Macross Frontier DVD subtitles Project

Xeros

Few minutes ago, I found the torrent with the first 3 volumes of the series on the asian dvd club tracker. Right now the Macross 7 project is on stand by waiting for more releases from central anime for the subs so I think is good work in Frontier for the time being.

Now the question is, which subs may I use? As far I see it I think the Thora subs are the best alternative, making some adjustments and leaving only the dialogue and song translations, but my intention obviously is to shere this here so I like to know if you consider some better alternatives for the subs provider

It seemed like pretty much all of the Frontier subs fall into the "Almost Perfect - But Not Quite" category. There are a few things we learned later on that changed the way earlier subs should read; many of the characters' names were romanized in bizarre ways or inconsistantly; Lunar used Robotech terminology; Shinsen continually translated Zentradi dialogue into English, whether or not it was translated into Japanese.

In other words, if you want to send me the scripts, I'd be happy to go over them and fix stuff. :)

It seemed like pretty much all of the Frontier subs fall into the "Almost Perfect - But Not Quite" category. There are a few things we learned later on that changed the way earlier subs should read; many of the characters' names were romanized in bizarre ways or inconsistantly; Lunar used Robotech terminology; Shinsen continually translated Zentradi dialogue into English, whether or not it was translated into Japanese.

In other words, if you want to send me the scripts, I'd be happy to go over them and fix stuff. :)

Whatever you fix, I'd like a copy to add to my personal collection of DVDs... B))

Is Shinsen still going to do the "finalized subtitle" versions that they said they were going to do once the series was finished?

I hope so, their stuff is the best, but at this rate its going to take them years to get through the series. (not being critical, just observing)

Taksraven

Whatever you fix, I'd like a copy to add to my personal collection of DVDs... B))

Y'know, I still have dreams of fansubbing/scanlating ALL of Macross...anime, comics, drama albums, novels, everything...getting it all together, with consistent terms and names, using the remastered versions.

But that would be a tremendous amount of work. I'd be much happier if some Wstern anime company bought all the Macross material, and then hired me to do the job...but as that's not likely to happen, I may have to take the plunge.

Thankfully, working on various Macross translations for the six or seven months has taught me a lot about my limitations, and what I can expect from myself as far as time frames go.

Y'know, I still have dreams of fansubbing/scanlating ALL of Macross...anime, comics, drama albums, novels, everything...getting it all together, with consistent terms and names, using the remastered versions.

But that would be a tremendous amount of work. I'd be much happier if some Wstern anime company bought all the Macross material, and then hired me to do the job...but as that's not likely to happen, I may have to take the plunge.

Thankfully, working on various Macross translations for the six or seven months has taught me a lot about my limitations, and what I can expect from myself as far as time frames go.

You could ride on the whole 'Internet 2.0' thing and ask for donations towards your project as well as helpers... kind of like a super-massive-ultra-fansub group! I would be more than happy to donate to such a project. Afterall, if Trekkies can learn Klingon, it shouldn't be impossible with a real language :lol:

You could ride on the whole 'Internet 2.0' thing and ask for donations towards your project as well as helpers... kind of like a super-massive-ultra-fansub group! I would be more than happy to donate to such a project. Afterall, if Trekkies can learn Klingon, it shouldn't be impossible with a real language :lol:

No...I really wouldn't feel comfortable taking money for something like this, unless I were doing it in an official capacity. My Japanese skills are still somewhat inadequate for the job, so no matter how little I got in donations, I'd feel like I was ripping people off.

You could do a wiki project. Have all sorts of people translate sound bites or text. Its sort of like how ReCAPTCHA works. Maybe make a Java app or widget that dishes out bits and pieces that people can translate.

Again, I dunno...I'd want to have final say over everything in order to keep it all consistent, and more translators = more egos. A small group of like-minded people who have a lot of free time on their hands would probably be best...

UPDATE

Source Files:

Vol 1 iso size 5.299.021.216 bytes

Vol 2 iso size 5.146.798.080 bytes

Vol 3 iso size 5.167.640.576 bytes

Script help needed:

Anyone has a script of the Deculture Edition with the ending song and the preview?, I already built the complete script with an incomplete one and replaced dialogues with the Yack Deculture Edition Script from Thora for consistency but I can't find those last 2.5 minutes translated

Any help is appreciated

Edited by Xeros

I went through all my Frontier episode 1 subtitles. I couldn't find the last 3 minutes of the deculture edition translated neither. I think the DYRL song is translated in episode 24 or 25, but it would need to be retimed and fancied up. Translators needed.

I went through all my Frontier episode 1 subtitles. I couldn't find the last 3 minutes of the deculture edition translated neither. I think the DYRL song is translated in episode 24 or 25, but it would need to be retimed and fancied up. Translators needed.

I'm finish the edition and timing for the 3 versions of episode 1 and for the song I used the cript of the DYRL movie itself, but the preview is still untranslated

The funny thing is that the TV edition was a true hell on editing, in the segment of the Sheryl's concert they changed the What 'bout my star segment of the song and surprise there's not subs in the script that I already have again. I look on the shinsen subs release and Lunar too, but seriously their translations of the song at the time make the "brief 25" a small joke in comparison, even the "Frankie" is more credible. Then I remember other DVD version fansubbed that I have and take the song translation from there.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone has a script of the Deculture Edition with the ending song and the preview?, I already built the complete script with an incomplete one and replaced dialogues with the Yack Deculture Edition Script from Thora for consistency but I can't find those last 2.5 minutes translated

Please, if you, or anyone else, still has the English subtitles for the Yack Deculture Edition (as found on the Blu-Ray disc), I would be for ever grateful. :) I can't find them anywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Macross Frontier Vol 1 DVD Eng subtitles patch

http://rapidshare.com/files/178886779/Macr..._subs_patch.exe

Please Remember the ISO's file size

UPDATE

Source Files:

Vol 1 iso size 5.299.021.216 bytes

Vol 2 iso size 5.146.798.080 bytes

Vol 3 iso size 5.167.640.576 bytes

Long Method with tutorial

http://rapidshare.com/files/178906892/Macross_DVD.rar

Again, I want to give thanks to Gubaba for his cooperation to the project

Edited by Xeros

Hi Xeros:

I ripped my Macross Frontier 1 retail dvd with ripit4me and dvd decrypter.

file size: 5,298,386,944 bytes

So, right away, I see that the ripit4me software deletes a few more files than expected.

Then, I tried using the very nice tutorial you put together and I became stuck on the muxman step.

When adding in the subtitles for yak deculture .m2v:

1. wide screen sst, wide screen button, english, extension: normal

2. go to button 2

3. letterbox sst, letterbox button, english, extension: normal

4. I add in chapters.txt from the demuxed folder

BUT, I have "Sub2: free" and "Sub1:free" and NOT "Sub 2: List of 371 subpics" as depicted in your .pdf picture file.

Otherwise, the pdf picture looks the same as what I have.

It looks like none of the subpics are being recognized by muxman.

Which step am I missing?

I'll try a dvd rip again of MFrtr DVD 1, but just with dvd decrypter and see what file size I get.

Thank you!

DVD decrypter is NOT the software used to rip the M Frtr DVD 1.

Some other DVD ripper software was used to create the .iso file.

M Frtr DVD 1 file size without any extra settings or software:

5,298,427,904 bytes

I'll try dvdfab decrypter next and see what the DVD file size is.

DVD Fab HD decrypter is recommended by asiandvdclub.org.

But, I still get a DVD file sized smaller than what Xeros is using for his subtitle patch.

5,298,405,376 bytes

I'm stumped.

One last try before going to bed:

I opened the deculture .sst subtitle file with notepad to see what I could see.

The subtitles folder has to be on the C: hard drive and the subtitles folder "00 SUBS" changed to "SUBS"

C:\Macross DVD\SUBS\deculture\Letter\

I'll test it out tomorrow.

ImgBurn software turns the DVD Fab DVD rip into a 6,808,600,576 bytes sized .iso file.

The iso file is bigger than the original dvd rip. I don't get that.

Edited by boinger

The only thing I can say regarding the image creation software is that from the source (ADC) the torrent says that was DVD decrypter the one used.

But anyway, the doubt I have is if you first rip the dvd and then you make the image? If does it, try to get the iso directly from the retail disc without ripping

Now the muxman thing...

I used a new set of folders to make things easier of understand... in the end backfires to me

You almost get the answer by yourself, the thing you must to do is open the *.SST files and change the directory line

post-8378-1231055006_thumb.png

I tried using ImgBurn to make a .iso directly from the M Frtr dvd 1 and that didn't work either to reproduce the same DVD file size.

5,299,081,216 bytes

For the Muxman/subtitle phase, it was easier just to move the macross dvd tutorial files over to the C: hard drive and retype "00 SUBS" to "SUBS" rather than retyping each .sst file with the new file directory.

"Birla" is supposed to be "Bilrer", the entrepreneur zentradi.

I'm slowly getting through the dvdsubedit phase.

If could get the same DVD .iso image size as you, then that would be much quicker.

Could you pm the guy who did the original Frontier DVD 1 .iso to ask how he makes his .iso files?

(**You mean, use dvd decrypter to make the .iso file? I'll try that.**)

Thanks again!

I was able to get the Macross Tutorial version working for a subtitled DVD!

Hurray!

I'm at 88% for converting the retail DVD into an .iso with dvd decrypter, so I'll see if I can get that to work as well.

Edited by boinger

DVD Decrypter .iso didn't work, but the tutorial did the job!

Xeros,

Would you be able to provide the rest of the DVD subs as winrar packages for the the M7 and DYRL projects?

I had the same problem of checksum errors with the Icarus DVD subtitle patcher for the DYRL DVD disc.

Optimusx made a subtitle patch for his version of DYRL, but eventually he had to share the whole patched DYRL DVD.

We could not get the .iso DVD file sizes on each of our computers to be the same

even though I have a retail copy of the R2 LE HD DYRL DVD.

The .iso has to be made in the same way in order for the file sizes to come out the same.

But, I don't know what steps or software works.

So, for now I'll just do it with your tutorial or watch out for a patched DVD.

Thank you!

Edited by boinger

"Birla" is supposed to be "Bilrer", the entrepreneur zentradi.

A few months ago, Shouta (I can't remember which fansub group he was working with) made the case for Birla, as opposed to Bilrer, Bilra, Habillar, and any number of other ways peple were saying it.

Basically, what it came down to is: A) "Birla" is a real name, and B) It's a Hindu name, and this fits with Kawamori's naming conventions.

At any rate, he convinced me, which is why I changed it from "Bilrer" to "Birla" on Xeros's subs. ^_^

Birla may not be the official name. The Macross Compendium translates to a very literal standard and might be stuck with Bilrer. The Compendium uses names like Quamzin and Vrlitwhai because they are the official English translations. Best to ask azrael.

I use Birla for the reasons Gubaba listed above, but also because it's phonetically easier to say and remember Birla, much like it's easier to say and remember Kamjin and Britai, the names used in the Animeigo subtitles.

I was just reading off of Macross Compendium Wiki.

Maybe, somebody could just update the name change there and make it official.

Birla may not be the official name. The Macross Compendium translates to a very literal standard and might be stuck with Bilrer. The Compendium uses names like Quamzin and Vrlitwhai because they are the official English translations. Best to ask azrael.

I use Birla for the reasons Gubaba listed above, but also because it's phonetically easier to say and remember Birla, much like it's easier to say and remember Kamjin and Britai, the names used in the Animeigo subtitles.

As far as I can tell, Egan Loo makes his decisions on romanizations based on whatever version is most prevalent. For example, while the name "Miria" shows up in Macross 7, "Millia" shows up in the animation for SDFM and on the toys and models. So "Millia" it is. "Vrlitwhai" is on the Arii model kit boxes. Of course, the lineart connected with the BW/Tatsunoko lawsuit romanized the name as "Bullitie," but that's the only place where that spelling has shown up, so it gets discarded.

Birla's name never actually appears in romanized form in Macross Frontier, so we're all pretty much left to our own devices. (And of course, sometimes official romanizations can make mistakes: I think it's likely that "Ranka" should have been "Lanka," and "Michael" should have been "Mikhail," but that ship has sailed. I did try to play fair with the latter, switching between "Michael" and "Michel," depending on what people were calling him. I'm a little concerned that anyone not familiar with the show and not really listening to the audio will just think it's a typo, though. :unsure: )

Y'know, there's a lot to be said for Sketchley's method of simply romanizing the names as plainly as possible (so that we'd be left with "Biruraa"), but I'm trying to take my cues from Fredrick L. Schodt's guidelines for transcribing Gundam names: try to romanize the name as closely as possible, but try to do it in a way that will resonate with English speakers in a way that enhances the work rather than detracts from it, which is why I'll probably go with "Klan Klan" instead of the more official "Klan Klang."

Of course, Schodt ended up with "Sha Aznable" instead of "Char," which seems to have enraged a sizable number of Gundam fans...so I guess sometimes you just can't win. :mellow:

UPDATE

Thanks to Boinger, we have a little characters bugs found them into the script, also I noticed that the first lines are slightly off screen at the beginning too

Version 2 is on the way problably out on tuesday

I'm going to start a version 2 right now

Edited by Xeros

Xeros,

Would you be able to provide the rest of the DVD subs as winrar packages for the the M7 and DYRL projects?

I have to check some tricks first since already I don't have the scenarist streams, so I need to check how it works with the sup tracks (theoretically it works, but we haver the color pallete issue)

PD: I'm almost done with the version 2 of the first DVD

Maybe late night I'm finish, I have something that I need to test

Done

http://rapidshare.com/files/180235531/Macross_DVD_V2.rar

Since I figured that most of people will use the long method, I'm only updated this one

There was corrected some messy characters in dialogs, the flick in points when we have sub on top and bottoms and some too long lines were adjusted

Edited by Xeros

Thank you, Xeros for getting this project in motion.

Thank you, Gubaba for your translation editing.

Macross Frontier 01 english subtitled DVD works great!

:D

Thanks to you too, for your feedback

I'm translating the english subs to portuguese and until now AonE's subs, wich have been used by Blinx'01 in its upload of vol. 1 to 4 at asiandvdclub, seem to be the best. Still i've tweaked a lot of stuff.

Where i still find myself compromising a lot is when it comes to military terminology. Ozma for example, is a Major in terms of rank and a squadron leader or flight commander in terms of position within Skull Squadron. In english using leader is good but in portuguese the word "lider" is used in other instances wich makes me call him "comandante" (commander). And the old Captain conumdrum, its a rank but its also the name given to the officer that commands a ship. Some fansubs call OZMA a captain but he is "Tai-sho" wich translates better to leader or commander, captain would be "Kan-cho".

As for the "-chan" and "sempai" i'll just leave them. no matter how you translate them it never feels right and this way you get a more authentic flavor.

I've already translated 5 or 6 episodes and i'll use these subs with the BDRip by [QYQ] to make my own DVDs. Biggest project i got my hands on yet. That is until i start Gundam 00, that will be the death of me.

UPDATE

Today Gubaba send me the script for the episode 4, and since the next week I'm on vacation I'll be able to work on the DVD 2

For all the people waiting for the Macross 7 subs, things are complicated because the scripts for the rest of the series that I have are made in the old *.ssa format (is the OLD central anime release), so there's no styles and the colors and positions of the text are included individually on each line of dialog, and I really don't have the time right now to make all the edits and re-styling myself. So I have to wait until things calm down at work

Some fansubs call OZMA a captain but he is "Tai-sho" wich translates better to leader or commander, captain would be "Kan-cho".

Kanchou is not a rank in Japanese. Actually, it is a japanese specifc word for "Master of the ship." In English, the term "captain" is both a rank and a term for the "master of the ship." Kanchou refers to only the latter.

It's like how a Lieutenant (rank) can be the captain (kanchou) of a ship, and why Global could is an Admiral and a Kanchou.

Kanchou is not a rank in Japanese. Actually, it is a japanese specifc word for "Master of the ship." In English, the term "captain" is both a rank and a term for the "master of the ship." Kanchou refers to only the latter.

It's like how a Lieutenant (rank) can be the captain (kanchou) of a ship, and why Global could is an Admiral and a Kanchou.

That doesn't exactly word, since in episode 25, Luca (under NUNS) called Ozma Tai-sho (Which in my sub is translated as Major) and then Ozma scolded him and called him 'Skull-3' and then Luca (SMS) now calls him Kanchou--- which, taken together with Ozma's past in the NUNS makes me think that he retired/took an honourable discharge as a Major in the NUNS and holds the rank of Captain in the SMS.