The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

All good points. I guess it all comes down to whether or not you would spend 90K on it, and whether or not I would.

I would.

382915[/snapback]

You could always buy a used one and spend a lot less than that. I got a friend that owns two - one heavily modified and the other an auto 91 model. I gave him sh*t when he bought the auto one, but he redeemed himself with the supercharged one.

Edited by Seven

The NSX wouldn't be so bad if it just used a better motor, anything, even a suped out F22 is better than that V6. You can get them cheaper if they're old, but even a 91 with nearly 100,000 miles is still going to run you in the twenty's, and that's for a car with a tired motor, more than definitely less than perfect condition, and the crappier (but not by much) V6 and transmission.

Yeah, even a properly-tuned 2005-2006 Ford Mustang GT will beat an NSX at nearly 1/4 the MSRP. And it even posts better gas mileage, despite having a larger engine and weighing 500 lbs more.

382922[/snapback]

That is indeed true, but economies of price and gas aren't always in the forefront when people choose some cars over others. Some people buy cars just for the looks alone. But I am stating the obvious. ;)

after being interested in rally racing for so long, I'm gonna finally take the first step towards actually doing it. Later this year I hope to be doing some SCCA RallyCross-ing.

I'm gonna take some kinda RWD Mopar RALLY RACING! it turns out after checking the rule books for SCCA Rallycross and Rally America, I can "legally" put a 383 into the LeBaron (or any other classic Mopar).

they have a displacement formula that they use to make sure everything's kosher within the rally world, turns out the FIA uses it too.

the limit is 5100cc, but they use a multiplier based on the type of engine it is.

for turbo/supercharged engines its the displacement x 1.8, for pushrods it's 0.8

so I found a site that did displacement conversions, and a 383 is 6274cc. 6274 x .8 = 5019cc!

so once I get the car prepped, the rally world can once again hear some Mopar big block thunder!

EDIT: the car's still gonna be used for drifting and auto-x-ing too, I just need an "all-around" oriented car.

Edited by Lightning 06

V6 outperforms Honda and Toyota's V6 (Power to weight is much stronger), they no longer are using Mitsubishi motor/transmissions, and they hired the former head engineer from BMW to help them build motors.

I took one for a test drive, i'd honestly say that you're not going to get a better sedan for your money anywhere, so long as you can look past the cheap plastic they use on the interior. I'd say take one for a test drive then take anything in its class out for a test drive and you'll be cleverly surprised.

anyone own or have comments on the '06 Sonata? i'm in need of a new sedan and this caught my eye.

382988[/snapback]

I've read reviews on the new Sonata and it seems to be solid in terms of performance and reliability. You might also want to consider the Mazda6 (Ladic owns one) or Ford Fusion. Spend a little more and you can go for the Honda Accord, Acura TSX or Subaru Legacy.

I've read reviews on the new Sonata and it seems to be solid in terms of performance and reliability. You might also want to consider the Mazda6 (Ladic owns one) or Ford Fusion. Spend a little more and you can go for the Honda Accord, Acura TSX or Subaru Legacy.

383023[/snapback]

yes i've read alot of reviews online and they've been overwhelmingly positive. i haven't had a chance to take one for a spin but plan to do shortly.

accords are out of my budget and the tsx is too small. i'm sort of backing myself into a corner because everytime i look at it from a bang for the buck point of view nothing beats the hyundai.

I stopped by Fuccillo Hyundai in Canoga Park, CA, after work today. Unfortunately, because it was located by a heavily congested street, I was unable to test drive a Sonata. However, I did take a closer look at it and the Azera.

asset_upload_file245_10862.jpg

asset_upload_file895_10862.jpg

asset_upload_file46_10862.jpg

asset_upload_file255_10862.jpg

Like emajnthis mentioned, the Sonata's interior does look a bit plasticky. The bottom half of the dashboard has Rubbermaid-like texture. And for some reason, the stereo looks out of place. Lots of headroom inside, the leather seats are comfy (if not a bit cushioney) and there's some decent legroom in the rear.

asset_upload_file628_11129.jpg

asset_upload_file82_11129.jpg

asset_upload_file347_11129.jpg

asset_upload_file668_11129.jpg

The Azera doesn't look big on the outside, but the interior is a bit cavernous. There's plenty of rear legroom and the ergonomics are fairly decent. The major turn-off is that the leather interior smells like a dead fish. :wacko:

Despite some shortcomings in design, both the Sonata and Azera seem to be very solidly built. If you decide to buy the Sonata, you should opt for the LX. At $22,895, you really can't beat such a deal. Besides, there isn't much of a difference between the 4-cylinder (24/33) and the V6 (20/30) in terms of fuel economy.

The Azera's are nice but the rear end looks gross. The one thing i always hate about Hyundai's are the center consoles. It seems like they try so hard on the entire car and then just have no clue what to do with the stereo and climate controls, so it always looks generic, cheap, and out of place. They're surprisingly roomy inside (with the exception of the Tiburon) and aside from the cheap interiors, their motors and transmissions are very reliable.

Definitely test drive a Mazda6 (speed if you have the cash) and a Legacy GT (okay so the GT is way expensive but it's worth it), the Accord V6's are horribly inemic regardless of transmission type (MT or AT) but make up for it with the interior; be warned that the climate controls are kind of awkward in the Accord. I haven't test driven a Fusion, the TSX is an Accord with a better motor so i'd recommend that if you have the money. Now that i think of it, go test drive a WRX (regular one, not an STI), they're fast, they have AWD, climate control, and very nice interior room.

And the MotoRex thing, i'm glad he's put in jail they're all a bunch of money laundring idiots. When i was over in California with my brother we went over to Motorex and aside from them totaly screwing people for the cost of Skylines they're also the laziest people on earth. Two mechanics showed up just to eat lunch and go home and they had four cars on lifts.

Edited by emajnthis

Yeah, even a properly-tuned 2005-2006 Ford Mustang GT will beat an NSX at nearly 1/4 the MSRP. And it even posts better gas mileage, despite having a larger engine and weighing 500 lbs more.

382922[/snapback]

How about a properly tuned NSX versus a properly tuned Fort Mustang GT? If you're going to modify one, you should modify the other. Otherwise, it's comparing apples and oranges.....expired oranges that is, considering the age of the NSX. Haha, even still, I'd eat my rotten oranges.

Speaking from a personal standpoint, I'd rather have a '92 NSX over a '05 Mustang GT. I've driven stangs and they are fun cars, but I guess I just like NSXs better.

It's not that great in a straight line, but it can still hold it's own....it isn't the slowest car on the car quartermile. It's specialty is not the quarter mile. The NSXs talents shine on a nice road course. Now, put a professional drive behind the wheel and it can do wonders.

An older NSX may not be that bad. Honda built a strong motor, even in the older ones. And like any old car, you're going to have to expect to dump money into it. It's way overdue for a replacement, but still fun to drive.

Someone mentioned earlier about it not being worth 90,000 USD. Well, the big questiong here is not whether you or I would spend that kind of money to have one. It's whether or not SOMEONE would spent that kind of cake on one...and there are people out there who would. As long as there are people willng to spend the money, Honda can ask whatever they want.

Here's another example of how meaningless our opinion on the NSX price tag is. Honda had 5 limited edition NSX-R GTs that had a few ugly body mods and no hp increase whatsoever. They asked 500,000 each and they were all sold before they were even made. If you wrote to Honda and said that they want to much, I don't think you would hurt their feelings.

Edited by peter

Here in Canada we do not get the LX model. We have a GLS Premium which is roughly equivalent. I would probably aim for the GLS V6 (and forgo the traction control option).

The Azera's are nice but the rear end looks gross.  The one thing i always hate about Hyundai's are the center consoles.

Agree 100%. We have a Sonata and Azera on display in our office tower and I really dislike the Azera rear styling. That round bulge is just a turn off. The inside is huge and I like the Azera interior styling over the Sonata (but of course it simply costs too much for me). As well I agree and find the center console (and the needle gauges for that matter) an immediate point for improvement on coming models.

their motors and transmissions are very reliable.

That is good to hear. I'm only familiar with GM engines and transmissions.

Definitely test drive a Mazda6 (speed if you have the cash) and a Legacy GT (okay so the GT is way expensive but it's worth it), the Accord V6's are horribly inemic regardless of transmission type (MT or AT) but make up for it with the interior; be warned that the climate controls are kind of awkward in the Accord.  I haven't test driven a Fusion, the TSX is an Accord with a better motor so i'd recommend that if you have the money.  Now that i think of it, go test drive a WRX (regular one, not an STI), they're fast, they have AWD, climate control, and very nice interior room.

I'll test drive the 6 just for kicks. Can't say I'm a big Suburu fan. The Accord v6 is too pricey for me. The Fusion does look interesting. the TSX i consider to be in a different class and i would prefer the larger interior volume of the sonata.

Can't say i'm a fan of the WRX styling. plus with their financing rates it would still be out of my league.

How about a properly tuned NSX versus a properly tuned Fort Mustang GT?  If you're going to modify one, you should modify the other.  Otherwise, it's comparing apples and oranges.....expired oranges that is, considering the age of the NSX.  Haha, even still, I'd eat my rotten oranges.

383441[/snapback]

While you eat rotten oranges, i'll save myself 60,000 dollars and eat some brand new apples. Maybe a Mustang won't hold it's own against an NSX but a ZO6 Vette with a proper suspension would, and you still save 30,000 dollars; i can buy a brand new STI/EVO for that kinda money and also beat an NSX around a track with either one of those cars for that matter.

Anyone who pays 500,000 for an NSX-R isn't going to drive it, you can be sure that it went straight to a collector who's just going to put it into a garage as a trophy. It's just like the people who paid 100,000 for the GTR R34 Z-Tunes (basically a street legal JGTC race car), you can be sure that the few people that own them (500 made) are probably garaging them or very rarely bringing them out (but for the sake of measure, that car would kill the NSX on a track and in a straight line and still costs the same as a regular NSX and 400,000 less than the NSX-R: Even a stock GTR R34 will destroy an NSX).

Speaking of cars...

here's mine:  http://photobucket.com/albums/c337/Busted7...current=RX1.jpg

I bought it about three months ago.  I hope I actually get a chance to drive it soon :D

(...basically, I rebuild the engine since it had an internal coolant leak)

383562[/snapback]

You should talk to Yellowlightman, he owns one of those himself. Any other plans for the car besides rebuilding the motor?

How about a properly tuned NSX versus a properly tuned Fort Mustang GT?  If you're going to modify one, you should modify the other.  Otherwise, it's comparing apples and oranges.....expired oranges that is, considering the age of the NSX.  Haha, even still, I'd eat my rotten oranges.

383441[/snapback]

While you eat rotten oranges, i'll save myself 60,000 dollars and eat some brand new apples. Maybe a Mustang won't hold it's own against an NSX but a ZO6 Vette with a proper suspension would, and you still save 30,000 dollars; i can buy a brand new STI/EVO for that kinda money and also beat an NSX around a track with either one of those cars for that matter.

Anyone who pays 500,000 for an NSX-R isn't going to drive it, you can be sure that it went straight to a collector who's just going to put it into a garage as a trophy. It's just like the people who paid 100,000 for the GTR R34 Z-Tunes (basically a street legal JGTC race car), you can be sure that the few people that own them (500 made) are probably garaging them or very rarely bringing them out (but for the sake of measure, that car would kill the NSX on a track and in a straight line and still costs the same as a regular NSX and 400,000 less than the NSX-R: Even a stock GTR R34 will destroy an NSX).

Speaking of cars...

I bought it about three months ago.  I hope I actually get a chance to drive it soon :D

383562[/snapback]

You should talk to Yellowlightman, he owns one of those himself. Any other plans for the car besides rebuilding the motor?

383769[/snapback]

The reason I said you were comparing apples and oranges is you're comparing a car that's been around for 15 years (way overdue for a replacement) to a car that's been around for a lot less. You can piss on the NSX all day, there are a lot of cars fo cheaper than can outperform the NSX today, but it's not always about money. Some people just like certain cars. You can cry about how overpriced the NSX is until the cows come home, but again, the bottom line is Honda can sell the NSX for 90,000 because there are people are willing to pay. They don't particularly care if you, emajnthis or me Peter, can save 60,000. Someone out there with 90,000 is willing to hand their money over for an NSX....if it was even still in production.

Personally, I think 1,200,000 fo a Bugatti is a total waste of money. I would rather modify a GT-R or a 911, or even an NSX to the tits, maximum road legal modiications. I would probably have to dump over 200,000 into any of those vehicles to perform the way the Bugatti does, but certainly not 1,200,000...you think Bugatti cares what I think? But if I was the Sultan of Brunei, I'd probably pick up a few Veyrons without crying over the price tag. And for that matter, I'd have a fleet of NSXs.

The funniest thing about this debate is that I doubt either of us are in a position to buy a new NSX, or Z-tune anyways. I don't know about you, but I'm poor as *uck. Already struggling just to get more Macross toys!

Edited by peter

You should talk to Yellowlightman, he owns one of those himself.  Any other plans for the car besides rebuilding the motor?

383769[/snapback]

Hmm, driving it?

Actually, whatever I do has to do with how much money I have at the time... I'll have to get a job to pay for gas and insurance, too.

But if I was to tell you what I'd do with about 2K, it would be new shocks, springs, exhaust (mine isn't stock but I think it looks silly... with those square tips), a new steering wheel (it's a base model so it doesn't adjust... so I'll just make the steering wheel smaller :D)... and whatever else I can afford to do. A turbo engine with upgraded turbo and intercooler would be the ultimate reasonable goal...

The first thing I'm gonna do is buy new bushings (urethane), since the ones it has look like they're falling apart (literally).

I'd also like some 8" wide 17" wheels and wider tires, four-pot brakes (since the base car has one-cylinder calipers)...

Personally, I think 1,200,000 fo a Bugatti is a total waste of money.  I would rather modify a GT-R or a 911, or even an NSX to the tits, maximum road legal modiications.  I would probably have to dump over 200,000 into any of those vehicles to perform the way the Bugatti does, but certainly not 1,200,000...you think Bugatti cares what I think?  But if I was the Sultan of Brunei, I'd probably pick up a few Veyrons without crying over the price tag.  And for that matter, I'd have a fleet of NSXs.

383839[/snapback]

According to Jeremy Clarkson, the Veyron is lightyears above every car ever made, including the McLaren F1, the Enzo, the Merc/McLaren SLR, the Carrera GT, which all are "slow and pointless" compared to the Veyron.

Not to mention it's a marvel of engineering... it weighs an arseload but it handles like Lotus Elise, apparently.

Every Veyron cost VW like 4 million a car, so they're taking a 3-million dollar hit for every car they sell.

Of course, the only thing he didn't like is the fact that he knew he would never own one :D

The idea that a tuner car, even one with 1000 HP could match the Veyron is also laughable.

Personally, I think 1,200,000 fo a Bugatti is a total waste of money.  I would rather modify a GT-R or a 911, or even an NSX to the tits, maximum road legal modiications.  I would probably have to dump over 200,000 into any of those vehicles to perform the way the Bugatti does, but certainly not 1,200,000...you think Bugatti cares what I think?  But if I was the Sultan of Brunei, I'd probably pick up a few Veyrons without crying over the price tag.  And for that matter, I'd have a fleet of NSXs.

383839[/snapback]

According to Jeremy Clarkson, the Veyron is lightyears above every car ever made, including the McLaren F1, the Enzo, the Merc/McLaren SLR, the Carrera GT, which all are "slow and pointless" compared to the Veyron.

Not to mention it's a marvel of engineering... it weighs an arseload but it handles like Lotus Elise, apparently.

Every Veyron cost VW like 4 million a car, so they're taking a 3-million dollar hit for every car they sell.

Of course, the only thing he didn't like is the fact that he knew he would never own one :D

The idea that a tuner car, even one with 1000 HP could match the Veyron is also laughable.

383885[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong....if I was uber-rich, I'd definetly get one....or more....but alas, last time I checked, I'm quite poor and not in a position to get one...let alone try to tune a lesser car to match the Veyron's numbers.

Speaking of cars...

383562[/snapback]

I've been saying I'd pick up an old FC3S since my highschool days but I never did it in the end. Too much work.

383839[/snapback]

383885[/snapback]

According to Clarkson, everything he finds cool is "EPIC" and Top Gear is heavily scripted to get emotional reactions out of audiences to cars through the generous usage of verbiosity and exaggeration. Clarkson probably thinks the Veyron is ugly but he didn't mention it. Whenever they are trying to draw sympathy to a car, they will clearly use extreme bias and clever manipulation of facts or leaving out details or avoiding issues - only to have some small counter-point between hosts that will shrugged off.

That said, Clarkson still rules.

Edited by ComicKaze

That said, Clarkson still rules.

384153[/snapback]

My impersonation of Clarkson is as follows:

BAH STUPID BLOODY AMERICAN CARS FREAKING SUCK THEYRE SO BAD.

(lets ignore the fact that I bought a Ford GT)

STUPID AMERICAN CARS CANT BE AS GOOD AS BRITISH CARS HAVE NO SOUL ALL PLASTIC

(shh, British cars suck and the only reason they're still around is because they're owned by American companies)

THIS CAR IS SO GREAT IT DOES EVERYTHING WELL ITS REALLY GREAT

(but i don't like how it looks, so it's a bad car. sorry, Cayenne)

He loves the GT and the Corvette (which he thinks is horrible, since it's poorly made, but he loves it)... he also loves the Ford Focus, and the Mondeo (he owns one of each, apparently).

So he doesn't hate American cars... at least not just becaues they're American.

I also wasn't referring to Top Gear, I was referring to his written reviews.

Edited by Raptor

I saw the "breaking news" report on one of those so-called all-news-networks earlier today. I don't know what disgusts me more: the pompous, talking heads they have in front of the cameras, or the sensationalist nature of the networks' reporting. The way they kept showing the crash clip over and over and over again was sickening; that, plus that sanctimonious broad's patronizing the spokesman she interviewed. "...oh, just look at that crash..." They kept slowing the clip down more and more, as though some arsehole director was telling them to try to capture the actual "moment of death" or something. The fu--ing ghouls.

"...and we bring you some breaking news this hour; sources at CNN are currently trying to confirm the story, but we bring you this news first...." Oh, so in other words you sickening fu--s aren't even sure that what you're reporting is fully acurate and true--but you're gonna report it anyway, just to be the first, huh?! Irresponsible is not the word to describe the general state of incompetence of the majority of these so-called all-news networks. Call me jaded, but that's why I generally can't stomach more than 2-3 minutes of watching those channels at a time. That, plus the fact they usually recycle the same 5 or 6 fu--ing stories every half-hour, over and over again throughout the day...

Sorry, but I take offence at the way some of these networks hawk and peddle on death and tragedy they way they do.

I was at Homestead in '03 when driver Jeff Clinton was killed in practice; saw the aftermath of what it did to his car [and him]. That s--t ain't nothin to take lightly. This is a serious, dangerous business, this racing. In spite of all the safety measures and advances, these guys are still dancing with death when they do what they do.

There are only three sports--mountain climbing, bull fighting and motor racing. All the rest are glorified children's games. --Ernest Hemingway

Edited by reddsun1

truely sad indeed.

sorry to change the subject, but I found what I think will be my first new car!

photo_1.jpg

the 2007 Toyota Yaris

too bad it isn't RWD, and the styling is starting to grow on me.

Nissan and Honda are both coming out with competition cars: Nissan March is suppose to come to America and so is the Honda Fit, personally i have my eye on the Fit (yes, i actually said i like a Honda) because its specs prove to surpass the competing two.

I only put up the NSX debate because if you're not a collector but still want to have a great car the NSX should not even be on the list but for some people it is. Honestly, the Supra really wasn't that great of a car (for the price), and the ONLY reason i owned one was because i got it for trade-in value. I'll be the first to admit that i'm not the richest man on the earth (superficially), but that doesn't mean a great sports car is out of my reach. I was actually about to buy an NSX about 4 years ago (it was at a government auction and only sold for 20k) but i bid only 100 dollars short and missed it.

I just don't want someone to sign over the equivalent of a mortgage over a car that isn't all that great when they can pay a reasonable price for a WRX or a Corvette and have the same if not better driving experience.