Please Teacher! / Please Twins!

areaseven

ptboxcover.jpg16up.gif

Onegai Teacher (おねがい☆ティーチャー)

Please!/GENCO/WOWOW/Bandai Visual, 2002

Bandai Entertainment, 2003-2004

Directed by Yasunori Ide (Bastard!!, Burn Up!)

Rated 16-Up for nudity and suggestive sexual situations.

Based on the manga by Please! (published by ComicsOne). High school student Kei Kusanagi was lying around a forest one night when he saw an unusual phenomenon - an alien ship landing by the lake with a beautiful human-like alien (read: HOT) coming out of it. That was all he remembered until the next day, when he discovered that the alien he saw is none other than his new homeroom teacher Mizuho Kazami.

Story: A

This is not your ordinary romance anime. Onegai Teacher feels a bit like Ah! My Goddess, but the whole romance thing takes a lot of different directions when Kei tells about his past and later on tells his foster parents and his principal that he and Mizuho are engaged. Besides, who wouldn't fall for some hot chick who likes Pocky? :p

Animation: A+

Wow...after doing an impressive job with Azumanga Daioh and Figure 17, GENCO went all out in producing some excellent artwork and animation for this series. Character designs by Hiroaki Gohda (Ah! My Goddess, Bubblegum Crisis). Mechanical designs by Yasuhiro Moriki (Martian Successor Nadesico, Crest of the Stars) and Yoshihiro Watanabe (Nazca, D4 Princess).

Soundtrack: A-

Shinji Orito and "I've" supply an upbeat J-Pop score with '80s and '90s-style influences. The opening theme, "Shooting Star" by Kotoko, is a favorite among many anime fans.

Sub vs. Dub

Onegai Teacher features Kikuko Inoue as Mizuho (her best performance since Ah! My Goddess), Soichiro Hoshi (Kira in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, Kaoru in Ai Yori Aoshi) as Kei, Tomoko Kaneda (Chiyo in Azumanga Daioh, Cynthia in Hanaukyo Maids) as Marie, Yukari Tamura (Ranpha in Galaxy Angel, Ai in Full Metal Panic!) as Ichigo, Sayaka Ohara (Racquel in Scrapped Princess, Ezra in Vandread) as Kaede, Ayako Kawasumi (Ruriko in Gate Keepers, Melfina in Outlaw Star) as Koishi, Mitsuo Iwata (Kaneda in AKIRA, Itsuki in Initial D) as Hyosuke, Tomokazu Sugita (Hideki in Chobits, Subaru in X: The TV Series) as Masaomi, Hiroaki Miura as Matagu, Satomi Korogi (Menchi in Excel Saga, Moe in Love Hina) as Maho, Naoya Uchida (Hayato in Getter Robo Armageddon) as Minoru, Rei Sakuma (Kazumi in Gunbuster, Shampoo in Ranma 1/2) as Konoha, Omi Minami (Hyatt in Excel Saga, Ruri in Nadesico) as Kozue, Yutaka Nakano as Principal Tendo, and Yumi Takada (Ayeka in Tenchi Muyo!, Miss Shikijo in Mahoromatic) as Hatsuho.

Bandai's English dub by Bang Zoom! Entertainment is just as good as the Japanese dialogue. Featured voices include Bridget Hoffman (Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess: The Movie, Mima in Perfect Blue) as Mizuho, Dave Wittenberg (Kaoru in Ai Yori Aoshi, Saito in Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex) as Kei, Sandy Fox (Sumomo in Chobits, Risky in Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety) as Marie, Julie Anne Taylor (Meia in Vandread, Reiko in Gate Keepers) as Ichigo, Melissa Fahn (Edward in Cowboy Bebop, Miyuki in Kaze no Yojimbo) as Kaede, Michelle Ruff (Chii in Chobits, Saga in A Little Snow Fairy Sugar as Koishi, Tony Schnur (Akira in Virtua Fighter) as Matagu, Karen Strassman (Yuzuki in Chobits) as Konoha, Michael McConnohie (Dawson in Golgo 13: The Professional, Schwartzwald in The Big O) as Minoru, and Doug Stone as the principal.

DVD Extras

Under Construction.

The Bottom Line

A completely different kind of love story, Onegai Teacher brings out a different meaning to "teacher's pet".

Links

Please! (Japanese)

Bandai Entertainment's Official Please Teacher! Homepage

Reference

Anime News Network

ptboxcover.jpg16up.gif

Onegai Twins ( おねがい☆ツインズ )

Please!/GENCO/WOWOW/Bandai Visual, 2003

Bandai Entertainment, 2004-2005

Directed by Yasunori Ide (Please Teacher!).

Rated 16-Up for nudity and suggestive sexual situations.

High school student Maiku Kamishiro has lived most of his life alone. Then, he gets the shock of his life when Miina Miyafuji moves into his house and tells him she's his long-lost twin sister. Making matters more complicated is the arrival of Karen Onodera, who shares the same eye color as the other two. Despite having different lives, these three teenagers share a similar past that was lost in their childhood, and the only clues they have are the childhood pictures they have and the house they live in.

Story: A-

There was a lot of speculation on how this sequel to Please Teacher! would go without everybody's favorite teacher (and mine) Mizuho Kazami. Well, it turns out that she is in Onegai Twins, which is a good thing. As for the series itself, it seems darker than its predecessor, but with the same amount of fan service. And the plot development will have you wondering what will happen on the next episode.

Animation: A+

While not as flashy as Please Teacher!, Onegai Twins still boasts the same excellence in character design, artwork and animation.

Soundtrack: A-

The opening and ending themes are as catchy as ever, and the BGM is very lively with less of an '80s feel than Please Teacher!'s soundtrack.

Sub vs. Dub

Onegai Twins features Daisuke Namikawa (Dokkoida!?, Al in Mobile Suit Gundam 0080) as Maiku, Mai Nakahara (Rena in .hack//DUSK, Anna in Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!) as Miina, Ai Shimizu (Minawa in Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful, Yuzu in Shrine of the Morning Mist) as Karen, Michiko Neya (Nancy in Read Or Die, Melissa in Full Metal Panic!) as Tsubaki, Ryoko Shintani (Milfeuelle in Galaxy Angel) as Haruko, and Kenichi Suzumura (Shin in Macross Zero, Shinn in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny) as Kousei. Reprising their roles are Kikuko Inoue (Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess, Kasumi in Ranma 1/2) as Mizuho, Souichiro Hoshi (Kazuma in s-CRY-ed, Kira in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED) as Kei, Yukari Tamura (Ranpha in Galaxy Angel) as Ichigo, Hiroaki Miura (Chris in E's Otherwise) as Matagu, and Tomoko Kaneda (Chiyo in Azumanga Daioh, Bonta-kun in Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu) as Marie.

Bandai Entertainment's DVD release isn't out yet, but the trailer shows that Bang Zoom! Entertainment has done another good job dubbing Please Twins! Featured voices include Johnny Yong Bosch (Vash the Stampede in Trigun, Kaneda in AKIRA) as Maiku, and Lara Jill Miller (Scherris in s-CRY-ed) as Karen. Reprising their roles are Bridget Hoffman (Mahoromatic, Belldandy in Ah! My Goddess: The Movie) as Mizuho, Sandy Fox (Sumomo in Chobits, Risky in Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety as Marie, and Dave Wittenberg (Kaoru in Ai Yori Aoshi, Katana in Gad Guard) as Kei.

DVD Extras

Under Construction.

The Bottom Line

Damn, why are these aliens always landing in Japan?

Links

Please! Official Onegai Twins Homepage (Japanese)

WOWOW's Official Onegai Twins Homepage (Japanese)

Bandai Channel's Official Onegai Twins Homepage (Japanese)

Bandai Entertainment's Official Please Twins! Homepage

Reference

Anime News Network

Onegai Teacher was kinda cool. Quite distinct from the other harem type anime. Onegai Twins on the other hand was just annoying and anti-climatic. The whole show was riding on the possibility of love OR incest. Tracks by Kotoko & I've sound are great...as usual. Art is top notch.

And for those who have seen the show.... (warning, graphic intensive)

This place look familiar?

http://www.eonet.ne.jp/~smith/article/log/20030825.htm

Far too high a rating for Onegai Twins.

I wanted to like it, but it's a perfect example of an fine idea being mishandled. I like the idea of the story and I liked all the character, but it's 13 episodes long when they had nowhere near enough material to keep in interesting for that long - it ends up being lots of filler.

You will become very, very tired of the phrase "we might be related.. but we might not be". They beat this issue to death for episode upon episode, only for things to reset back to how they were the next so they can do it all again.

If would have been better if it were 6-7 episodes long, not 13.

Watching the series I always suspected that it had to be a real place. IT was too detailed an animation to be all imagination.

That said, I also agree with the post above about it has too high a rating. I used to think it was a very good anime, but soon after I realized that its story isn't all that deep. The whole withdrawl plotline I just find a little too far fetched. I know I know this is an anime where the main character is a alien space woman. But still, I didn't find it fit well into the plot.

Man, I love both these shows. I approached them expecting yet another stupid harem/pervy show, but both of them really paid off by approaching it in a rather adult fashion, dealing with some pretty real problems realistically.

I thought that Twins stretched the realms of belief more than Teacher (well, for a show where one of the main characters is an alien), but I don't think it really detracted much from the show. Both really captured the awkwardness of juvenile romance pretty well.

I was rather disappointed in the soundtracks, but the OP/ED and image songs are great....

Hmm, how does the fanservice compare with a series like say, Mahoromatic?

Much less. No nipples.

The last OVA episode of Please Twins has a little nip, and some more Mizuho fanservice as well.

Overall it's a good fanservice balance in both shoes. Not as much Herikawa in Twins as I would have liked though. :p