Toy ID

VF-1D Strike

I just won an auction on ebay but I'm not sure which versions of the legioss and Valkyrie I got any ideas? I figured I could use the Valk for parts and the legioss can transform so I figured it would be a nice addition even if it isn't the most sought after of legioss toys.

Here's the link to the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=49016&rd=1

Thanks,

R

Edited by VF-1D Strike

That's one of the small plastic transformable alphas by gakken (I think). The scale of that one would be 1:60 or 1:72? I don't like it much personally as it looks pretty sad in fighter mode. The battroid looks to me like a 1/100 scale, but I don't know too much about the old 1:100 scale toys. :)

you beat my max bid of $5.01 LOL. Here is what you got for your extra money...

go-bot small version leader one

a helicopter I assume is also go-bot

the alpha is the smaller three mode non-diecast one. The one that supposedly was designed to atach to the never made beta. Jwinges can tell you more but you probably don't want to hear it. Fun in a poorly made sort of way.

As for the legless valk. That was actually the reason I wanted the auction. Like the bandai and takatoku 1/100's, this one featured die-cast. Unfortunately, all the die cast was in the legs except for the chest plate. This version is, in my opinion, the best of the bootleg 1/100's. The shoulders weren't prone to breakage as much as the plastic one and the die-cast feet were kinda cool. The main problem was the non-secure hip bar that is prone to working itself loose and disappearing, as you can tell.

The poorly designed hip bar means that the bar from a bandai or taka won't work, nor will the joons style plastic 1/100's. I was thinking something might be done with a 1/100 model kit in this case which is why I thought about getting it till it went up in price.

To give you an idea of what they look like with legs, here is a pic from the auction the one I won came from. It's next to a 1/55 joons for size comparison and cause I got both in the deal. As it's the only 1/100 I have loose it now serves as the test dummy for removable 1/100 fast packs.

the alpha is the smaller three mode non-diecast one. The one that supposedly was designed to atach to the never made beta. Jwinges can tell you more but you probably don't want to hear it. Fun in a poorly made sort of way.

Actually the alpha is the diecast version that only transforms to robot and gerwalk modes. That's why it looks the way it does when the seller tried to transform it to fighter mode. Notice the shine on the shoulder parts, plastic don't shine like metal does. And the canopy is actually clear. The non-diecast version has the canopy paint white if I'm not wrong. :p:D:lol:

Look here:

Valkyrie Factory

The Alpha is the 1/55 3 mode version and it does contain a small amount of die-cast.

The one pictured in the auction appears to be a bootleg as the feet and chest are silver and the plastic is looks to be of low quality and slightly off color compared to the normal Gakken release. It is also possible that someone scraped the paint off the toys feet, exposing the metal underneath.

I'd be interested to know if the Gakken name appears on the toy.

How are you all able to tell that the 1/100 Valk is a bootleg?

I saw a 1/100 Valkyrie toy of that general quality (might have been a Takatoku, or a Matsushiro, or a Roboticjet--see below) for sale online without a head. I can't find the page anymore.

TAKATOKU_ROBOTICJET.jpg

TAKATOKU_ROBOTICJET_plane.jpg

(I'm now pretty sure the Roboticjet was the first Valkyrie I ever had, based on the weird gun it came with. Mine was stolen back in 1986. :( )

How are you all able to tell that the 1/100 Valk is a bootleg?

I saw a 1/100 Valkyrie toy of that general quality (might have been a Takatoku, or a Matsushiro, or a Roboticjet--see below) for sale online without a head. I can't find the page anymore.

(I'm now pretty sure the Roboticjet was the first Valkyrie I ever had, based on the weird gun it came with. Mine was stolen back in 1986. :( )

I think Totoro242 is talking about the alpha fighter, not the vf-1j. I don't know if there there ever was a bootleg of these as I never saw one, but who knows? :p:D:lol:

Edited by BoBe-Patt

bobe-pat, did you mean no bootlegs of the 1/100s? I used to have a bunch of those. $5 at the swap meet. Good quality too, but had those goofy guns. Before I ever heard of Macross or RT, so I didnt care about the guns.

actually I was referring to the alpha fighter. Well, I looked at the site that Totoro242 provided us and it looks like to be the 1/55 3 mode change. I never saw these before. Does anybody have any of these? And if you do, can you give us a little review on it and post pix as well? I never new about these and would like to know more about it. Thanx

Yes, it does look like the 1/55 three-mode. Note the way the legfins stick out diagonally. (Why did they make it that way?) The arms on the 1/55 trimode appear to have very limited articulation, which makes it look goofy in diver mode. Good news for HG/Toynami, I suppose, since their Alpha will also be a trimode 1/55.

Edit: My question was addressed to Hiriyu and Kanata67, both of whom spotted the 1/100 in the auction as a bootleg.

Edited by ewilen

As for the legless valk. That was actually the reason I wanted the auction. I was thinking something might be done with a 1/100 model kit in this case which is why I thought about getting it till it went up in price.

To give you an idea of what they look like with legs, here is a pic from the auction the one I won came from. It's next to a 1/55 joons for size comparison and cause I got both in the deal. As it's the only 1/100 I have loose it now serves as the test dummy for removable 1/100 fast packs.

Woohoo, Want to trade something worth about $5 for the valk? I thought it might have been some weird 1/55 bootleg I could rebuild but all I really wanted was the Legioss.

R

Yes, it does look like the 1/55 three-mode. Note the way the legfins stick out diagonally. (Why did they make it that way?) The arms on the 1/55 trimode appear to have very limited articulation, which makes it look goofy in diver mode. Good news for HG/Toynami, I suppose, since their Alpha will also be a trimode 1/55.

Edit: My question was addressed to Hiriyu and Kanata67, both of whom spotted the 1/100 in the auction as a bootleg.

The only three mode alpha's I was aware of were the really big one and the small cheap one. I had the two mode die-cast one and I couldn't get it into the pose in the pic. Maybe I didn't try hard enough or maybe it's different. Every die-cast one I ever saw also said "mars base" on it.

as for the 1/100...

I went through my small collection of 1/100's consisting of a bandai 1a, a taka lisa hayes cannon 1a, a joons style 1j, and to my surprise a joons style 1s in a joons style 1j box?!, plus the die-cast feet one I have loose. The die-cast feet one is the one that came with the really odd gun to my knowledge.

anyways... as for how I made my educated guess about it. For starters, it looks just like the one I am holding in my hands at the moment. What distinguishes this one from the other ones I have is...

1. the ruddy brownish canopy as all the ones besides the die-cast feet KO I have seen are either red or black with the exception of the takatoku cannon fodder which is a brown valk so this obviously isn't it.

2. the lack of eye-piece sticker or paint on the head.

3. the notches on the head antennas

4. the fact that it says vf-1j on the wing [i don't think ANY of the 1/100's had the vf-? on the wing except this particular bootleg, though I would need more 1/100's to be sure]

5. how the macross symbol on the other wing looks kinda squished

6. stickers rather than paint on the chest plate

All this is in hind sight mind you. My original comment was based entirely on the fact that it looked identical to the one I have but for the missing legs ;)

does that help?

As for the legless valk. That was actually the reason I wanted the auction. I was thinking something might be done with a 1/100 model kit in this case which is why I thought about getting it till it went up in price.

Woohoo, Want to trade something worth about $5 for the valk? I thought it might have been some weird 1/55 bootleg I could rebuild but all I really wanted was the Legioss.

R

it's a possablility...

I have a few 1/100 kits I've been using for parts to make removable super armor for the 1/100's, and plan on doing the strike armor after I work out the glitches on my first attempt. Looting legs from a kit wouldn't be as hard as figuring out how to mount them LOL. Kidkorrupt did all three armors a while back, and plans on doing them again better at some point in the future.

I am practicing my skills so that when I decide to kitbash one with my 1/100 seeker resin I don't waste a rare kit ;) Shoot me a PM when you recieve it and I'm sure we could work something out.

I've got all 3 1/55 diecast legioss toys and the one in the pic certainly ain't that one!

I've actually got the legioss toy in the pic, and the small ride armor toys - and my advice is stay away from them, they are terrible. The only good gakken toys are the 1/35 and 1/55 diecast legioss and the large ride armor.

I've got all 3 1/55 diecast legioss toys and the one in the pic certainly ain't that one!

I've actually got the legioss toy in the pic, and the small ride armor toys - and my advice is stay away from them, they are terrible. The only good gakken toys are the 1/35 and 1/55 diecast legioss and the large ride armor.

can you give us more details on what it is exactly? And can you give me some info on the 1/55's you have with pictures as well? I really want to know about these. And how much did you pay for each one?

the diecast 1/55's are nice - the legs and body are diecast - surprisingly heavy for their size. When I was hunting for these toys I would search ebay by typing in 'gakken' - as you'd get the auctions where the person didn't know what the toy was but read the manufacturing stamp on the toy which would say "GAKKEN made in Japan" or "made in Taiwan" or wherever.

I believe matchbox re-released the big alpha/legioss 1/35 toys & 1/55 diecast toys and the big cyclone/ride armor toy.

You can tell the diecast ones as they have a grey gun, not a black one and the can't transform into fighter mode. They are 'skinnier' than their 1/35 brothers as they don't have to transform all the way. Look for paint chips before purchasing, as old diecast parts and paint jobs don't get along too well. ;)

Finished auctions:

1/35: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=19198

1/55 diecast: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=17017

here are some current ebay auctions for reference:

1/55 diecast: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=36568

1/55 diecast (badly transformed!) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...1&category=4696

1/55 plastic toy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=36568 - there are a couple of different plastic toys but they not the best looking.

big 1/35 toy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=16467

Hope I answered your Q! :)

And how much did you pay for each one?

oops - sorry I forgot to answer that one. :) It varied - the green one had a snapped head antenna (most of the ones not in their box will as its long and really thin. I remade one using epoxy putty but if I so much as sneeze on it it will break! :) ) and came without the box or gun so it was a lot cheaper.

My blue one came boxed and I paid about US$35-40. I think I got my green one for about $15 - 20.

If I can borrow the work digital camera I'll take some pics tonight!

Guppy, did you look at the Valkyrie Factory link?

Thats the complete collection of the Gakken Legioss toys, there were 4 different toys made, three colors for each toy, 12 total. There were 2 different kinds of 1/55 toys made. A 3 mode version and a 2 mode version. You have the 2 mode versions.

Just had a look - those 1/72 ones are the ones I really hate! As kanata said on the first page, they are the ones that were designed to attach to the Beta/Tread toy that was never prodced (except for a handful).

They have the worst paint jobs of any toy ever! I have been meaning to completely repaint mine but then I think "why bother?"

I don't have the 1/55 3-change one but I have all the others.

Hey I was watching all of those auctions =) thanks for the descriptions though. What do you think a decent price for those 1/55's is?

R

well they both look to be in great condition - I reckon you could get a bargain on the red one as it's a pretty bad picture. The blue one is boxed so that will go up. I've seen boxed 1/55's go up to the $50's. Try $20-25 for the red and $35 - 40 for the blue. I personally don't care too much for mint in box toys as it's a lot of extra money and I display them on a shelf anyway.

I don't think there was ever a 1/65 macross toy. There is a 1/72 gerwalk toy made by Imai (I think that's who made them). It was one of a 15th anniversary action figure line.

They are famous for their huge fists! I have a max super gerwalk - it's not bad but it's not great either.

I found a few on ebay - bad pic though. I wouldn't pay too much for them if I were you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=36568

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=36568

Yep - the 2 in the front are the toys I was talking about.. see how big their fists are? :D The blue one is the one I have.

The valk in the back is actually 1:72 - it's the Robotech superposable. It's a bit smaller than the Yamato 1:60's. As it doesn't have fast packs, it's the Version 1 - so its hips are fixed in this crappy wide stance pose. The other toy is the old Matchbox invid scout.

Overall, those toys are pretty average. Don't spend too much on em! Buy a yammie instead! ;)

also

the wings are detachable, you need them to be assembled on to form the fighter ,mode.

I HAD THAT ONE AS A KID!

Gods, but I hated it.

That stupid shoulder chain gave me no end of trouble.

I could never get it to move during transformation, and somehow managed to get it to pop out of the track several times.

And the fact that I really wanted the motorbike instead of the jet(this is how a child thinks of a MOSPEADA and Legioss) certainly didn't help.

Check out this goofy looking toy

:lol:

not!

it is another classic!

is that the one that is made out of diecast? That looks like it's made out of vinyl. Is it a bootleg?

I've seen pics of a really small die cast ride armor that looks pretty cool.