The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

I don't know about the Civic, not a fan at all. Its being done was just an attempt by the people in charge to get the tuner viewers. Chip said "can we send it back?" I think when he saw it.

321581[/snapback]

Seriously, the show really doesn't need to attract the import tuner fans. There should also be a rule on Overhaulin' which doesn't allow overhauling of 1990s or newer car models, as they don't (and won't) have the same 'WOW' factor as the Mustangs or Chevelles customized on the show.

Would the return of the GSX make you want to buy a Buick?  Or is it too little, too late for the apparent next GM company nearing the chopping block?  This concept sketch is based on the Zeta platform apparently (so fat chance of ever seeing it come to fruition).

I dunno, that doesn't say "GSX" to me. It looks like a tuner VW to me.

I guess I am guilty of expecting new itinerations of older cars to somhow maintain the spirit of the model. When I think GSX I think of its cousin the Chevelle...an aggresive mix of curves and hard lines...kinda says "speed-brick" to me.

This thing could be alright...but just give it a new name.

I said it about the charger, I'll say it again:

Those who care about the name will be unimpressed, those who want the car for its own merits won't care what its called. If you are going to revive a classic name...do it for a reason.

Would the return of the GSX make you want to buy a Buick?  Or is it too little, too late for the apparent next GM company nearing the chopping block?  This concept sketch is based on the Zeta platform apparently (so fat chance of ever seeing it come to fruition).

321637[/snapback]

I hear GSX and I think two wheels...

Screw it and bring back the GNX, I say. Everyone's getting back into the V8 game nowadays, I'd much rather see a turbo V6.

post-22-1124508872_thumb.jpeg

Knowing GM these days, a revived GNX would probably just be a rebadged Cobalt.

321668[/snapback]

Or an Aveo. :ph34r:

321669[/snapback]

Which is just a rebadged Daewoo. B))

321673[/snapback]

Those names (Aveo, Daewoo) should be forbidden in this thread. Though now that it's been mentioned I can almost guarantee blasphemous name reviving such as that to take place.

What are your guys' opinion of the Cobalt? It may be American-rice but it can't be all that bad, can it?

Cobalt? Looks like they just copied the Acura [is it RSX?] and made it just different enough to avoid liability. Ah, too bad I didn't grow up in the muscle car era, when the big 3 threw such a variety of cars with totally irresponsible amts of horsepower at the "youth" market. Now, the youths coming up right behind me can only count on re-hashed econo-turds that look like jellybeans on wheels.

Well finally! Some good racing to watch on SPEED channel. Only had to wait all week for it. Speed World Challenge GT race from Denver, CO is on right now. I look at the layout of this street circuit and am reminded somewhat of the ALMS race from Washington D.C. a couple years ago. I think what a damn shame they couldn't keep that venue. That race had a lot of potential for the city. From what I could gather, there was a big hub-bub amongst the mayor and city council IIRC, 'cause he didn't "consult" with them or get their approval before sanctioning the event or something. Sounds like a bunch of egos and bullsh-t to me. Anybody on the boards from the D.C. area? What was the deal behind their killing that event?

I know the "official" ver. is that local residents complained about the noise and such, but the skeptic in me says that it wasn't that simple. Sure, the track was literally a stone's throw away from a residential neighborhood; but hell, it was in the parking lot of RFK stadium [you can see where it was on GoogleEarth; the outlines of where the track layout was are still visible]. They've since torn the whole shebang up; what a shame and a waste. I think they could have made it a marquis event and maybe gotten the city some good exposure out of it. Sure, the noise levels were certainly higher than you'd have at an NFL game, but rather than harp on that, people in the community should have focused on the positive aspects; i.e. rather than a bunch of so-called "civic leaders" hopping on their soap boxes to instigate locals and further their own political agendas [which is what I think was more likely], they could have pitched the event as a way to draw tourism and revenue. I mean, now what have they got? Nothing but a dug up lot and an empty stadium that'll likely fall into disrepair and rot away--now you've got nothing. I try to see it from both sides; sure, most of the residents who were directly affected were older, poorer folks who can't exactly pick up and move themselves away to a better side of town [where do they put any pro stadium like that? in the poor, minority side of town where rich folk don't have to deal with it in their back yard. Fact of life]. I know when I was at the race, I got pretty damn tired of hearing guys make those "well, it's that kinda neighborhood" or "bad side of town" jokes. Thought I was gonna end up obligated to bitch slap somebody. Anyways, I wish there could have been a way to make it work for everybody. It turned out to be a kick-ass race, given the logistics and what they made the track out of.

Knowing GM these days, a revived GNX would probably just be a rebadged Cobalt.

321668[/snapback]

Or an Aveo. :ph34r:

321669[/snapback]

Which is just a rebadged Daewoo. B))

321673[/snapback]

Those names (Aveo, Daewoo) should be forbidden in this thread. Though now that it's been mentioned I can almost guarantee blasphemous name reviving such as that to take place.

What are your guys' opinion of the Cobalt? It may be American-rice but it can't be all that bad, can it?

321758[/snapback]

Frankly it's an ugly and underpowered wannabe ricer. That doesn't have the appeal that they think it does. Hell why do you think that they ran so many commericals with their flagship car in them. Even THEY know it's an ugly little car. Don't even get me started on that Ferrai-wannabe 'Vette!!! <_<

Frankly it's an ugly and underpowered wannabe ricer. That doesn't have the appeal that they think it does. Hell why do you think that they ran so many commericals with their flagship car in them. Even THEY know it's an ugly little car. Don't even get me started on that Ferrai-wannabe 'Vette!!!  <_<

321794[/snapback]

The Cobalt commercials were/are really weird, because they show more of the new C6 'Vette than than the Cobalt. Never understood that at all, since the two cars are nothing alike.

The new '06 Corvette rocks your face. I would wager the '06 Z06 is THE greatest performance car America has ever made, and certainly the best performance value for the money.

the vette is surly no ferrari wanna-be.it's looks are pure formula 1 inspired & it's mill is a 400=hp(Z06) wonder of small block engineering.the vette stands in a class by itself.the perfect american thoroughbred.the ford gt40 was designed originally to compete with ferrari in the european races,so that's the ferrari wanna-be culprit.

I kinda like the new 'Vette. The design cues from the C2 Stingrays are nice--kinda like what the original Stingrays may have looked like if they were thoroughly tested/developed in a wind tunnel. The new Z06 promises to be a bona-fied monster. With their new "record" at the Nurburgring, having bested all other production supercars save the Carrera GT, Chev can claim they've acheived world-beater status. Although, I think it's wrong the way the prices have steadily climbed for "Vettes over the years--hey, it's just a Chevy, ferchrissakes...

Although, I think it's wrong the way the prices have steadily climbed for "Vettes over the years--hey, it's just a Chevy, ferchrissakes...

322025[/snapback]

They've been climbing, but compared to the competition it's still a hell of a deal. The ZO6 jumped from around $50k to $75k, but it'll still embarass cars that cost two or three times that amount. Not to mention the fact that it's been how long since there's been an American car to be proud of?

Ugh, don't get me started on the Ford GT. That 3500lb pig is a POS, and Ford can boast only because they aimed low. It's natural competitor should have been the 550 Maranello. It goes against the very spirit of the original car; which I still say--with all its shortcomings [which can easily be remedied w/today's improved tech] is better than that oversized execu-yacht.

Though now that it's been mentioned I can almost guarantee blasphemous name reviving such as that to take place.

321758[/snapback]

Dude, American car companies have been doing that for decades:

Chevrolet Nova - Originally one of the great muscle cars of the late '60s and early '70s, the last incarnation was a retooled Toyota Corolla in the mid '80s.

Pontiac Le Mans - Once a formidable coupe in the '60s, the Le Mans name ended up on a crappy Daewoo sedan in the '80s.

Mercury Cougar - The original luxury muscle car of the '60s became a Ford Thunderbird clone in the '80s before winding up into a mediocre FWD coupe in the late '90s.

Mercury Capri - Was a twin of the Mustang in the '80s, but ended up becoming a wimpy roadster. (I'll let bsu legato explain more on this car...)

Dodge Charger - The classic muscle car lost its reputation in the '80s when its name was slapped on a hatchback. The 2006 incarnation is no better.

Frankly it's an ugly and underpowered wannabe ricer. That doesn't have the appeal that they think it does. Hell why do you think that they ran so many commericals with their flagship car in them. Even THEY know it's an ugly little car. Don't even get me started on that Ferrai-wannabe 'Vette!!!  <_<

321794[/snapback]

The Cobalt commercials were/are really weird, because they show more of the new C6 'Vette than than the Cobalt. Never understood that at all, since the two cars are nothing alike.

The new '06 Corvette rocks your face. I would wager the '06 Z06 is THE greatest performance car America has ever made, and certainly the best performance value for the money.

321797[/snapback]

Not agruing that the '06 Vette isn't technically great car(hell it's been tear'n them up on the Road courses, but if you parked a '05 Ferrai and an '06 Vette next to each other with maybe a McLaren Merc and Acura Intera too, it's totally clear that the GM designers built the car to copy it's betters.

areaseven,

Dodge had a chance to change the Chargers rep with their early 2000's concept hybrid vehicle. Which keep alot of the orginal style and would've sold! Hell it was years ahead of the new Mustang. Now Dodge is stuck in single platform mode until D/C can phase the line out.

Not agruing that the '06 Vette isn't technically great car(hell it's been tear'n them up on the Road courses, but if you parked a '05 Ferrai and an '06 Vette next to each other with maybe a McLaren Merc and Acura Intera too, it's totally clear that the GM designers built the car to copy it's betters.

322107[/snapback]

So the Chevy Corvette copied the Acura Integra...? Right.

You are aware the Corvette has been around over 40 years, haven't you? Not to mention, nearly all

the styling cues have been with the Corvette since the beginning. I'll cede on the headlights, but that's just about it.

Either way, it's pointless bitching about how styling cue were stolen from this and this car since it happens ALL THE TIME. Hell, the first Ferrari's were Alfa Romeo's with different badges, those thieving bastards. :rolleyes:

I don't think GM's copying them so much, but Chrono's raised a good point. As well as the Corvette may perform, if you park it next to a Ferrari, other will usually garner the most attention from passers by. It's strictly subjective, but one could argue the Ferrari's seem to be imbued with more "passion" in design and embodiment. Or maybe it's a "grass is greener on the other side" phenom? People see the Ferrari, or the Lambo, or the Aston and think "it's foreign, it's expensive, so it must be better"?

That is true, then again the Ferrari's do have some what more care put into them then the Corvette. Reason why the Ferrari will get the attention is due to the fact it is foreign and out of the hands price wise of most people. The Corvette however is domestic and has a relativly more attainable price tag.

Well, no wonder the new Stang is listed at 3550 lbs. I hate to come back to the same thing again, but it's really the only big thing detracting from the new Stang for me. Stylistically speaking, this thing has a big fat arse! Even bigger than my old car. And I bet I still have more trunk space [could get a whole body in mine!] :p

post-1488-1124677225_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1124677234_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1124677242_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Well, I've just recieved word that a new member of the famly is on it's way home.

It's a 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe, with the 6spd manual transmission, it's silver, and it's my dad's new car.

I personally can't wait to check it out! I'll get some pics up ASAP.

322135[/snapback]

Sweet! I just picked up a 6mt Sedan a few weeks ago. It's a blast to drive - especially after adjusting the clutch pedal.

post-150-1124677079_thumb.jpg

Wow, can this thing drive. Took it down the hill to a little twisty for a few minutes (with my dad worrying nonstop from the passenger seat...), drives awesome, and sounds even better. :D Makes me wish I'd gotten one myself, but it's a bit out of my range. Think I would have taken a Z over it, anyway, but they're effectively the same car.

Wow, can this thing drive. Took it down the hill to a little twisty for a few minutes (with my dad worrying nonstop from the passenger seat...), drives awesome, and sounds even better.  :D  Makes me wish I'd gotten one myself, but it's a bit out of my range. Think I would have taken a Z over it, anyway, but they're effectively the same car.

322159[/snapback]

Yeah, I have an '03 black on black 6MT Coupe with the Brembos. Best car I've ever owned.

Though now that it's been mentioned I can almost guarantee blasphemous name reviving such as that to take place.

321758[/snapback]

Dude, American car companies have been doing that for decades:

Chevrolet Nova - Originally one of the great muscle cars of the late '60s and early '70s, the last incarnation was a retooled Toyota Corolla in the mid '80s.

Pontiac Le Mans - Once a formidable coupe in the '60s, the Le Mans name ended up on a crappy Daewoo sedan in the '80s.

Mercury Cougar - The original luxury muscle car of the '60s became a Ford Thunderbird clone in the '80s before winding up into a mediocre FWD coupe in the late '90s.

Mercury Capri - Was a twin of the Mustang in the '80s, but ended up becoming a wimpy roadster. (I'll let bsu legato explain more on this car...)

Dodge Charger - The classic muscle car lost its reputation in the '80s when its name was slapped on a hatchback. The 2006 incarnation is no better.

322103[/snapback]

I used to have one of those crappy Daewoo "Le Mans", except mine was a 3 door hatch with an automatic, parts were totally unreliable, went through brake pads like crazy and broke a camshaft.

If GM had the right frame of mind, they could take one of the Aveo's and either stuff the Cobalt SS's engines into it, or they could find one of the Opel turbo engines and go that route (maybe play with a base WRX?)

If GM had the right frame of mind, they could take one of the Aveo's and either stuff the Cobalt SS's engines into it, or they could find one of the Opel turbo engines and go that route (maybe play with a base WRX?)

322354[/snapback]

That reminds me of the time two guys gutted a Ford Festiva and stuffed a Taurus SHO engine behind the seats, thus creating the SHOgun.

322354[/snapback]

That reminds me of the time two guys gutted a Ford Festiva and stuffed a Taurus SHO engine behind the seats, thus creating the SHOgun.

322381[/snapback]

The SHOgun was actually a concept car developed back in '90, and 9 were made.

The Shogun is a Ford Festiva-based road rocket that, taking into account it's beefy rear fender flares and aggressive air vents, looks like it was created to do battle with the Renault R5. The Shogun was a concept car developed in 1990 to shocase the talents of the Yamaha-based SHO V6 engine. These cars were manufactured as a join venture between Chuck Beck of Special Editions Inc., in Upland, California and Rick Titus and only 9 were originally produced.

The mid-engine rear-wheel drive dynamo relied on the SHO Taurus for a good deal of its parts. The most inspiring, of course, is the 3.0-liter, 24-valve, Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection (SEFI) SHO V6 (Jay is insulated from the 3.0 liter's loudness by a plexiglass divider). Thanks to Special Editions, the Shogun lives on and can be constructed if someone with a donor vehicle has the courage. A Ford Festiva is agumented with numerous high-quality body pieces including fender-flares, a trick front airdam outfitted with PIAA driving lights, special vented hood and rear fenders with venting grills. With 220 horsepower and a 2190-pound gross vehicle weight, the cars 9.95:1 power-to-weight ratio promises to pack a punch (note: with the shot of nitrous, this changes drastically from 9.95:1 to 7.06:1).

http://www.shotimes.com/php-bin/modules.ph...article&sid=231

Got the WRX back today, nice to have it back. But I took it up for a shakedown, and I'm realizing more and more something that's tearing me up. In terms of the drivers in the canyons here, I'm quite fast, but I just can't seem to master the techniques that would make me a "good" driver. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm having so much trouble improving my real skills. I can only seem to drive with my conscious mind, being able to control the car with my subconscious is eluding me, no matter how hard I try. I understand a lot of the techniques in a semi-academic sense, but I have no real sense of how they work in the real world, and some things I just won't "click" for me. Driving to increase my speed through series of corners, or to maximise my grip, I just don't feel it, and I know that I need to to become a better driver. It's just really bugging me right now.

Ah, it sounds like you're seeking that elusive state of mind that the driver seeks in his high performance endeavors--the area of the brain's consciousness that can allow and sustain the heightened concentration and situational awareness required for operating vehicles at otherwise ludicrous speeds/limits of traction. I like to refer to it as my "moment of Zen," in reference to being behind the wheel. It's the lucky few who can achieve this state of mind consistently and for sustained periods that are so fortunate sometimes as to be able to make a living at driving racing cars. It is them that I envy above all. Lucky bastards.

I have found that I achieve my best results when I focus on doing everything smoothly--throttle, steering input; think of it as dancing, if you will. The car is your dance partner. Making the weight transfers and power transitions with the chassis flow as smoothly as possbile is what made my speeds go up and lap times [at racing school] come down. That, plus forcing myself to look further ahead along the road, and "around the corners," i.e. not just focusing on the apex, but looking on ahead where I was going, out of the corner and on towards the next turn in [where applicable].

Here's a trick an older racer told me about, similar to M. Donohue's concept of the "pendulum weight dangling on a string from your nose." If you've got a cupholder close to the dash, where you can see the container w/out being distracted or taking your eyes off the road, put a nearly full cup of water in it and take yourself to a stretch of canyon road--one where you can make repeated and pretty consistent runs ea. way. Focus on going through that section and pay attention at all your critical points--brake, turn in, corner exit--as to how much that water is upset/sloshes in your cup. You want that water sloshed as little as possible. Try it w/no cup lid--not full to the brim, of course--if you really want to make yourself use a smooth hand. ;) Sounds corny, but it worked for me.

Got the WRX back today, nice to have it back. But I took it up for a shakedown, and I'm realizing more and more something that's tearing me up. In terms of the drivers in the canyons here, I'm quite fast, but I just can't seem to master the techniques that would make me a "good" driver. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm having so much trouble improving my real skills. I can only seem to drive with my conscious mind, being able to control the car with my subconscious is eluding me, no matter how hard I try. I understand a lot of the techniques in a semi-academic sense, but I have no real sense of how they work in the real world, and some things I just won't "click" for me. Driving to increase my speed through series of corners, or to maximise my grip, I just don't feel it, and I know that I need to to become a better driver. It's just really bugging me right now.

322776[/snapback]

Autocross.