Virginroad VF-1D

hellohikaru

I understand, but Max's VF-1D is different in the line art. And my thinking was that the 1D nose section would be perfectly compatible with Max's 1J Valkyrie as long as it never had to change to Battroid. It was after all just for a 10 minute flight.

Oh, so you're saying that instead of going through all the trouble of repainting an aircraft, instead they simply designed, constructed, and painted an entirely new, unique two-seat cockpit/nose section that would mate with a -1J.

Well now, that does seem sensible.

Such hostility. I said it makes more sense to remove a VF-1D's nose section, paint it, and slide it on Max's VF-1J than to paint a entire Valkyrie, then repaint it again. Yes, that's what I said I felt they should have done. Why? Because Roy removed a VF-1D's nose section in mere minutes. It was also completely compatible with a gunpods mount suggesting serious compatability between Valkyries. The Studios own line art for Max's VF-1D is different. It never transforms or has a need to for a ceremonial flight so it is plausible given the rush to get the couple wed before the next attack.

Painting a Valkyrie wouldn't be simple. First you'd need to paint a base color for the fighter. Let it dry. Tranform it to the Gerwalk. Finish the base color spots that got missed. Transform it to Battroid and finish the rest of the missed base color. Let it dry. Add the custom color. Let it dry. Transform it. to the Gerwalk. Paint the custom color. let it dry. Finally transform it back to fighter and finish the custom color. Let it dry. Then you'd need to stencil all the markings and warnings back on. So strictly for a paint dry time we're at a extremely conservative 21 hours at 3 hours drying time. None of that time includes masking, primer, or actual painting. Realistically the prep time is always longer than the paint time. Say 12 hours prep time, about 2 hours to mask between each variation. 33 hours, and that's being very conservitive with a crew around the clock on the project during combat. Four plus shifts.

Let's just say I was right. Say 5 minutes to remove a VF-1D's nose. Say 2 hours to re-install given the extremely compatibility and a hour of flight check. The nose would need 3 hours for the base, 3 for the custom and 3 for stencils. The prep work would be much less cause the scheme there is easy. So say 2 hours for prep. 14 hours 5 min. less than Two shifts during combat.

I said it makes more sense to remove a VF-1D's nose section, paint it, and slide it on Max's VF-1J than to paint a entire Valkyrie, then repaint it again. Yes, that's what I said I felt they should have done.

But a VF-1D is more than a -1J with a different nose. The fuselage is completely different and thus it would be incapable of mounting to Max's -1J. It wouldn't even work as a non-transformable fighter since the fairing into the rest of the body is defferent.

Why? Because Roy removed a VF-1D's nose section in mere minutes. It was also completely compatible with a gunpods mount suggesting serious compatability between Valkyries.

How? It shows a serious ability to hang a nose under another fighter. Roy couldn't have swapped noses on his fighter since his fuselage was completely different than Hikaru's.

Painting a Valkyrie wouldn't be simple. First you'd need to paint a base color for the fighter. Let it dry. Tranform it to the Gerwalk. Finish the base color spots that got missed. Transform it to Battroid and finish the rest of the missed base color. Let it dry. Add the custom color. Let it dry. Transform it. to the Gerwalk. Paint the custom color. let it dry. Finally transform it back to fighter and finish the custom color. Let it dry.

Why does it need to dry for the transformation? Indeed why transform it at all? One could simply half transform it into some kind of exploded version and set the robot spray arms on it.

Let it dry. Then you'd need to stencil all the markings and warnings back on. So strictly for a paint dry time we're at a extremely conservative 21 hours at 3 hours drying time. None of that time includes masking, primer, or actual painting. Realistically the prep time is always longer than the paint time. Say 12 hours prep time, about 2 hours to mask between each variation. 33 hours, and that's being very conservitive with a crew around the clock on the project during combat. Four plus shifts.

Paint doesn't require a crew to make it dry. Put it into an oven and it pretty much handles itself. Robotic spray booths don't require man hours or shifts (they're full of robots). Sparying on stencils and warnings take no time at all (they are applied and re-aplied all the time in the field).

Let's just say I was right. Say 5 minutes to remove a VF-1D's nose. Say 2 hours to re-install given the extremely compatibility and a hour of flight check. The nose would need 3 hours for the base, 3 for the custom and 3 for stencils. The prep work would be much less cause the scheme there is easy. So say 2 hours for prep. 14 hours 5 min. less than Two shifts during combat.

But you're not right, the fuselages on the two variants are completely different. If there was all this "extreme compatability" you talk about (is that on ESPN2?) they'd all have the same fuselage. Even if all the connectors are the same they still couldn't mate since the two different fighters are physically different.

I don't see how the lineart wasn't a "real" Vf-1D.... just because the paint-job was different. I can see the panel line running straight across the top of the fuselage (as opposed to the angular cut of the one-seaters)

Look dude, I'm not gonna say that you're "not right"... but I find it really hard to believe that you honestly think that still, despite all of the evidence presented....and I might add that so far, nothing concrete has been presented in the "Vf-1J" argument.

What kills me is that there is alot of technical aspects to this whole thing. When in the end, all I was hpoing for was that it would look cool, and add to the story. Whether or not it's true to the Macross Bible isn't the issue. But rather, was it faithful to the idea of a fictional story about fictional people doing fictional things? :lol:

All this talk about a VF-1D swapped with a VF-1J, straight lines across chest plates vs. angled lines. I guess it's too much for me. If it's a model, I'll build it. If it's Macross, I'll watch it. In the end, isn't it all we wanted was a good Macross model? :p

Sorry for the tangent there. ;)

Hagan

But some of us really like the technical stuff too. It's fun trying to figure little bits a pieces of a show like Macross. It helps with researching details for models. There's a ton of information surrounding it trying to make it more believable instead of 50' aliens attack Earth and giant robots defeat them. If any of the tech stuff interests you, I suggest you get a copy of the book 'Macross Perfect Memory'. It is the Macross bible. It has info on just about everything in the TV series. Of course it's all in Japanese though. B)

Such hostility.

Does it really seem hostile? Everyone seem very firm on their positions, but I don't think it's been hostile.

I said it makes more sense to remove a VF-1D's nose section, paint it, and slide it on Max's VF-1J than to paint a entire Valkyrie, then repaint it again. Yes, that's what I said I felt they should have done. Why? Because Roy removed a VF-1D's nose section in mere minutes. It was also completely compatible with a gunpods mount suggesting serious compatability between Valkyries. The Studios own line art for Max's VF-1D is different. It never transforms or has a need to for a ceremonial flight so it is plausible given the rush to get the couple wed before the next attack.

But if that were the case, why would they slap together a valk that can't transform. If they we're in such a rush to get back to battle, wouldn't it take more time to switch the nosecones back than to just give someone the "keys" to a fully working valk that they painted blue? And who's to say that they even intended on painting it back? I say they painted a 1D for the couple as a wedding gift. If they don't run low on Valks in battle, it could just stay out of combat. And if it did see battle again, who ever had to fly it probably "bought the farm" in a nice blue VF-1D

Painting a Valkyrie wouldn't be simple. First you'd need to paint a base color for the fighter. Let it dry. Tranform it to the Gerwalk. Finish the base color spots that got missed. Transform it to Battroid and finish the rest of the missed base color. Let it dry. Add the custom color. Let it dry. Transform it. to the Gerwalk. Paint the custom color. let it dry. Finally transform it back to fighter and finish the custom color. Let it dry. Then you'd need to stencil all the markings and warnings back on. So strictly for a paint dry time we're at a extremely conservative 21 hours at 3 hours drying time. None of that time includes masking, primer, or actual painting. Realistically the prep time is always longer than the paint time. Say 12 hours prep time, about 2 hours to mask between each variation. 33 hours, and that's being very conservitive with a crew around the clock on the project during combat. Four plus shifts.

Why would they paint the whole valk? Weren't you the one who said that it never saw other modes and was only used for 10 minutes before they had to paint it back. If that hypothesis holds true, they would've just painted it in fighter mode.

Let's just say I was right. Say 5 minutes to remove a VF-1D's nose. Say 2 hours to re-install given the extremely compatibility and a hour of flight check. The nose would need 3 hours for the base, 3 for the custom and  3 for stencils. The prep work would be much less cause the scheme there is easy. So say 2 hours for prep. 14 hours 5 min. less than Two shifts during combat.

They're painting a combat jet, not a show car. I don't think they'd spend too much time or effort slapping a paintjob on a Valk that was going to get shot at the next day. Besides, it's usually moving too quick for anyone to care if it wasn't painted perfectly.

1. It's a like a debate, ya gotta have protaganist and antagonist. I haven't resorted to sarcasm. Yet. :D

2. They were rushing to get the couple wed before the next battle, not to it. I don't think they'd let somebody else in Max's colors at the same time he flew. Just wouldn't feel right. But it is possible.

3. That's my arguement. Even if they only painted the 1D in fighter, it would still take a lot longer than the nose only.

4. Do you honestly believe that pilots don't wax their planes like car buffs? All the pilots I know have. I would. Max and Kakizake were shown once in coveralls doing something to their Valkyries so it's pretty safe to say Max would've noticed and cared if the paint was botched. ;)

• 1 year later...
maybe the Macross expected trouble and sent the gunpod along in case the Zentradi decided to try something during the wedding?

more than likely...

19848[/snapback]

Well we know who's to blame for this animation snafu "animefriend" who couldn't get the animaton right and to Studio Nue's standards.

Virginroad

10028756a.jpg

Max1J

hsg_vf1jset.jpg

What is the role of the virginroad VF-1D ?I though its suppose to be nothing more than a wedding limo so why carry a gunpod ?

And if they(Max & Milia) are getting tied why not have a combination of red and blue on the valk ?

Do you think they dispense with the standard practice of painting PL-Max Jenius and PL- Milia Jenius on the canopy with Groom- Max and Wife-Milia(haha just kidding)

19749[/snapback]

In "Virgin Road" the valkyrie is used towards the end of the episode during the an attack. Max is flying the VF-1D and Milia is the co-pilot. In the scene where they are shooting at attacking battlepods Milia decides she does not want to kill anymore and instructs max to shoot the battlepods where the legs join the the main body, just below the cockpit. This would only disable the battlepods but would not kill the pilots.

Just take a look at the episode and you'll see why it does have a purpose for existing.

B))

• 2 weeks later...