Appleseed The Movie (Update)

I'm with Radd with regards to how GOOD CG animation should look. From the moment I saw the preview, I kinda expected Appleseed to turn out the way it is... overly clean and too sharp, like there wasn't any atmospheric blurring between the audience and the distant buildings. (Heck, the Blade Runner FX crew solved THAT issue with analogue means back in the 80's!!). At least in the SAC series, Production IG didn't let that happen too often (if at all)... and Appleseed is a movie!

As for Innocence, the "too sharp" issue only happens in a couple of instances - most memorably the tilt-rotor plane's flight (beautiful BR-inspired landscapes, but plane and birds too stiff), and the robot parade (offset to some degree by the slow camera panning and sheer eye-candy).

Edited by drifand

• 1 year later...

BUMPITY BUMP!

From ANN

Production is underway for a sequel to the Appleseed film, as well as a TV series based on the franchise, according to an interview with Masamune Shirow in the latest Kikan-S magazine. LA's Axis Entertainment first announced the plans in December 2004.

I thought there was some news from way back about Appleseed being a movie triology.

And now they have an extra TV series. Well as long as its gonna be 2D.....

I remember hearing unsubstantiated rumors that Production IG might be involved in the Appleseed TV series. I wonder if there's any truth to that.

380978[/snapback]

Edit: Sorry, did not see the post above regarding the sequel.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Meh, unless they make serious improvements in writing it's difficult for me to get excited. I can handle ugly visuals if the writing is good, even better than I can handle lacking writing if the visuals are good, and that movie didn't exactly have either.

Which is too bad, because I've since read the original manga and loved it.

Edited by Radd

I remember seeing the trailer for this Applseed CG a few years ago and freaking out! I finally saw it and bought it. I thought it was very cool for what it was. I don't think "every" anime should convert to this method. I just think of it as a tool or another medium to enhance anime. I kinda agree/disagree with Graham. I love the CG valks too, but I am very open to new methods that are visually pleasing. I love eye candy. However, I understand what he said about the 80's anime. I just rewatched "Dagger of Kamui" and I was diggin' that again too. Things that don't change die off... just like the dinosaurs. I also hear that John Lassiter (the former head of Pixar now in charge of Disney Animation) cleaned house on the digital animators side with those who couldn't really draw. He's on a mission to bring back some 2D animation, so I'm stoked about that. I truly think that we'll all benefit from a blend of the 2D-3D-CG methods.

I just think of it as a tool or another medium to enhance anime.

These were my exact thoughts. I love cg when it is done well and think all the bad cg just gives cg in general a bad name. As it matures maybe it will eventually come into acceptance? I like both kinds for different things. (ie those nice camera pans in Appleseed of the city for example or the use of it in macross plus.) I don't see it as a replacement for 2d but like a tool that can enhance something. (I mentioned before that I am totally ok with cel shaded objects like mecha in Gits SAC for example)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker