My Super Battroid

Gabe Q

I put a heck of a lot of work into this one and it's still not done. There are a lot of little flaws that I'm not happy with but I'm proud of it just the same. This is my best work so far.

I'm scared to death of doing the panel lines because I've ruined a couple of perfectly good models doing it. I figured I'd put these pictures up before I ruin this one too.

post-3-1113436010_thumb.jpg

what kit is this? it looks like it came out great, maybe you should just get a cheap kit to practice panel lines on before you start this one, it already looks awesome.

chris

I don't really have a plan. I'm gonna try oil paint thinned with turpenoid. I have to go buy that stuff though.

As for your suggestion, Zero-mare, I've practiced on a few models already but they always get dirtied up. It's really hard to get it just right. I searched all over for a good how-to guide on panel-lining but I can't find one.

The tan is Tamiya spray can color AS-15 and the white is Tamiya acrylic white sprayed on with an airbrush. Yup, I was planning to brush on a coat of future before panel-lining.

Any hints-pointers-suggestions-detailed step-by-steps-etc. would be appreciated. :p

what kit is this? it looks like it came out great, maybe you should just get a cheap kit to practice panel lines on before you start this one, it already looks awesome.

chris

I don't think it's a kit. It looks like a 1/48 to me. Good job though!

chris

I don't think it's a kit. It looks like a 1/48 to me. Good job though!

:p Sorry, forgot to mention that it's a Hasegawa Super Battroid kit.

If you have an airbrush I'd spray the future on. It can go on straight, no thinning. Do several light coats so you don't get runs.

If you brush the future on you could get a reaction with the future and the base coat since they're both acrylic. Never had that problem with the airbrush though.

I don't know what turpenoid is, but I use low odor mineral spirits and mix that with oil paints from the art supply store.

If you get a nice glossy finish with the future the thin mixture you make with the artists oil should flow right into the panel lines. Let it dry for an hour or so and the excess should just wipe off with a soft rag. Remember to wipe perpendicular to the lines.

I don't like shiny models so I always follow up with a flat laquer finish to seal everything in, but it's not necessary.

You could also try using Artists drawing ink and water -Makes for easy clean- up if you screw up. Here's a link to where I first found out about it. Ninfinger Productions

(Edit)doesn't look like the link is working so here's what it says:

A nice way I've found to accent the panel lines is to mix a solution of drawing ink and water. I don't have a mixing ratio, but 1:1 is about right. I use Pelikan grey drawing ink instead of black; this seems to make the lines a little less stark against the background colours. The nice thing about this method is that it's real easy to remove when you make a mistake, or the stuff 'blobs' in the wrong area. I apply the wash with either a wide (1/4") brush or a plain old Q-Tip, and I keep Q-tips and Kleenex handy to wick off the excess ink. The whole wing, tail, or whatever gets coated with the wash, and this prevents puddle marks on the model. Good luck and good modelling.

Edited by Chas

As mentioned run a few light coats of future through the airbrush then panel line away with oil.

Try it without turpenoid first. In my experience the oil did not need to be thinned.

I use Payne's grey with a little white mixed in.

Great job on the kit so far!

If you want to try something new with panel line, I would recommend:

Chalk washes

This method is totally reversable if you screw up. You might want to do a thin clear coat for protecting your decals, then apply the chalk washes. If it doesn't work out, you can still wash it out with water. If it looks good, then clear coat again to prevent chalk from falling out of the model.

Good luck, and hope to see more pictures. :)

As mentioned run a few light coats of future through the airbrush then panel line away with oil.

Try it without turpenoid first. In my experience the oil did not need to be thinned.

I use Payne's grey with a little white mixed in.

Great job on the kit so far!

Not sure what you're talking about not thinning, the artist's oil comes in a tube?? Consistency of toothpaste??

If you want to try something new with panel line, I would recommend:

Chalk washes

This method is totally reversable if you screw up. You might want to do a thin clear coat for protecting your decals, then apply the chalk washes. If it doesn't work out, you can still wash it out with water. If it looks good, then clear coat again to prevent chalk from falling out of the model.

Good luck, and hope to see more pictures. :)

This one looks really interesting. I might try this one first. Thanks.

• 1 year later...