The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

Is autos.yahoo.com accurate?

And yeah, I consider anything over 3000 pounds to be heavy. A sports car shouldn't weigh over 2500 pounds, especially something like the Enzo Ferrari which is a lot of carbon fiber anyway. Makes me wish the Toyota Celica isn't being discontinued. 180HP for 2500 pounds... It's a dream.

Edited by Stamen0083

Is autos.yahoo.com accurate?

And yeah, I consider anything over 3000 pounds to be heavy. A sports car shouldn't weigh over 2500 pounds, especially something like the Enzo Ferrari which is a lot of carbon fiber anyway. Makes me wish the Toyota Celica isn't being discontinued. 180HP for 2500 pounds... It's a dream.

338350[/snapback]

I agree that a sports car should be under 3000lbs, but with safety regulations and comform ammenities it's hard to meet that weight requirement.

The Celica isn't a great car, BTW. It's FWD for one (I refuse to believe a sports car can be FWD) and the motor sucks (makes most of it's power in a very narrow, almost undriveable RPM range).

Won't they continue making '05 M3?

You were saying something about trading in your current M3 for the next generation, right? Is that for the '07 body style?

338362[/snapback]

I am currently on the waiting list for the 07 but I am thinkin I am going to cancel my name and get a Lotus instead.

Easy folks, thiers nothing wrong with driving a civic.

*SNIP*

338205[/snapback]

In all seriousness, you are right. Don't tell anyone, but we own a Civic too. (the same 94 my husband bought in college...only thing that has had to be done besides regular maintenance was gasket replacement at over 140,000 miles). It may not be my favorite car, but it isn't bad. My husband drives over sixty miles one way to work each day. Driving the Cobra would be expensive, and driving the Lightning would be ridiculous. ;)

And Stamen, you don't know how tempted I am to get the NSX. I'm just afraid it would end up being an expensive garage decoration. It seems to have been pretty severly flooded...and it smells bad, like a wet dog. Our local Ford dealership owner will attend one of the auctions next week though and if it goes cheaply enough, maybe. But I'd bet on it being picked up by a professional restoration company. It would be a guaranteed sale once rebuilt.

Speaking of poor build quality; someone here in town just took delivery of the Blue Oval's overweight "supercar", the Ford GT (white with blue stripes). Talking about having more money than sense. I wonder why Ford allowed Saleen to build the cars in the first place? As nice as Saleens are (and I do love the way they look) , they have had a long reputation for shoddy quality (mainly poor fitting body kits, etc.). That is just unacceptable for an expensive car, especially with the small amount of vehicles turned out. Why did anyone think it would be any different with them building the Ford GT? How many recalls now?

Saleen builds the GT's?  I didn't know that.  But it makes sense, their experience with "specialized" car construction with the S7's and all.  That said, you'd think they'd have the hang of it by now...

338384[/snapback]

Yep, Steve Saleen even fired some of his workers after both he and Ford had been embarrased by one too many recalls and problems with the GT. And poor QC is nothing new for Saleen. One of the Mustang magazines tested the new Saleen mustang a few months back (don't remember if it was the base Saleen Mustang or the Extreme). During the course of their drive, they commented on the poor fit and gaps on the body kit, the hood rattled at highway cruising speeds, and the Saleen logo even fell off the steering wheel.... Nothing new with them. Don't get me wrong, they look great and Saleen's racecraft suspension is very nice. Their interiors are also always leaps and bounds above stock. They are nice looking cars and decent performers. definetly eye turners. But ask anyone who has even installed a Saleen body kit on a mustang about how much fun that is. *shudder* I don't know if they have had any problems with the S7's though. But the problems with the Saleen Mustangs and the Ford GT are inexcusable considering their price tags.

I'm about 99% sure that the Ford GT's are built by Wixom Asseembly in Michigan, and not Saleen. To the best of my knowledge, Saleen has nothing to do with the GT at all, and that's a good thing if you ask me. I could be mistaken, but I feel pretty sure about this.

"And now for something completely different." :D

Wouldn't you like a nice new high-quality UNS emblem to put on your car to show that you're a true Macross fan? I surely would. Oh wait, done, and done.

DSCN2235.JPG

Yes, so I'm blowing my own horn a bit, and what better place to do it than the MW Automotive Thread? Go check out the For Sale section if you're interested.

Thread starts here.

Edited by Axelay

I'm about 99% sure that the Ford GT's are built by Wixom Asseembly in Michigan, and not Saleen. To the best of my knowledge, Saleen has nothing to do with the GT at all, and that's a good thing if you ask me. I could be mistaken, but I feel pretty sure about this. 

338394[/snapback]

No, Saleen is indeed one of the major suppliers. Not the only supplier, but they are very involved in the cars production. And the Ford GT is built at the Wixom assembly plant, well sort of anyway. Check out This Article on Car & Driver.com for the full story. But here is a relevant snippet:

To be able to say that it builds the GT—and to keep the unions happy—Ford installs the powertrain and finishes the car's final assembly at its Wixom plant, but that move is said by industry observers to have been superfluous. Saleen has the capability to finish the GT at its plant.

The article gives a good overview of the problems that have plagued the Ford GT, so it is an interesting read.

BTW Axelay, nice work on the labels. Definetly something I am interested in picking up. Love that Sonic Blue on the pony too.

Speaking of Saleen and Mustangs, what do you guys think of this new add-on for the 2006 S281-SC?

I really don't know. It looks good where it meets the windshield and A-Pillars and above the doors. It doesn't look so great in the back where it meets the rear window. Something about it just doesn't work for me. I do like the heat extractor hood though. Is it functional? The wing on the other hand is just plain ugly.

2006 BMW M3 curb weight: 3415 lbs.

Yeah, that's pretty heavy.

338318[/snapback]

I'd be interested to know where you got that number, considering I didn't think much was known about the '06 M3. The numbers from my previous post were from edmunds.com, which I forgot to mention.

2005 Mustang GT: 3450 lbs

2005 Pontiac GTO: 3725 lbs

You were saying about heavy...? :rolleyes:

338329[/snapback]

# PRICE: $57,695

# ENGINE: 3.2-liter I6, 333 hp, 262 lb-ft

# CURB WEIGHT: 3781 lbs

# DRIVETRAIN: rwd, six-speed manual

Thats the figures for the convertible, heavy in my book

2002 Z28 (taken from the drivers door

and I think its a bigger car then the M3

Yeah, I'm ordering two of those decals once I finish this month's payment.

Speaking of Saleen and Mustangs, what do you guys think of this new add-on for the 2006 S281-SC?

338460[/snapback]

Ugly for those not in the car, and annoying for anyone in the car.

Ugly for those not in the car, and annoying for anyone in the car.

338590[/snapback]

Really? You were all about the glass roof on the show car.

338601[/snapback]

:blink: I WAS!??? You sure? Its possible I thought it looked cool, but since then I must have thought about it, and now I think not.

I IM'd this to Hurin yesterday, he thought it was funny.

She says:

"Honey, sell that stupid sports car so we can get some tacky crap for the baby... You know, because now that we have a baby on the way there is to be NOTHING sexy about our lives... Untill 20 years from now when I cheat on you for making my life boring."

Speaking of poor build quality; someone here in town just took delivery of the Blue Oval's overweight "supercar",  the Ford GT (white with blue stripes).  Talking about having more money than sense.  I wonder why Ford allowed Saleen to build the cars in the first place?  As nice as Saleens are (and I do love the way they look) , they have had a long reputation for shoddy quality (mainly poor fitting body kits, etc.).  That is just unacceptable for an expensive car, especially with the small amount of vehicles turned out.  Why did anyone think it would be any different with them building the Ford GT?  How many recalls now?

338382[/snapback]

I didn't realize Saleen was involved in the production of the GT, but I've been reading about all the recalls and going "WTF?" Ford made a big deal about it being the "pace car" for the company (says so on the GT poster right next to my computer...) and that they'd allow so many botchups is troubling. Especially since Ford seems to be making serious improvements in quality (and they've been turning around the companies they own-- like Jaguar), I'm surprised they'd let their $200k supercar have so many problems.

No sir, I don't like it. What does that glass roof do for structural rigidity [pshuh, as if I really knew just how much impact that had]? Still, I'd rather have a stiffer chassis for a "performance" oriented car like that, if given the choice. LOL, I dare anybody to hop in that thing on a hot summer day wearing shorts. Given car makers' penchant for leather interiors in more sporty vehicles, it ought to make things real interesting.

I saw an interesting reader comment on the new Saleen 'Stang in a mag that said something to the effect of: "Steve Saleen finally designed a good looking car and how'd he do it? By making the back end look like a Plymouth Barracuda..." When you look at the tail lights, it's kinda on the mark.

No sir, I don't like it. What does that glass roof do for structural rigidity [pshuh, as if I really knew just how much impact that had]? Still, I'd rather have a stiffer chassis for a "performance" oriented car like that, if given the choice. LOL, I dare anybody to hop in that thing on a hot summer day wearing shorts. Given car makers' penchant for leather interiors in more sporty vehicles, it ought to make things real interesting.

338651[/snapback]

The rule of thumb is supposedly that a sunroof cuts down on rigity, so I'd have to think what an entire glass roof does. Not to mention, there's something troubling about making big structural changes to cars like that which were never planned for by the original designers.

Not to mention, why would someone by one of the new Saleen Mustangs anyways? Unless you really really liked and we're planning on keeping it forever, the previous Saleen 'Stangs lost their value damn quick.

Well, speaking of Mustangs I thought I'd throw this one out there since it makes more sense here than in the 'For Sale' forums....

1965 K Code for sale .

Regarding the Saleens, I think with the new body style they are a lot better 'looking' though I haven't really driven one yet so I can't comment on performance. I do like panaromic sun-roofs but I too would worry about the integrity of the car.

I wouldn't buy one but if you want a performance car and must by American, I guess the Saleens and Vettes aren't bad choices.

Well, speaking of Mustangs I thought I'd throw this one out there since it makes more sense here than in the 'For Sale' forums....

1965 K Code for sale .

338659[/snapback]

Is that yours? Looks lik a gorgeous car, I've never seen that paint scheme before. The grey and red looks very cool.

338664[/snapback]

Yeah, it's mine. The paint is quite an original color (Silver Smoke Grey) and was the color the car came in. It is supposed to have Black interior but I had red put in when I was expecting to keep it for a long time. Alas, life happens and things change. I'm aiming for a 4-door sedan (can put kids in it) that has ~ 469 HP or so.

That's a sweet Mustang you got there, fearyaks. We should get together sometime and take pics of both our Mustangs.

338689[/snapback]

A7 - thanks. If we get together to take pics, it may have to be with my dad's (67 '390 fastback) as I'm trying to sell this one. I'll miss it but hopefully something will come up that 'eases' the loss.

That's a sweet Mustang you got there, fearyaks. We should get together sometime and take pics of both our Mustangs.

338689[/snapback]

A7 - thanks. If we get together to take pics, it may have to be with my dad's (67 '390 fastback) as I'm trying to sell this one. I'll miss it but hopefully something will come up that 'eases' the loss.

338727[/snapback]

Nice ride,

Man, I cant beleive how much Fastbacks have went up since gone in 60 was released, Thats a nice car man, My freind sold a GT fastback about 7-8 years ago for like $10,000,,, shoulda kept it,,,, the original color was a light bluish grey, a 4 speed 289 car. I shoulda bought a 67 fastback car last year, it was in trading times for 1,200, needed damn near everything,,pretty sure it was an original v8 car

Man, I cant beleive how much Fastbacks have went up since gone in 60 was released, Thats a nice car man, My freind sold a GT fastback about 7-8 years ago for like $10,000,,, shoulda kept it,,,, the original color was a light bluish grey, a 4 speed 289 car. I shoulda bought a 67 fastback car last year, it was in trading times for 1,200, needed damn near everything,,pretty sure it was an original v8 car

339266[/snapback]

Yeah they have gone up like crazy though I don't know if it was based on the remake of gone in 60 seconds. I think it helped but I do wonder if all classic cars have seen a revival which parallels the 'retro' look that Detroit is going with (started by the bug perhaps)? The car I have is basically the closest you can get to a Shelby while spending less than $75K. Shelby's have skyrocketed and the 'K Code' Mustang uses (basically) the same engine as the 65/66 Shelby's. My dad has a '67 390 fastback which blows this one away (though I prefer the 65/66 body style).

Anyway, we'll see if there are any buyers. The guy that worked on the car think I can get more but we'll see.

I don't give a crap about anything else except this car: 2005-BMW-M5-FA-Evening-1280x960.jpg

2005-BMW-M5-RA-Sunset-1280x960.jpg

you guys can have your mustangs and your supras... when this finally hits the streets of cali nothing is gonna make me drool more :D

---- Specifications ----

Engine

5 liter V10 Transmission

7-speed SMG

--

HP

507 bhp @ 7750 rpm Torque

383 lb-ft @ 6100 rpm

HP/Liter

101 hp per liter HP/Weight

Edited by Poonman

The M5 is a big heavy car man.  If you have 2 kids, then its probably the way to go.

339424[/snapback]

I just love that beast.. its no track car but based on some videos out of germany I've seen that thing is no slug either :D

what year is your M3 anyways? as I posted earlier in about 8 months I'm going to be getting a new car... either an '06 F-150 to throw the surfboards and dirtbikes in or a '01 or '02 ///M3... both go for about $30k which I think I can afford.