My first 1/48

mister_e

I got my first 1/48 Yammie for Christmas and I just wanted to tell you guys: OK, so you guys were right. The 1/48 is the BEST valk toy on the market in terms of design and asthetics. I must admit, that at first I seriously doubted that it could be THAT much better than my 1/60's, but of course it is. I still don't, however, understand some people saying that the 1/48 has made them dislike the 1/60's. I do still like my 1/60's, I just admit that the 1/48 is better. Oh well, guess that's a different topic eh?

I should be getting my FAST packs from Tam @ Twinmoons sometime next week (early I hope :D).

post-4-1072455909.jpg

The first and not the last :p

From the "For what it's worth" department:

I got my 8th 1/48 Yamato right around Christmas from Kevin Lam of the Valkyrie Exchange. (As always, thanks Kevin...you rule! ) I took it out....put the armor on it....and admired it for hours. It's a Hikaru 1S Strike...nothing new...and yet it still stuns me with it's beauty. Truly a wonderful toy.

I got my 8th 1/48 Yamato right around Christmas from Kevin Lam of the Valkyrie Exchange. (As always, thanks Kevin...you rule! ) I took it out....put the armor on it....and admired it for hours. It's a Hikaru 1S Strike...nothing new...and yet it still stuns me with it's beauty. Truly a wonderful toy.

Jessee,

In Chinese custom, 8 is a prosperous number. Normally associated with wealth. 8 1/48s is a good thing.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Alvin

I got my 8th 1/48 Yamato right around Christmas from Kevin Lam of the Valkyrie Exchange.  (As always, thanks Kevin...you rule! )  I took it out....put the armor on it....and admired it for hours.  It's a Hikaru 1S Strike...nothing new...and yet it still stuns me with it's beauty.  Truly a wonderful toy.

Jessee,

In Chinese custom, 8 is a prosperous number. Normally associated with wealth. 8 1/48s is a good thing.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Alvin

Jesse,

ALftien is hinting to have you buy 8 more! :D

I still don't, however, understand some people saying that the 1/48 has made them dislike the 1/60's.

Give it time. :)

My 1/60s (and even 1/55s) still seemed cool for a while after I got my first 1/48s. But now, I'm considering selling them.

Now, obviously, this won't be the case with everyone. But it was my experience.

H

The 1/48 is the BEST valk toy on the market in terms of design and asthetics. I must admit, that at first I seriously doubted that it could be THAT much better than my 1/60's, but of course it is. I still don't, however, understand some people saying that the 1/48 has made them dislike the 1/60's. I do still like my 1/60's, I just admit that the 1/48 is better.

I think your post has almost pushed me over the edge. I've been dicing about whether or not I really need a 1/48 VF-1; after all, I've got a perfectly serviceable money pit already with my growing 1/60 collection.

I've been rationalizing that I've picked up 6 1/60s for the equivalant dollars of 2 1/48s, and I need another valk addiction like another couple of holes in my head :lol: Maybe I'll just continue to pick up MIB 1/60s cheap from those disillusioned from them by the advent of the 1/48s?

However, it's good (read: refreshing) to hear some praise for the 1/48 from someone unbiased enough to admit that they still like their 1/60s :D Makes me want the 1/48 1-J pretty bad :)

Or, maybe, I'll wait for a 1/48 CF type before I take the plunge... Decisions, decisions...

Hiriyu... I thought like you.. why buy a 1/48 when I can get a handfull of 1/60s for the same money... but I broke down and bought the hikaru 1/48 VF-1a when it first came out... and now I think, why should I get a 1/60 when that money can be saved for another 1/48..!

I still like my 1/60... I only have now, the first one I got. I keep it for sentimental reasons only.

Hiriyu... I thought like you.. why buy a 1/48 when I can get a handfull of 1/60s for the same money... but I broke down and bought the hikaru 1/48 VF-1a when it first came out... and now I think, why should I get a 1/60 when that money can be saved for another 1/48..!

I still like my 1/60... I only have now, the first one I got. I keep it for sentimental reasons only.

Ill second that...you wont be sorry.

i admit the 1/48 valk is awsome, (i have mine in many many pieces. cause i am customizing it. i post some pics when i am done. ) but i really like the 1/60 valks(even though it took me an hour to figure out how to get the stupid canopy off...i thought there was a button under the nose...anyways i really like the size and they don't cost as much. i own 3 now and i haven't paid more than 30 bucks for one yet. :D anyways, capt. kraimer out.

B))

I definitely like to consider myself unbiased. I even like the Toynami MPC's, which is almost a sin to admit on these boards. No matter what anyone says, and no matter how cool the 1/48 is, I cannot see myself abandoning my other valks. I still plan to complete my 1/60 collection (only the VT-1 and VE-1 left). It just makes more sense, to me anyways, to have a complete 1/60 collection and only get a couple of 1/48's as centerpieces. For me at least, the 1/48 is just too expensive to buy them all, but I definitely envy those of you who can & do.

I don't really get why it's a biased opinion when you don't like the MPC or even the 1/60s. Wouldn't it be pretty objective if you bought each of these products and based on handling and playing with them you form an honest opinion?

On that note, the MPC is a piece of crap and can only be admired because of the source material is so good. Even the $5 dollar bootlegs and toynami's cheap super deformed have that appeal if you give it enough chances.

And while the 1/60s are worth every penny as a solid toy, it's still an awkward piece next to the 1/48. But at least you get what you pay for.

I am new to collecting the valks and have only 1 Yamato 1:60; and is tempting to get a Toynami 1:55. However, some post in the forum suggested that Toynami 1:55 is really bad. Can u guys give me some opinions?

They are not bad per se. I like the two I have (Rick and Roy). But, I do have to admit that they are my least favorite of all the available lines. This is how I rate them (just my own personal opinion):

1. Yamato 1/48 (hands down, there really is nothing else even close)

2. Yamato 1/60 (still gotta love the detail and articulation)

3. Bandai/Taka 1/55 (nostalgia)

4. Toynami 1/55 (nice gerwalk mode and nice packaging)

I never asked this before, I was wondering if the 1/48 plastic quality is it the same as 1/60 ?

I personally think it's a much better plastic. Feels less "toyish" if that makes sense. But since the 1/48 is almost totally plastic (with the landing gear and swing bar being the only die-cast) it is REALLY light. Feels more like a model kit than a toy.

The stickers for the 1/48 are a bit odd to me...I took out the ones for the radar and cockpit and noticed they had excess...stuff (for lack of better word). I put the radar one on, and though it was centered well, some still hung over...same with the cockpit. >_< It's confusing.

Also, the hand that came with it for holding the gunpod seems to be a little fat or long in the peg department. Doesn't fit in too well. I think I may have to cut some of its length down.

And it's a pain to transform, parts want to go somewhere else when I do something with something else. The backpack doesn't stay flush with the back in battroid mode, when I use the little hook thing it pulls the hatch with it. And the side panel things don't come anywhere near to connecting to the front.

Even with these faults...it is the most beutiful thing I've ever seen. XD XD

/me tears

Edited by mbs357

The stickers for the 1/48 are a bit odd to me...I took out the ones for the radar and cockpit and noticed they had excess...stuff (for lack of better word). I put the radar one on, and though it was centered well, some still hung over...same with the cockpit. >_< It's confusing.

Also, the hand that came with it for holding the gunpod seems to be a little fat or long in the peg department. Doesn't fit in too well. I think I may have to cut some of its length down.

And it's a pain to transform, parts want to go somewhere else when I do something with something else. The backpack doesn't stay flush with the back in battroid mode, when I use the little hook thing it pulls the hatch with it. And the side panel things don't come anywhere near to connecting to the front.

Even with these faults...it is the most beutiful thing I've ever seen. XD XD

/me tears

Yes, I think it's pretty popular opinion that the Yamato stickers leave alot to be desired. I do not plan to put them on my Hikaru 1S, I will buy some of the stickers that Takatoys makes. This serves two purposes, first I get better stickers and a better looking valk, and secondly I get to keep my valk MIB w/unapplied stickers :D.

My first 1/48 (Hikaru VF-1S) should be on it's way soon from Kevin (ship it out soon kev, I can't wait!!) and I'm excited to finally get to handle one for myself. With any luck, I'll start hunting down fastpacks for my birthday

You're gonna love it. The only problem I have with mine is that I can't decide on a single pose to leave it in, so I am constantly transforming it and changing the pose and I'm worried that I'll somehow wear it out. This is the most I've ever "played" with any of my toys. The thing just begs to be transformed. One thing though, you're definitely gonna want those FAST packs. The Hikaru 1S just looks wrong without them somehow. I'm still waiting on mine, but I do have them ordered, so it won't be long.

yeah, that's what I was thinking.... The VF-1S Hikaru is just Aesthetically WRONG without fastpacks... but alas, I can only spend so much at a time and I do have other things to pay for (this badboy set me back probably until mid january at the soonest!), Maybe soon though!

Ahem...the 1/72 scale people. :lol:

True, there has to be some love there (they're the only ones!)... but since the Yamato 1/72 line consisted of only MacPlus valks, it's kinda in a different category. The 1/72 HCMs were really something else for their time, but the 1/60 line seriously outshined them. Those that bought into the 1/55 MPC lineup got to see just how bad a blown up version of the HCM is compared to the 1/60. In terms of detail and OVERALL posability, the Yamato ate the toynami for breakfast... at least, in my opinion.