(Un)Official LOTR / ROTK thread

Ive got the perfect spoliers...

READ THE FRAGGING NOVELS!

I wanted to barf when the cast said they had to be tight lipped to not giveaway the plot. Give me a break. Even Sir Ian McKellan said "Just read the book!".

Now that Ive had my little rant...

Im mildly awaiting this movie. I think that PJ may have overdone things...especially with his estimate of Sauron unleashing a 1/4 of a million soldiers against Minas Tirith. More like 35,000 - 50,000. I will be completely annoyed if the rumours are true that Sauron and Aragorn face off in personal combat before the Morannon.

I often think I'm the only one who's read the books, but like the movies even better. See, I've read the whole thing like 3 times. When I was about 12, 16, and 20. Not 550 times, every week for the past 20 years and run www.lotrtotallyrules.com. So I know it, but I haven't memorized it. I don't notice minor deviations in the story (or heck, even pretty major ones). And I honestly think LOTR the movie is better. A lot of the "junk" that simply wasn't that good/boring was cut out (especially the first book) and the good parts (Moria etc) were expanded.

Edited by David Hingtgen

You are not the only one. I read the books 3 times each in the past 2 years.... and I still like the movies better. And the actors are really a perfect match for the characters. :)

Though.... I think the book Fellowship of the Ring was better then the movie.

Edited by Abombz!!

oh I'm definitely with you on that one, I've read the books, and I think the movies are better. I mean, I'm sure people will come up and talk about the depth of the world or the characterization, but in all honesty, I find the movie characters more interesting, and the movie (slow as they are) move faster. Both good, but loved the movies.

Well just so the fanboys can get clean pantys before they get it in a bunch... It looks like PJ just might do The Hobbit. That's if he's still interested in Tolkien after King Kong... (OK there's one I don't get... why remake King Kong? Not because the original was holy, but there was already a remake.)

I think they should do a made for TV movie with WETA Ltd. effects and the people that came out in the movies. Or maybe a made for cable movie. They could get one of the second hand unit directors to direct it. No need to wait for Peter Jackson.

Ive got the perfect spoliers...

READ THE FRAGGING NOVELS!

I wanted to barf when the cast said they had to be tight lipped to not giveaway the plot. Give me a break. Even Sir Ian McKellan said "Just read the book!".

Now that Ive had my little rant...

Im mildly awaiting this movie. I think that PJ may have overdone things...especially with his estimate of Sauron unleashing a 1/4 of a million soldiers against Minas Tirith. More like 35,000 - 50,000. I will be completely annoyed if the rumours are true that Sauron and Aragorn face off in personal combat before the Morannon.

Most of the Pelennor pics I've seen dont' have 1/4 of a million troops in them, maybe he was reffering to the Battle of the Morannon - had 7,000 Good against "forces ten times, and more than ten time's their match" Right there that's 70,000 so it's possible to have 1/4 of a milllion. And they've put the "Aragorn battling Sauron" rumor to rest long ago - even in the game you only fight the Mouth of Sauron (who isn't in the theatrical :( ) And most of the early reviews (from people who read the books) have said they got the climactic battles entirely right....so I'm MORE than midly awaiting this movie :D

I enjoy the movies mostly for the visiuals. Plot and characterization-wise (especially, the latter as the film drastically changes personalities and motivations of several characters), the novel is far better. Of the two, the first film favors the most compared to the book, but only because the first part of the book is the weakest of the three. I've heard the extended edition of Two Towers fixes a lot, but I haven't seen it yet, myself.

I really hate watching those 'behind the scenes' or 'making of' programs before I actually watch the movie. They always show the best action scenes and spoil the movie for me.

Graham

Can you actually see PrimeTime in Hong Kong? I didn't know they have ABC network there. The show was cool though. I'm really looking forward to the movie.

This has been bugging me. In the movies we see 2 wizards, Sauraman and Gandalf. In the book, we were told there are several wizards, each with their own color and all were charged with safeguarding Middle Earth from evil. We saw that Sauraman tricked the brown wizard in the book, but what happened to other wizards? How come Gandalf seems to be the only one that fought against Sauron?

Well, about the ultimate Tolkien site is: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm

Everything, every book.

As I recall, there's multiple blue wizards originally (as in, like 4,000 years ago), but I get the feeling that in the time of LOTR, most wizards aren't around anymore. Either dead, gone somewhere else, or simply don't care about mortal's problems, etc. There is no account for most wizards. Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast are about the only ones we know much about.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/i/istari.html

It notes only two blue wizards and they specifically point out that Wizard was the title of the 5 who came to Middle Earth in the first century of the third age to help fight the forces of Sauron. Most likely the wizards are no longer there because they were too obscure to hold their places among the major characters within the movie. Tom Bombadil isn't in the movie either, and there seems to be quite a stir regarding his character.

Edited by imode