HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

Yeah but feature might not be what they are going for. I get the feeling in my gut it will play out in a similar way to the original LLA, and be a collection of musice videos. Some of which are new animation, and others that are clips from the remastered series or SC.

But even then, there's very little to work with. If people are to be believed, then Michael Bradley isn't working with HG anymore, and there aren't enough Yellow songs from the show to fill even half an hour.

Well...he attacked RenegadeLeader's post, not yours, so why do you think he's here for you?

Incidentally, I wonder if Love Live Alive would be better received if they'd just bothered to change the title...

It totally would have been better received with a title change as all we'd have to go on about the project would be the clips people smuggled onto the internet. The "loyal" fans wouldn't even be thinking they'd be recycling an old OVA despite us "unloyal" fans saying it's impossible for HG to make a "full length" feature (whatever that means) without using old footage. Using an existing title just makes most fans think this is a half-assed production lacking any originality.

It totally would have been better received with a title change as all we'd have to go on about the project would be the clips people smuggled onto the internet. The "loyal" fans wouldn't even be thinking they'd be recycling an old OVA despite us "unloyal" fans saying it's impossible for HG to make a "full length" feature (whatever that means) without using old footage. Using an existing title just makes most fans think this is a half-assed production lacking any originality.

HG is constrained by the fact they DON'T invest on the franchise. The reason for this, who knows. Thats why they are always recycling old animation, they don't want to pay the hard price to produce not a tv series, but not even an OAV series that would give closure to the tv series. There is no interest in this, so they go limping along presenting one powerpoint slide each year at some convention. Rinse, repeat until they manage to put something out. You need to pay to get quality writers, you need to pay to get a good animation studio, you need to pay to promote the franchise etc... You need money, and money is what HG doesn't want to spend. So of course robotech fans get half assed projects.

This all boils down to the fact that HG is not and never was a production company. They acquire and relicense animes. Thats all. In the eighties they got momentarily luck with Robotech. But that was just an exception, the nature of the company never changed in 30 years. So why people are excepting to see a radical change now baffles the mind.

I think you're expecting too much from a company that essentially cheated its way to creating a franchise in the first place.

Oh no. I'm a 100% realist. So much so that I know that nothing can come out of HG at least not any worthwhile anime product.

Now had they managed the novels differently or the RPG in a good way they could have done better. Put out new litterary products to enhance the robotech universe. Of course it would have been better had they not backstabbed the original creators willingly. At this point in time who knows, maybe they would have had the authorization to use Macross characters and mecha in derived products and animation. And Macross and Robotech would have had each a different market in the west. HG's greed and unfriendly business practices have condemned them to say bye bye to the part of the Robotech saga that almost all fans like. And all they have left to promote is the least likeable part of the Robotech saga.

Actually no it isn't. Robotech the anime took somelse's work and re-edited it according to a new script. The novels took the ideas in the script and improved massively upon it.

So it's still pretty much the same because the script is based on the original Japanese dialog (with more Carl Macek approved smarmy quips and people talking slowly) and then they added generic sci-fi stuff you can find in dozens of other books.

No one cares about expanded universe books. They're cheap to make and only fans buy them. Same with table top RPGs. All they do is given people fanfic fodder and turn them into pedantic idiots.

Even if you want to make the connection that protoculture is analogous to spice, its wrong. Because the first has a metaphysical dimension and capacity of shaping historical events. Spice by itself doesn't. So the 2 basic concepts of Robotech the Novel and Dune are not the same. Similar in some respects but not the same by a long shot.

So it's the Force from Star Wars. Great.

PS are you 1st Border Red Devil in disguise or just some other Palladium refugee?

Edited by VF5SS

So it's still pretty much the same because the script is based on the original Japanese dialog (with more Carl Macek approved smarmy quips and people talking slowly) and then they added generic sci-fi stuff you can find in dozens of other books.

No, its not the same script by a long shot. If you stop thinking of the characters in the novels as being transposed from the anime you'll enjoy it much more. The error is looking at the novels as some kind of anime adapted for the printed page. And maybe those are the roots, but as I said McKinney improved massively over what was concocted for the anime. So much so that the novels are robotech only in name if you want to push the argument to its limit.

No one cares about expanded universe books. They're cheap to make and only fans buy them. Same with table top RPGs. All they do is given people fanfic fodder and turn them into pedantic idiots.

Says who ? The comics at HG say that. For their own purpose of course. Failing to see that of all the robotech products available in the last 30 years the novels are the only ones that give a complete, coherent universe upon which to build. Build new animation, or other adventures etc... The comics, the rpgs even are not even in the same league as the novels.

So it's the Force from Star Wars. Great.

Damn I must have missed the fact that the Force shapes historical events. Not one of the 6 movies states something like that.

PS are you 1st Border Red Devil in disguise or just some other Palladium refugee?

No, I never registered on the palladium forum.

I'm not some other user under a new name, and I'm not a refugee from some other macross/robotech forum out if thats what you're thinking.

Edited by Cobra__

No, its not the same script by a long shot. If you stop thinking of the characters in the novels as being transposed from the anime you'll enjoy it much more. The error is looking at the novels as some kind of anime adapted for the printed page. And maybe those are the roots, but as I said McKinney improved massively over what was concocted for the anime. So much so that the novels are robotech only in name if you want to push the argument to its limit.

If you say so.

Says who ? The comics at HG say that. For their own purpose of course. Failing to see that of all the robotech products available in the last 30 years the novels are the only ones that give a complete, coherent universe upon which to build. Build new animation, or other adventures etc... The comics, the rpgs even are not even in the same league as the novels.

It's all the same fanfiction expanded universe crap that Star Wars does. Just because you like it doesn't mean it's this untapped marketable epic multi-generational saga.

Damn I must have missed the fact that the Force shapes historical events. Not one of the 6 movies states something like that.

Well I don't know. I think the CHOSEN ONE who became an asthmatic cyborg who killed a lot of people and helped some wizard build a planet destroying planet which is then destroyed by the cyborg's son who is using the Force to do so might be kind of historic.

An historic event.

If you say so.

I do say so.

It's all the same fanfiction expanded universe crap that Star Wars does. Just because you like it doesn't mean it's this untapped marketable epic multi-generational saga.

Who is talking about fanfiction ? All I'm saying is that the novels offer a better environment to expand the story than the anime. Thats all.

HG should have taken as canon the novels and not the anime. The retconing has done more damage to the franchise than siimply discarding the anime as canon and taken the novels as the new canon. HG would have had an already coherent universe into which to expand the franchise instead of destroying bit and pieces of the anime to retcon some situation that never was relevant in the first place.

Well I don't know. I think the CHOSEN ONE who became an asthmatic cyborg who killed a lot of people and helped some wizard build a planet destroying planet which is then destroyed by the cyborg's son who is using the Force to do so might be kind of historic.

An historic event.

Who ever said thar Star Wars needed to make sense ? Idiots are everywhere.

Edited by Cobra__

HG is constrained by the fact they DON'T invest on the franchise.

Let's face it; HG does not have any power over their "own (so called) franchise"... that's why they can't invest in it.

The reason for this, who knows. Thats why they are always recycling old animation, they don't want to pay the hard price to produce not a tv series, but not even an OAV series that would give closure to the tv series. There is no interest in this, so they go limping along presenting one powerpoint slide each year at some convention. Rinse, repeat until they manage to put something out.

sad but true... :wacko:

You need to pay to get quality writers, you need to pay to get a good animation studio, you need to pay to promote the franchise etc... You need money, and money is what HG doesn't want to spend. So of course robotech fans get half assed projects.

The problem is when you launch a product based on plagiarism, most likely you will continue with the same pattern.... :angry:

This all boils down to the fact that HG is not and never was a production company. They acquire and relicense animes. Thats all. In the eighties they got momentarily luck with Robotech. But that was just an exception, the nature of the company never changed in 30 years. So why people are excepting to see a radical change now baffles the mind.

-_- DItto!

Edited by WDKaiserV1

Who ever said thar Star Wars needed to make sense ?

Well you used the phrase "shape historic events" right? So using the Force does exactly that. Even if you just take the original trilogy, it's part of shaping the world.

Idiots are everywhere.

They may be among us right now.

I think they just find us. Must be all this gorgeous delicious Macross we're all enjoying.

30 years strong ( 'w') b

Well considering I'm a Macross Fan (even though I hate Macross 7 and Macross Frontier) finding this Macross forum wasn't fortuituous.

Of course having a thread where to speak about HG and its idiot policies is just the cherry on the cake. ^_^

Well considering I'm a Macross Fan (even though I hate Macross 7 and Macross Frontier) finding this Macross forum wasn't fortuituous.

Of course having a thread where to speak about HG and its idiot policies is just the cherry on the cake. ^_^

It strikes me funny but I cant see how a Macross fan would hate Macross 7 and Frontier, the only two non-Hg authorized series? It's 7 and Frontier that RT/Hg have difficulty to live upto, contributing to their consistant failures in their attempts to measure up. Hg cannot compete with these two portions of the Macross franchise on any level. Also for myself personally, it wasnt Lovers Again, or Plus that encouraged me to go full Macross, away from Robo-tech.

Blackconvoy, that's kind of the beauty of being a Macross fan. You don't have to like every iteration of Macross to be a fan as long as you accept them for what they are. This unlike Robotech where you're banned from the site and shunned from the fanbase for not like liking SC or, heaven forbid HG. I'm sure this practice will continue when people complain about LLA after release.

Blackconvoy, that's kind of the beauty of being a Macross fan. You don't have to like every iteration of Macross to be a fan as long as you accept them for what they are. This unlike Robotech where you're banned from the site and shunned from the fanbase for not like liking SC or, heaven forbid HG. I'm sure this practice will continue when people complain about LLA after release.

THIS.

And I think Blackconvoy is forgetting about Macross Zero, as well...

It strikes me funny but I cant see how a Macross fan would hate Macross 7 and Frontier, the only two non-Hg authorized series? It's 7 and Frontier that RT/Hg have difficulty to live upto, contributing to their consistant failures in their attempts to measure up. Hg cannot compete with these two portions of the Macross franchise on any level. Also for myself personally, it wasnt Lovers Again, or Plus that encouraged me to go full Macross, away from Robo-tech.

Oh yeah, I forget how HG gave the go sign to develop Macross II Lovers Again and Macross Plus. Silly me. :rolleyes:

I'm also a Gundam fan. Does that mean I like every Gundam series, OAVs and films ever produced ? Not a chance in hell. There are some iterations of Gundam I adore, and many others I loathe (either because of its stupid story, or characters etc...).

You see my dear friend, Gundam and Macross are extensive franchises. Robotech not so much. In fact as I said before I'm a fan of the Robotech novels but not of the anime version. Hows that for a change ? :D

Ps : Robotech & Shadow Chronicles can't even compete animation wise with 1984 DYRL let alone Macross Plus and Macross II Lovers Again.

Of course it is left light years behind by Macross 7 and Macross Frontier. They are just not in the same league enymore.

Appreciated, but I never said that anyone HAD to like anything. I just found it surprising that a Macross fan wouldnt like either of the two series mentioned, as they're some of the more richer (product, storyline, episode longevity, depth, etc) portions of the Macross franchise, aside from the original SDF Macross.

As for my ban from R-T.com, f*** 'em. I dont and would never appreciate any rep from a franchise talking s**t to me or any other fan the way McKeever, or any of their lackies did/ do, when asked the tough questions. When I was heavily engaged in the TF community, I wouldnt take it then, I wont take it now, or in any other part of my life, no one should talk down towards another person. Especially when I blow cash on their product with the Robotech logo on it, and or any other. As a customer of Hg products and services at the time, it was my right to engage and ask what I wanted and give my opinion.

And I agree, LLA will crash and burn. If the original wasnt upto par, the Hg reprise will be as well a failure.

THIS.

And I think Blackconvoy is forgetting about Macross Zero, as well...

How could I forget Zero, or Macross the First, LOL!

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

Oh yeah, I forget how HG gave the go sign to develop Macross II Lovers Again and Macross Plus. Silly me. :rolleyes:

I'm also a Gundam fan. Does that mean I like every Gundam series, OAVs and films ever produced ? Not a chance in hell. There are some iterations of Gundam I adore, and many others I loathe (either because of its stupid story, or characters etc...).

You see my dear friend, Gundam and Macross are extensive franchises. Robotech not so much. In fact as I said before I'm a fan of the Robotech novels but not of the anime version. Hows that for a change ? :D

Ps : Robotech & Shadow Chronicles can't even compete animation wise with 1984 DYRL let alone Macross Plus and Macross II Lovers Again.

Of course it is left light years behind by Macross 7 and Macross Frontier. They are just not in the same league enymore.

I hear you, Personally I cant sit through any Gundam series except for Wing, 08th, and OO. But with Gundam, as fans, we have access to any Gundam series we please, as Bandai doesnt hold back on the series at all, in contrast to the wall keeping 7 and Frontier. I wasnt trying to knock you, I just found it as a surprise, that all. No worries.

I hear you, Personally I cant sit through any Gundam series except for Wing, Seed, and OO. But with Gundam, as fans, we have access to any Gundam series we please, as Bandai doesnt hold back on the series at all, in contrast to the wall keeping 7 and Frontier. I wasnt trying to knock you, I just found it as a surprise, that all. No worries.

I can't sit through any Gundam series except Gundam 0079, 0083, F91, The 08th MS Team, Turn A Gundam, Char's Counterattack and Gundam Unicorn. Can you see I'm a UC fan ? :D

I can't sit through any Gundam series except Gundam 0079, 0083, F91, The 08th MS Team, Turn A Gundam, Char's Counterattack and Gundam Unicorn. Can you see I'm a UC fan ? :D

LOL, Nice one! I still havent sat down to give Unicorn a go.

Blackconvoy, you MUST watch Gundam UC and experience it's greatness. Back to Robotech though, it looks like Memo has put up the video from AOD in SF though I haven't watched it yet. He also clarified his comment about LLA being completed this year and then SR starting production immediately after. Looks like that comment was supposedly made by Tommy at an after party and NOT during the panel. If it wasn't said at the panel it can't be true. I'm actually surprised Memo didn't just lie and say Tommy made this comment during the panel but the camera was off.

Blackconvoy, you MUST watch Gundam UC and experience it's greatness. Back to Robotech though, it looks like Memo has put up the video from AOD in SF though I haven't watched it yet. He also clarified his comment about LLA being completed this year and then SR starting production immediately after. Looks like that comment was supposedly made by Tommy at an after party and NOT during the panel. If it wasn't said at the panel it can't be true. I'm actually surprised Memo didn't just lie and say Tommy made this comment during the panel but the camera was off.

:rolleyes: what exactly was said AT THE PANEL ?

Sometimes looking at Robotech conventions information thats leeked seems like "the cousin of my cousin of my cousin told me that that man's cousin told him that...."

Hard facts, we want hard facts. How difficult can it be ? -_-

:rolleyes: what exactly was said AT THE PANEL ?

Sometimes looking at Robotech conventions information thats leeked seems like "the cousin of my cousin of my cousin told me that that man's cousin told him that...."

Hard facts, we want hard facts. How difficult can it be ? -_-

Same crap as before. LAM in development with same people = nothing going on. 20th Anniversary Soundtrack SOLDOUT - better be since it's about 7 years old or so. More role playing books - and we all know how fast those come out. New ep single - since the super delayed 25th Anniversay Soundtrack looks like it will never be released since they're still "finding" more music. Showed some battlepod toys. Still working on LLA even though it was originally supposed to be done last summer - who knew a few more minutes of animation would take so long? And to keep questions to a minimum, though Memo stated there was no time for any, let's watch Carl's Documentary! That's about it.

Same crap as before. LAM in development with same people = nothing going on. 20th Anniversary Soundtrack SOLDOUT - better be since it's about 7 years old or so. More role playing books - and we all know how fast those come out. New ep single - since the super delayed 25th Anniversay Soundtrack looks like it will never be released since they're still "finding" more music. Showed some battlepod toys. Still working on LLA even though it was originally supposed to be done last summer - who knew a few more minutes of animation would take so long? And to keep questions to a minimum, though Memo stated there was no time for any, let's watch Carl's Documentary! That's about it.

in a nutshell that about it... I want to be all hype for this new proyect, but I just can't, I mean LLA? for real? At the very least give us all new retro-animation, make it all new, like Shadow Chronicles, but this is Robotech Untold Story 2012