Eva-sentinels???

lord_breetai

Eva 01 head with a poorly executed Eva 02 color scheme...

If this were packaged as SUPER ROBOT GENESIS FIGHTER, it'd be a funny bootleg toy.

The fact that Marvel comics, the "House of Ideas", has sunk to this is pretty pathetic.

Still, who knew that mutants were hunted by robots piloted by whiny kids with serious parental issues. :lol:

while i like how the surgence of anime and manga has increased in the u i hate how industrial powerhouses like marvel are trying to make almost everything NEW anime like!!!

its horrible!! we see those horrid beckett dragonball guiudes and shtuff on b day plates...geez

even udon uses anim way too much now.

I am an anime AND comics fan btu sorry too much of one thing in life in general is NOT good.

man if they really wanted a badass sentinel and NOT get sued they shoudl have used capcom's sentinel design form marvel cs caocpom 2!!!!!!!!

sheesh. and plu an eva though powerful is not aesthetcially like a sentinel... Big o is like one,

Issue four of Marvel Comic's new title Mystique, a comic centered around a shap-shifting ex-terrorist who is unwillingly forced to work as a covert agent for telepath Professor Xavier, unveils a new design for the mutant hunting robots called Sentinels. Fans of Gainix Studio's Shin Seiki Evangelion might recognize the design as being heavily influenced by Asuka Soryu Langly's Evangelion Unit 02.

Can you say "Toynami"?

But hey, it's a total circle nowadays. Example. The Big-O ripping off of Batman.

Gainax's prolly ecstatic about it.... <_<

while i like how the surgence of anime and manga has increased in the u i hate how industrial powerhouses like marvel are trying to make almost everything NEW anime like!!!

its horrible!! we see those horrid beckett dragonball guiudes and shtuff on b day plates...geez

even udon uses anim way too much now.

I am an anime AND comics fan btu sorry too much of one thing in life in general is NOT good.

man if they really wanted a badass sentinel and NOT get sued they shoudl have used capcom's sentinel design form marvel cs caocpom 2!!!!!!!!

sheesh. and plu an eva though powerful is not aesthetcially like a sentinel... Big o is like one,

good lord man, proof read your posts!

you know what... (granted it has been awhile since I posted) I would not be suprised if Gainax would be happy about it, let it slide and hope that would be used only shortly say a couple of issues and never returned, (probably getting some royalties out of it aswell)....

Also in an old, extrmely old issue of New Mutants... Warlock turned into an armored robot and was used as armor for Doug... the name of the robot or series: Vifam

http://www.hlj.com/images/ban/ban01401box.gif

The USA in general is starting to lack creativity. Just look at the movies out today... Its hard to find an original idea out there anymore. Im surprised Marvel hadnt stopped to this level earlier.

-BEN-MAN-

GAINAX would also have to sue AOL-Time Warner for a Justice League episode they did...

had lex luther piloting an "eva-looking" type robot....and Cartoon Network is always showing the reruns of the JL episodes so you always end up seeing it

i'm sure they can get an @$$ load of money from Warner :D

GAINAX would also have to sue AOL-Time Warner for a Justice League episode they did...

had lex luther piloting an "eva-looking" type robot....and Cartoon Network is always showing the reruns of the JL episodes so you always end up seeing it

i'm sure they can get an @$$ load of money from Warner :D

Not to mention the old Super Friends episode with the SDF-1's bridge in it...

Hold the phones, people. It has not at all be clearly explained anywhere in this thread to exactly what extent this Eva "rip-off" appears in this coming comic, and in the Marvel universe in general.

If this is supposed to be a design for an older Sentinel that we'll most likely never see again, and only see for a few panels in this particular issue, then there's nothing wrong with it at all. It's a nod, a hat's-off, a homage. That's it. Now if, and only if, this design is to be used extensively in the Marvel universe can anyone cry foul. That's what "fair use" laws are for.

You people are sitting here talking about how Americans are quick to drop all creativity and rip other people off, well I'd like to point out that Americans are also quick to cry lawsuit and sick their lawyers on people, or suggest that others should do so. From what I gather in this thread, a lot of people don't like this, whether it's a spoof or not, just because it's Marvel. I'm sorry, but that's not really a rational reason, and certainly not grounds for legal action.

Again, unless Marvel uses this above and beyond what "fair use" laws allow, there's nothing to get upset over. Not from the companies involved, much less the armchair lawyers and Japacentrics among the public at large.

• 2 weeks later...
Hold the phones, people. It has not at all be clearly explained anywhere in this thread to exactly what extent this Eva "rip-off" appears in this coming comic, and in the Marvel universe in general.

If this is supposed to be a design for an older Sentinel that we'll most likely never see again, and only see for a few panels in this particular issue, then there's nothing wrong with it at all. It's a nod, a hat's-off, a homage. That's it. Now if, and only if, this design is to be used extensively in the Marvel universe can anyone cry foul. That's what "fair use" laws are for.

You people are sitting here talking about how Americans are quick to drop all creativity and rip other people off, well I'd like to point out that Americans are also quick to cry lawsuit and sick their lawyers on people, or suggest that others should do so. From what I gather in this thread, a lot of people don't like this, whether it's a spoof or not, just because it's Marvel. I'm sorry, but that's not really a rational reason, and certainly not grounds for legal action.

Again, unless Marvel uses this above and beyond what "fair use" laws allow, there's nothing to get upset over. Not from the companies involved, much less the armchair lawyers and Japacentrics among the public at large.

So far, that was one of the only sensible post in this thread.

I, for one, consider it as more of a homage thing. Even if the design were to be used extensively, I don't think GAiNAX would really care, anyway. They're a pretty laid back and progressive studio. They didn't bust ADV for using layovers on the first Eva DVD, after all, even though it was a violation of their contract.

edit: hm, I need to remind myself to look at dates before posting. I was linked to this thread externally and didn't know it was an old topic.

Edited by [NPH]

' date='Oct 12 2003, 10:20 PM'] edit: hm, I need to remind myself to look at dates before posting. I was linked to this thread externally and didn't know it was an old topic.

first post? hi!

for some reason i get the feeling the eva thing is not a homage, it gives me the impression they tried to change it just enough so it would look technically diffrent. even if that is the only pannel shown of that thing, it does lock it into continuity and make it part of the over all history of the sentinals in marvel.

i dont' think anyone should sue over this, i just think marvel should be ashamed of themselves thats all.

honestly the most likely thing is that who ever is drawing this probly has little to do with anime, discovered evangellion, created the sentinal from what he rememberd of the show, and didn't realize how strikeing the resemblence was.