BBI 1:18 F/A-18 Hornet Review

Knight26

Ok first off I am not posting picture with this today because it is raining at my place and the lighting in my apartment sucks for taking pictures right now. Second here is another great review,

Golden Dragons Color Scheme Review

Ok onto my comments. First off this beast is big, really big and I love it, despite having such a small apartment. The color scheme and paint are really good far better then anything I could do, one of the primary reasons why I like these things is that they are prepainted. Assembly is easy, everything just slides together and plugs in very nicely, and smooth, though the wings require a little bit of force. Disassembly is a little more difficult, especially the wings, but it can be done, just jimmy it back and forth and it will come out. The pilot is a great sculpt, with all kinds of nice little details, its almost a shame to have him sitting in the cockpit, that is why mine hangs off the boarding ladder. Even the helmet is nicely sculpted and is the most accurate removable pilot helmet I have seen on a figure this size, even on the apache pilot figures. The details on the main bird are very nice, all and I do mean all the panels I have seen on a F/A-18C up close are there, and trust me when I go underway on a carrier I do poke around the planes as much as they let me. I was very impressed to even see the chaff and flare launchers under the intakes, very nice touch. One detail that really caught my eye were the fuselage strakes just aft of the cockpit and immediately forward of the engines. Now if you study the real horent closely you will see that those strakes are only connected at the rear, behind the man fuselage bulkhead that seperates where the two halves of the airplane are made, the toy has this and has this done right. One thing missing from the design that takes away from it a little but not to a great extent, is the lack of antennae, I can understand why as those blade arials would be quite prone to breaking, but I have seen aftermarket ones and am considering getting those. Another nice detail is that the wings do fold, not 100% correctly but they do fold nicely, using a small slide in the main wing that extends out and then snaps back in, so it is not loose at all. The landing gear are done nicely as solid pieces taht still manage to folding into the main fuselage nicely, of course they do take up more space they should but that is easily overlooked. The landing gear also snap into place nicely and are veyr solid when on the ground, I have yet to see the sagging some have complained about but I am sure I will someday. Ok now I am just going to list the various good and bad points of the toy, starting with the gripe list, so I can end on a happy note, lol.

Gripes:

1) The horizontal stabilators are two identical solid pieces that can be swapped to either side, nice right, wrong. While it is true to the design their implimentation of it sticks. They are just two flat pieces, not a get that goes into hole or two but a flat tab that fits into a slot. I know it is a small gripe but is they had simply built them out of a slightly more rigid plastic and used a peg then they could also move.

2) Since we are talking control surfaces, none of the control surfaces move, I know few do on any of these but at least my 21st century stuhkas Elevators moved.

3) The use of soft plastics. Most of the toy is built out of hard plastic, very rigid, veyr nice, but some bits like the fuselage strakes and missiles and bombs are made out of soft plastic that bends easily. Now in thicker areas it does not bend but the thin fins bend easily, and my two fuselage strakes are warped as a resulted. I understand why they did it, but still it doesn't mean I have to like it.

4) The landing gear are made out of plastic. Now the toy is not that heavy, but still after a lond time sitting onto those plastic landing gear they will eventually sag, a metal landing gear would not have this problem. Of course that may have raised the price a few dollars, but for how much has already been invested, I say go for it.

5) Intake and exhaust depth. Ok this is just me but the intakes are not deep enough looking at the toy they could have easily increased the depth another inch without impinging on the landing gear well or any structural members. The exhaust, oh man, remember the old sky striker, the exhaust were two plug in cans that had the rear most turbine blade modled in at the end, which was what a good three inches in? The exhaust on this, while nice molded out of the softer rubber does show "turkey feathers" details nicely but the turbine blade is only depressed maybe 3/4 of an inch. And for no good reason, if there is a hidden structural member back there it could have easily been displaced, retaining its strength and allowing for a slightly truncated afterburner can.

6) Holes. The ventral fueslage has numerous small holes, mostly rectangular in shape through which they wound the numerous twist ties that keep the toy in place in the packaging. Now I understand why those are there and they did a good job of covering them up, sticking them where they are a little less likely to be seen and fit into the design as best they can but, come on provide some polycaps to fill them. While on that subject they do have poly caps at certain key areas but they do not match the contours of the design well, come on people ploycaps are nothing new.

7) Weapons mix. The toy comes with two sidewinders (fixed to their tip rails, I believe the ones of the F-16 can come off their rails), four Mk-82s on two dual racks and three drop tanks. Now for the life of me I can not understand this load out, it makes no sense whatsoever. I would have much rather seen it come with some extra weapons so you can mix it up, hopefully someone will come up with some nice aftermarket weapons. I would have been so nice to have had it include some sparrows for the fuselage and or a set of Lantirn and FLIR pods, I wouldn't have even griped about the mounting holes.

8) The cockpit. Don't get me wrong the cockpit is nicely done, though a little shallow because of the nosegear, but the details are all stickers with only a few raised portions. My biggest grip however is that it is an 18C, I would have much preferred an 18D with two seats, for how big this beast is they could have redone it as a two seater without that much trouble and they we could have two really good pilots figures.

9) The nose, come on, if Yamato could incorporate a removable nose cone with radar on the 1:48 VF-1, how hard would it have been to do that here?

Ok I'm done griping, now onto the good points:

1) The pilot, already sung these praises but I love this pilot figure.

2) The ejection seat, it is actually a NACES seat, I love that and it is removable, though I would hve prefered a launch rail for it to be on, but the details are great so I can overlook that.

3) The cockpit, yes it is a high and a low point, but the raised details of the HDDs are nicely done, and the stick is beautiful plus the area behind the seat is nicely modelled as well. Also, a nice detail, there is a HUD, though there is nothing on it, it is nicely detailed.

4) The boarding ladder, though not 100% accurate, it simply plugs instead of folding away, it is a nice touch and gives my pilot something to hang off of.

5) Overall details are just gorgeous and are superbly accurate.

6) The landing gear. These are very nicely detailed and are quite accurate in their size and shape, though as I said I would have prefered metal ones. The launch arm is on the nose gear and is nicely done, and the tires are rubber that can turn, so you can taxi the plane all day long.

7) The arrestor hook is not just molded on but actually is a seperate hinged piece that can be raised and lowered, nice touch.

8) The paint scheme is very nice and highly accurate, I swear I have looked at planes with the dirt in exactly these same places, very well done.

9) Folding wings, the wing folding mechanism is very well done and I like it a lot.

10) Overall details and comprimises, very well done, they made only the comprimises they needed to in order to make the toy with keeping the toy accurate, overall very nice, like a fine model.

Overall I'd say this is a great toy and I look forward to the F-16, despite the fact that I am not a Viper fan. Also if 21st Century ever decides to make their A-10 I will be all over that bird. If you are an aviation nut who loves looking at all the little details, and have the room as well as the extra pocket change I say go for it. While it isn't perfect it is very nice and can be played with, if they ever make a MiG-29 I'm sure you will find me with my pilot buddies on the weekend in the backyward running around like little kids having dogfights. This thing eats the skystrike for breakfast. Now someone please come up with some more weapons to change this beast up with.

Mike that is EXACTLY what I wanted!! THAN K YOU for the thorough review!!

People are having hope that BBI makes an A-10 since 21st has problems doing so as it seems. I want russian planes especially a flanker.

I cannot wait for your pics!! I bet they will be awesome. And I agree with the weapon loadout, I like the viper 1/18 loadout better because it is reminiscent of late 80s viuper loadouts and it makes senses and makes it truly likea multirole plane.

I still say "no" to those due to incorrect (and just plain weird at times) antenna arrangements. External antennas are how you tell A's and C's apart (well, it's how *I* tell them apart, there's no other method AFAIK)--the BBI has some of the C's, but lacks most of them. And not fragile little blade antennas, the "bump" ones just like the ones they already have molded on. The ALQ-165 antennas aft of the cockpit are the "weird" ones---they always look like "flat hexagons" in pics I see, but the real ones are teardrop shaped.

Finally---too many/wrong nosegear doors. That's a "just plain stupid" error IMHO.

There are no decals, it is all painted on, and DH I agree about the anntennae but like I said there are many people making aftermarket ones, even the bump anntennae. BTW the ones afte of the cockpit are not flat hexagons but flat ellipsoids, will try and take pictures later. I agree about the nose gear door, that is funky, but I like how they did the nosegear itself. And Shin my name is not Mike.

Sounds to me like this could be easily modified to make some of the gripes into pro's. I'm sure someones already hard at work making the cockpit and the rest of the plane light up with fiber optics. And no doubt someones making better, more realistic exhaust tips.

I want one.....bad.

That is for the most part my point, the gripes for the most part are small things that can easily be fixed by those with the time and inclination. I myself look forward to an eventual A-10, I will get it no matter what because I am a 'Hog nut of course then I will pick through and berate every liitle flaw, but I will still likely love it.

fatalist there are sightings o this@TRU for 79.99$.

Also. I apologize knight, I meant to say knight earlier but got confused with mike somehow. LOL sorry man.

Perhaps we can start a peition for larger fighters....21st century is the main competition now and they are working on a MIG-15, F-86, F-104 and F-4. Knowing this BBI's gotta do something t counter...

I would LOVE a super hornet(F model jolly rogers/black aces) and a F-14B bombcat. Hell super tomcat with all the fixings. Or high viz 70s era VF-1 wolfpack F-14A. DROOL

Oh, of course!!!! It's just I got a soft side for the VF-1 wolfpack high viz F-14A. That and the VF-84 high viz jolly roger are my FAVES~!! That and the F-14B GE-F110DFE super tomcat testbed. COlors on those rock as well.

I think wolfpack tomcats are really overlooked. Them and the jolly rogers have the best color schemes I have ever seen in the navy. Oh yea Vandy-1 too.

Wolfpack High-Vis would require block 70/75, which is too much to ask. Unless you could live with all the errors.

Honestly, I doubt even High-vis Jolly Rogers would be accurate---way too many places/companies/people base "old" planes on "current" pics and museum places. I mean, the Museum of Flight has an actual ex-VF-84 F-14 painted up like it was back then, but it's still really "wrong" in that it's in the as-decommisioned 1990's configuration, not as-built 1970's configuration. Even though it's the same, real, actual plane--it's still wrong, amazingly. If you are modelling an F-14 from 1979, do not use pics (or the real thing) of an F-14 from 1999...

I can't nit-pick A-10's though, will leave that to Knight26. :)

PS---the BBI F-16 is *early* Block 30. Small intake, GE engines. (A rare combo). However, no scheme they plan for it is like that. Mostly block 25's (PW engines), or 40's and 50's (big intake). The 2 main differences among F-16's are the engines (PW or GE) and intake (big or small). And they made the rarest type of all, the early Block 30 as built the only small/GE combo. MacDill, and IA ANG are among the few that have/had those planes. (NY ANG currently has them, but they've been upgraded and are more like late Block 30's)

fatalist there are sightings o this@TRU for 79.99$.

Also. I apologize knight, I meant to say knight earlier but got confused with mike somehow. LOL sorry man.

Perhaps we can start a peition for larger fighters....21st century is the main competition now and they are working on a MIG-15, F-86, F-104 and F-4. Knowing this BBI's gotta do something t counter...

I would LOVE a super hornet(F model jolly rogers/black aces) and a F-14B bombcat. Hell super tomcat with all the fixings. Or high viz 70s era VF-1 wolfpack F-14A. DROOL

Thats the thing, I keep trying TRU and see nothing except the 1:18 Apache and the Tanks. :(

I dont have the time normally to go out of my way to find stuff like this. So choking on online prices is just about my only option at the moment.

Yeah, kind of ironic that the ANG decals they offer are all for "non Block 30" planes, even though the ANG is *the* place to find early Block 30's. (Unless they did recent NY decals, I don't remember all the squadrons they offered)

Annoying rant: anybody who knows F-16 squadrons knows that the 174th, from IA, had truly kick-ass tail logos. And they were early Block 30's, exactly like BBI made. Yet that is NOT one of the decal designs. The one squadron that it IS accurate for--you can't get. :p (The 185th is where most of NY's Block 30's came from---now the 185th has KC-135's)

175th has probably THE coolest tail (South Dakota) and I think also had Block 30's (quasi sister squadron to the 174th)--and are also not one of the decal options.

Oh man the traitorous BOys From Syracuse, "Fast @$$ CAS" My hair left one. THey were for a long time the premiere and best CAS unit in the country, reaching their high point with the A-10, then they switched to the fragging F-16. The F-16 has no business playing hte CAS role, it stinks at it for gods sake, A-10, A-10, A-10 you stupid arrogant CHair Force Idiots. SOrry had to rant there.

Wow, a scheme that fits the model. Of course, IMHO it's pure dumb luck. They could probably pick another dozen states, all with Blokc 42's and 25's...

PS--NY is the 174th Wing. I was talking about the 174th Squadron. (Since there can be multiple squadrons in a single wing, I usually refer to the squadron number, not the wing.). NY(Syracuse) is the 138FS, 174FW. 174FS is the 185FW, Sioux City, IA. With our big black vampire bat tail. :)

I'm glad the defaul;t scheme was the wolfpack of 8th TFW. Someone with both the falcon and hornet please let me know if the stores are interchangeable. What I hate about air force planes is that they normally don't have that many glamorous planes, almost all grey. BTW did anyone pick up the blue angels BBI 1/18 F/A-18? It's been out for a few weeks. Hopefully future falcon releases have some high viz, like tigermeet, hell if they make a big spine F-16D israeli falcon I will be IMMENSELY happy.

(darn it someone needs to make some big 1/18 2 seaters....like the MIG-29M2).

True (about color of USAF planes). We should be thankful the Navy has loosened up on color rules---in the mid/late 80's, even the CAG plane would have NO color whatsoever. You need to go back to the 1960's to have colorful USAF planes---but many of the century-series planes were quite colorful.

Man I want to see some 70's NAM era fighters in 1/18 scale like...

-F-4E SE Asia camo (USAF)

-A-7D SLUF SE Asia camo

-High viz A-4E navy (from oriskany?)

-VF-111 F-8

-VF-111 F-4 or VF-96 phantom J

-F-105D THUD. THE WORKHORSE AND VERY AWESOME. A WILD WEASEL F MODEL WOULD BE EXCELLENT AS WELL.

-F-14A in VF-1/VF-2 Wolfpack& bounty hunter versions high viz(from operation:frequent wind 1975).

A-4 and F-8 would be easy to make since they are relatively small compared to the phantom and thud (close to F-16 if not smaller for the scooter).

I'm glad the defaul;t scheme was the wolfpack of 8th TFW. Someone with both the falcon and hornet please let me know if the stores are interchangeable. What I hate about air force planes is that they normally don't have that many glamorous planes, almost all grey. BTW did anyone pick up the blue angels BBI 1/18 F/A-18? It's been out for a few weeks. Hopefully future falcon releases have some high viz, like tigermeet, hell if they make a big spine F-16D israeli falcon I will be IMMENSELY happy.

(darn it someone needs to make some big 1/18 2 seaters....like the MIG-29M2).

Dont tell me this. I dont need to buy more stuff. :p Now I have to go look for it.

I really hope to see the F-14s come out with the Red Rippers and Tomcatters squadron insignias.

LOL here we go! Some of us macross valk buyers turned 1/18 buyers. But yes I do believe it is likely the F-16 will be painted in thunderbirds paint scheme being that the hornet eventually was painted as a blue angel. Badcataviation.com seems to be the best place to buy these toys, and the hornet blue angel is still in stock I believe.

LOL here we go! Some of us macross valk buyers turned 1/18 buyers. But yes I do believe it is likely the F-16 will be painted in thunderbirds paint scheme being that the hornet eventually was painted as a blue angel. Badcataviation.com seems to be the best place to buy these toys, and the hornet blue angel is still in stock I believe.

Yes they do. Problem is that I will need to have 6 of them so I can have the Blue Angels squadron... ugh. I thinkI am gonna skip it.

yea, its the new joe F 22. skystriker reissue plans are cloudy & people doubt it can pass the mandatory 8ft drop test. So for now the thunderwing will do. The pilot, slipstream is a new mold who is a new version of the X-30 conquest pilot, who now flies the F-22. Ace got the shaft and flies a tigerhawk...which is a semi POS.

Dunno if we will see the skystriker reissued but last i heard hasbro was cleaning the molds. Maybe 05, i HOPE. Still wondering if I should purchase a 1/18...ohd ecisions...