't be comparable at all. I realize that graphics aren't everything, but when you have the same game on two systems, the play the same, sound the same, control pretty much the same, but one looks like crap, and the other is the Gamecube version...

Edited by Radd

Capcom added new stuff ...

its just not Capcom adding new stuff, its actually Sony's policy. Games ported from another console are required to have additional content included.

Steve Kent (vg historian) mentioned [icons - "Megaman"] that the PS version of Megaman 8 had an artbook included for the simple fact that sony can say "We have it and you dont"

course by the time the PS2 version comes out with its 2 new costumes and battle mode =P the GC version would have gone down in price

• 4 weeks later...

IMHO Resident Evil 4 should be a strong contender for Game Of The Year.

My God this one blows the previous installments OUT of the water.

I just made it to the HUGE Orge and I made the mistake of not stabbing the little symbiote that came out of its back.

Beat it, liked it much more than all previous RE's combined. Thermal scope is awesome, and be sure to use grenades if you've got them---you come across far more than you'd ever need, and you end up having to either leave behind or sell a lot of them.

PS---Attache case L is probably skippable---you won't really need it until just before Attache case XL is available. I wasted 40K, since I bought XL right after L.

PPS---best tip I can give: upgrading a weapon's ammo capacity refills it (not from your supply). By far the best way to acquire Magnum ammo---use it on a boss (don't reload, or if you do, use it all up), then go upgrade its capacity for a "free" refill.

PPS---best tip I can give: upgrading a weapon's ammo capacity refills it (not from your supply). By far the best way to acquire Magnum ammo---use it on a boss (don't reload, or if you do, use it all up), then go upgrade its capacity for a "free" refill.

So magnum ammo is hard to find,,??? this is the reason why i didnt buy from gun merchant...he says something that lead me to believe the ammo for that gun would be hard to find....but it is strong though????

yeah, I'm almost finishing up on my 2nd round of it. It's so fun with the infinite rockets :p And those who are waiting for the PS2 port, this is what Capcom is doing to it

Japanese magazine CG World reported an interview with the developer of Biohazard 4 for PS2, regardly to the differences betweent the GC and PS2 version.

• GameCube version uses 24-bit textures, they must be downsampled to 4 or 8-bit textures in the PS2 version, due to limited texture storage capacity.

• Leon is created with 10,000 polygons on GameCube, the polygon count must be cut in half due to memory constraints.

• As a comparision, Snake in MGS3 is created with 4000 polygons, and the Biohazard 4 village inhabitant is created with 3000 - 4000 polygons in the GC version.

• With the large Direct Memory Access Bandwidth in PS2, the PS2 version allows a much higher number of textures to be displayed at once. However, if the number is too high the frame rate will drop at a fast pace.

• The PS2 version may have additional texture layer or polygon lighting, therefore some adjustments have to be made

Magnum ammo is hard to find. Maybe 40 rounds in the whole game. However you shouldn't need much. Even the hardest bosses should fall in a dozen shots or so. It's that powerful. My Broken Butterfly (which you can get for free, though I bought mine) is currently at 28.0, next upgrade is 50. Which is about 5 times more powerful than an upgraded shotgun at close range... Even the un-upgraded magnum has twice the power of most shotguns. And its power goes up by the power of a shotgun every time...

Basically--it's the boss killer. Far more effective than any other weapon (besides a rocket launcher). Also good for any "really tough" regular enemy. Just use one round, they'll probably drop. Or save and go on a killing spree. I did on my second game and got all the way from the opening scene to inside the church in about 25 mins, since I was nigh-invincible with the magnum (and leftover ammo from the first time through).