Destroid Phalanx Custom

Renato

Here's something I made in 2001 or 2002 (can't remember!) out of one of those cheapo Exo Squad reissues of the Destroids from the 90's.

I never actually finished it, it needs touching up on a few more places, but anyway, here are the pics.

I christen thee.. the MBR-07-Mk II-Kai Fire Phalanx! (Had to look up the actual designation in Google, 'cos I don't know 'em...)

post-4-1080582531_thumb.jpg

The speakers are real speakers. I used headphone speakers which no longer worked, and took them apart, then put them back together in a different manner to get the right effect... That is, to make them look like a "sound weapon".

post-4-1080582776_thumb.jpg

Another close-up. This thing was originally meant to be a kind of test thing, to see if it was possible to wire up a VF-19kai Fire Valkyrie custom kit with real working speakers.

Dunno if I'll ever get round to that... It'd make a hell of a radio, though!

post-4-1080583081_thumb.jpg

Here's something I made in 2001 or 2002 (can't remember!) out of one of those cheapo Exo Squad reissues of the Destroids from the 90's.

I never actually finished it, it needs touching up on a few more places, but anyway, here are the pics.

I christen thee.. the MBR-07-Mk II-Kai Fire Phalanx! (Had to look up the actual designation in Google, 'cos I don't know 'em...)

That's pretty cool. It'd be even cooler if the speakers worked. Maybe put a jack in his butt to hook up to your PC. ;)

I think you got your Destroid names mixed up. The MBR-07-MkII is the Spartan which is called Gladiator in Bobo-tech. The Phalanx caled Spartan in Bobo-tech is the SDR-04-MkXII.

Not bad... I don't really dig the scheme but always nice to see some destroids. Wish Yamato would release these in 1/60 and not at a 9800+ yen raping price...

Say, aren't those VF-1 valks from banpresto?

Yup. I've got a couple of sitting here, myself. Surprisingly posable, once the arms are tightened up.

IMO, they're far more poseable than the Yamato 1/60 versions.

How can I tighten up the shoulders on my Banprestos, by the way?

The main thing I did was to put a little bit of kneedable eraser into the ball sockets. I got the idea when someone here mentioned using blue tack. Anything similar to silly putty should work. The balls themselves tend to be too uneven to just coat with nail polish or paint. This does nothing about the arms falling off, though.

I've got a little more in depth fix for that. Basically I shave part of the shoulder block off, and glue on a piece of plastic with a hole and slot that are just big enough for the end of the ball joint to stick out through, then carefully pop the shoulder ball back in from the back. It helps to shave the shaft the ball sits on to be more round at the end, instead of square.

I'm hoping to get some in progress pictures, and make some diagrams when I get around to fixing my CF Bany.

Sorry to derail this thread. :unsure:

Shweet! But is that version for real? I haven't seen M7 so far.

How can I tighten up the shoulders on my Banprestos, by the way?

Is that a chogokin Alphonse?

Too many questions, I'm sorry.

The Alphonse is a "Labor In Action". I don't think Bandai ever did any more of the labors, just Alphonse. I could be wrong, though.

As for the Banpresto shoulders, I don't really have too much of a problem with them, they're similar to the way the Yamato 1/60 shoulders loosen over time. When that happens I coat the sockets with something. Anything, really.

The real problem with the banprestos is when the knees and elbows loosen. The forearm is put together with glue, so it's not as if you can easily take it apart and re-touch the joint.

And no, that version of the Phalanx does not exist in M7, or anywhere but the dark depths of my insane mind. That's not to say there aren't any "wacky" VF-1 and Destroid customs which do appear in M7, though..