Design/Make your own Macross toys...

fifbeat

So... crazy expensive.. what does that come out to, hundreds of thousands, thousands, hundreds.. what?

If you were to say, prototype a joke machines, what would that cost?

:Dat

this would be good for people who want to mod their toys and models but lack the sculpting skills to do so...if i was crappin money like crazy i'd probably buy one :lol:

How would you use that machine if you can't sculpt? I mean it really is way harder to make a computer model than it is to craft it by hand. B))

How about this... everyone buy me California Lotto tickets and powerball tickets and if I win, I'll buy a few and hire those here that can do 3D models to create toys. Those that can't can just work on filling the powder and the chemicals. And we can start our own independent company for ourselves and be the lords of our own toys. :D

My company owns a rapidpro machine, we use it to make custom mockups of items for our clients. Three things that should be mentioned about rapidpro tech:

1) you really, really need to be well versed in software like Alias Studio. You have to completely build your item in the computer before you can output it to the stereolyth machine. The model has to also meet specific criteria and be "Watertight". You can't just dump any old model into it and expect it to work. A lot of time and effort go in to making a model that is to be put off on the RP machine.

2) the resin models our machine produces are very, very fragile and require tons of sanding and finishing before they can be passed off as a big chunk of resin that looks like a product. Sometimes we even have to make our models one size larger because so much will get sanded off in the cleanup process. Add to that the fact that weak pieces like antennas, legs or anything that sticks out like a rod or pole is very weak and snaps off with the slightest touch. You think modelling with polystyrine is bad? Try resin.

3) this stuff is uber expensive. I mean, really expensive. The time it takes to make the model in studio, lay it off to the machine, the cost of the special resin for the machine, so on and so forth... an average product mockup costs my company anywhere from $500 to a few grand to lay off. Admittedly most of that comes from salaries of the people doing all the tedious work to make the item but it is still very expensive.

In my experience using a machine like this to make toys or models is way too expensive and time consuming. Unless you are laying off a rapidpro of an upcoming toy or product you plan to produce by other means and you are just using this rapidpro piece to show people a rough idea of what your item will look like these machines are not really intended for the toy and hobby market.

These printers are getting cheaper every year (relatively) we use one where I work to produce early molds for rings and it is AMAZING to see it construct a 3D object piece by piece. Though I have always been tempted to ask our production guys do something for me, the cost of the basic material would prohibit them from doing an "on the side" non business related item.

Too bad

theres only one problem with your plan....

QUOTE (Jasonc @ Nov 9 2004, 06:41 PM)

everyone buy me California Lotto tickets and powerball tickets and if I win

call me silly, but how exactly would it be our company?   

What can I say, I'm a giver.

I think some folks are missing some key issues on this. Yes, the software most rapidpro machines use can accept a wide array of 3D data file but the actual model itself has to be made in a certain way. You can't just port any old model from any old program and expect it to work. I see this sort of thing done every other day at my business and from what my employees tell me it is a very deliberate, specific process that must be followed and things must be made from the beginning knowing they will be used on a rapidpro machine.