Here's a question: Is the Raider CS-35 worth getting, especially since the Alpha Trooper CS-18 does the exact same thing in a smaller package and at a lower price?

Depends on your preferences. The Alpha Trooper isn't actually a smaller package; the stock on the CS-35 is removable and they end up being roughly the same length. I ended up ebay'ing a CS-35 stock to go with my Alpha Trooper, to provide rigidity (and hence accuracy). I might go get a 35-rd drum...

One key difference is the 35-round drum. which bulks things out tremendously, but can be of use. The other key difference is the form factor. Alpha Trooper's slamfire handle is more logical to me but a tad smaller; CS-35's handle makes it perhaps more ergonomical but sticks out more. Swap out the stock and the drum, and you get similar dimensions (swap the 35rd drum out for a 18rd straight and you get a sten gun with probably more reliability... :) )

Depends on your preferences. The Alpha Trooper isn't actually a smaller package; the stock on the CS-35 is removable and they end up being roughly the same length. I ended up ebay'ing a CS-35 stock to go with my Alpha Trooper, to provide rigidity (and hence accuracy). I might go get a 35-rd drum...

One key difference is the 35-round drum. which bulks things out tremendously, but can be of use. The other key difference is the form factor. Alpha Trooper's slamfire handle is more logical to me but a tad smaller; CS-35's handle makes it perhaps more ergonomical but sticks out more. Swap out the stock and the drum, and you get similar dimensions (swap the 35rd drum out for a 18rd straight and you get a sten gun with probably more reliability... :) )

On the subject of stocks, you mention that the one that comes with the Raider enhances accuracy, but what about the one that comes with the Recon?

On the subject of stocks, you mention that the one that comes with the Raider enhances accuracy, but what about the one that comes with the Recon?

P!ss poor. Ok, that's a bit harsh... The Raider's stock has sufficient structure to take load; you can lean into the stock with some confidence. The Recon stock is just too flimsy, the struts are plastic and won't take abuse very much. It does help in stability, but it doesn't substitute for a solid stock.

P!ss poor. Ok, that's a bit harsh... The Raider's stock has sufficient structure to take load; you can lean into the stock with some confidence. The Recon stock is just too flimsy, the struts are plastic and won't take abuse very much. It does help in stability, but it doesn't substitute for a solid stock.

Ah, good point. It seems that the Recon stock is only good for holding an extra CS magazine and just matching every other yellow blaster. And the Spectre stock is probably worse with its folding mechanism.

Ah, good point. It seems that the Recon stock is only good for holding an extra CS magazine and just matching every other yellow blaster. And the Spectre stock is probably worse with its folding mechanism.

Can't speak for the Spectre, as I don't own one. At least for the Spectre, it folds away; the Recon stock just stays in the way. Holding an extra 6-clip is nice but with the introduction of 18-straight and 18-rd, it becomes quite not-useful; it's more useful to use the extended mags, but if you need more than 18 or 36 rds in a game (especially on a pump-action single shot gun), you're likely to be overloaded and not effective anyway.

Can't speak for the Spectre, as I don't own one. At least for the Spectre, it folds away; the Recon stock just stays in the way. Holding an extra 6-clip is nice but with the introduction of 18-straight and 18-rd, it becomes quite not-useful; it's more useful to use the extended mags, but if you need more than 18 or 36 rds in a game (especially on a pump-action single shot gun), you're likely to be overloaded and not effective anyway.

My niece owns a Spectre. Come to think of it, after trying both Recon and Spectre stocks on my Barricade a few weeks back, I noticed that the Spectre one is more wobbly. Shouldn't matter to me, as I'll be using my Barricades just for straightforward attacks. I'll have the Recon on the side, just in case.

Also, I watched a recent video review of the Super Soaker Shot Blast, and it seems like its stock is as sturdy as the Raider's.

NEWS FLASH: Hasbro has the newest Dart Tag blasters on their website. And they look pretty sweet!

You know, that pistol is the first gun I've seen that actually looks good in yellow. Maybe it's the whole sci-fi vibe the thing has. I think the SMG looking one would be better if the magazine curved the other way (more AK-47-ish). They're pretty reasonably priced, so my have to get one or both (hurray for income tax returns).

I think the SMG looking one would be better if the magazine curved the other way (more AK-47-ish). They're pretty reasonably priced, so my have to get one or both (hurray for income tax returns).

I was thinking the same thing, but then I realized the magazine is curved that way because of the darts themselves. It's also a huge blaster, as it looks bigger than the Alpha Trooper in this video.

Here's the Speedload 6 in action.

There's also a third Dart Tag blaster called the Swarmfire, which runs on six C batteries and fires 20 darts.

Dart Tag Swarmfire

Edited by areaseven

Uh that's not.. encouraging. The bigger SMG type is nice looking, as the forward pump action means greater convenience, and the back of the gun looks to be compatible with existing stocks making it good, but curved integral clip makes it less likely to be compatible with the slim clip-system darts. In addition the loading mechanism looks quite bulky. Not so but on the SMG but on the pistol it looks huge.

The pistol looks to be a recloned Recon, mated with that huge integral clip, minus the stock compatibility, but retaining the not-good pump action. I don't quite see the point of this since a Recon is better in some aspect. (And the Alpha Trooper would be better over both..)

I think I'll keep my Recon and Raider instead of the internal clip gun. The Swarmfire is a sweet looking gun though, love the design. It looks like it was pulled out of the Nerf game for the Wii.

post-806-129600618155_thumb.jpg

Hmm. Given the inherent safety concerns Hasbro will have, what I really hope for in a Nerf gun is a single-handed, clip-fed, direct plunger, full auto Nerf gun, which should have speeds that are not... anemic.

It shouldn't be too far off, since the Barricade is very close to that. But I inherently dislike the flywheel design, and it's noisy to boot. Problem with full auto is that the motor and required batteries are quite heavy, so single-handed shooters might be a while off.

Cute idea -- multi-clip capability, to take advantage of all those 6-clips we have lying around. Multiple mag wells, but single chamber; but that'll be quite bulky.

I personally want a long-range bolt action, but that's fairly dangerous for Hasbro to build. So for now I'll have to be content with modding a Long Strike.

I still have all my classic Super Soakers, from the '50 on up. I think I tried using one of them a little while ago but it couldn't hold pressure anymore-I can only assume the others have met the same fate. Do you guys think I could refurb these old guns? I'm sure it's just rotted out seals...

-Dood! I just went on ebay to try and see how much my CPS 2000 might be worth-some lunatic on there is selling one for $350, lol.

Could they be worth that much? Not that I'd sell, mind you...

Edited by myk

The mechanical design of the reverse plunger and spring combination takes a lot of power to work the action. It's not only the voltage, but how much power the battery can kick out at one go. You can connect a 12V battery to the circuitry and it can do absolutely nothing -- I've done it myself. The power consumption is actually quite heavy. You can build a battery that can do the job but it can double the cost of the gun. Moreover, to get that kind of performance, you probably go with Li-poly batteries, which has a fire risk -- you are selling these to kids and teens, you don't really want to be liable for burning down their houses.

You can totally redesign the action to be able to act less mechanically (i.e., instead of a plunger just use a compressor), but that makes it less safe (as modders can easily "improve" the performance to hazardous levels). Also, doing so increases the strain on existing components, so you need to redesign them, and retool to build them.

Overall, at least in the case of the Stampede, the design compromises made is a good balance between safety, cost to consumer, cost of production, and ease of supply. It's not the most "tech" foam gun out there, but it's a decent one.

And yes, speaking from experience. I've modded my Stampede to run off rechargables, up to 12V. Once you get into it, you start to realise that the design decisions made for these guns were sensible and logical. Modders have the knowledge and luxury to keep prototypes in service, but mass production requires a different mindset.

EDIT: Oh, just a quick note... I've did a scan for RC batteries while doing the upgrade, I think a lot of RC cars don't run off 12V. More typical is 7.4V, way under the 9V used in Nerf guns. It's quite hard to find a cheap source for 12V RC batteries that does the job, from my experience... of course, I'm not an RCer, so maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by Lynx7725

Quick question: While looking around at a small toy store, I found some rather rare gems:

I've been thinking of getting a Super Soaker blaster for summer, so should I bother with these "antiques", or just get the current Nerf ones instead?

The Monster XL is, from all I've heard, incredibly rare. It's also incredibly powerful; it can completely drench someone. Get it.

Edited by jwasko

Nerf modder psyk from Singapore got his hands on a retail Quick 16 in advance. Here's a closer look:

And here's a look at the internals of the blaster. Apparently, it's more frustrating to open up than other blasters, probably to discourage people from modifying it.

Edited by areaseven

img2317o.th.jpg img2318wl.th.jpg

My brother's Longstrike. It's an awesome Nerf gun, but the biggest gripe both my brother and I have against this gun is that the stock is permanently attached once you put it together. It doesn't make sense that they would design it that way.

Oh yeah, unfortunately for me, my brother decided to attach a "bayonet" to the barrel... Now not only I have to dodge darts, I have to avoid getting prodded D: .

img2318wl.th.jpg

Oh yeah, unfortunately for me, my brother decided to attach a "bayonet" to the barrel... Now not only I have to dodge darts, I have to avoid getting prodded D: .

On top of a 4ft long gun? Eh, I think you won't have much trouble avoiding it. :)

Looked at the unboxing. Hmm. Don't think the Quick-16 is a "must have". Have to see if that loading mechanism is going to scoop dust into the fixed clip -- you can't clear or change it, so it's kind of bad there. And still not sure if the streamlines can go in.

Ah nerf. I am the Otakon's Nerf Doctor.

While there is an entire world of serious modifications and facrications of nerf weapons. I just mod mine a bit.

Nerf raider is hands down the best all around indoor nerf gun. I have even used it successfully outdoors against 100ft ranged air guns. The Raider has the potential to be more powerful than any of the reverse plunger designs such as the Alphatrooper and Lonstrike.

I used a spring from a discontinued gun. Im getting about 40-50 feet flat with my raider. If I angle I get more range. The strength with the raider is the 35 rd drum mag. with the increased range and rapid fire than say the alpha trooper, I can rush while barraging my enemy with more darts. Most high powered weapons are slow in reloading. The raider may not have quite the long reach but it can rain a constant stream of darts and still have plenty left over. Plus I have a dump pouch with two more drums waiting to be reloaded into the raider.

I have recently replaced my longstrike internals with the guts of the Buzzbee Missile Blast. Now it is a sniper rifle and getting 60-70 feet.

Here are a few pics of my Nerf.

My Red Recon with all factory accessories

nerfm4.jpg

Shotgun pumped Longshot, using all factory parts (save the huge threaded rod for the priming bar)

dsc3513.jpg

My Fire-Titan. (Titan internals inside Firefly shell)

dsc3517l.jpg

My second Longshot aka Aliens Pulse Rifle.

dsc3521a.jpg

Here are my tactical Nerf

Raider and M4 Recon.

nerfweaponlights.jpg

Oh yeah i found this recently at TRU. It is a NV scope that can by mounted to a Nerf gun. The mount is not quite a tight fit for Nerf so I used gaffer tape the widen the rails and make the scope fit more snugly.

dsc0753n.jpg

Edited by Solscud007

Raider and M4 Recon.

nerfweaponlights.jpg

Please tell me the Eotech and MBUS on that thing are real. Nothing would make my day quite like knowing that you've got $600~$700 worth of tacticool accessories on your $40 Nerf gun.

Actually, if the aimpoint and surefire are real that's like a grand right there... :wacko:

Please tell me the Eotech and MBUS on that thing are real. Nothing would make my day quite like knowing that you've got $600~$700 worth of tacticool accessories on your $40 Nerf gun.

Actually, if the aimpoint and surefire are real that's like a grand right there... :wacko:

The Eotech is real. off of my Kriss Super V (Real Steel) The MBUS are PTS aka airsoft versions. As well as the Aimpoint. From my airsoft guns.

Surefires are real. That is another $700 haha

Here are my tactical Nerf

Raider and M4 Recon.

nerfweaponlights.jpg

incredible! might be a fun alternative to airsoft which is completely banned in my country. I bet the cops and customs here would still bitch about even mildly realistic looking toy guns though. I don`t know anything about Nerf but I suspect that M4 is mostly customed. What base did you use for it and do you have an online resource for modding?

Edited by Peabody

incredible! might be a fun alternative to airsoft which is completely banned in my country. I bet the cops and customs here would still bitch about even mildly realistic looking toy guns though. I don`t know anything about Nerf but I suspect that M4 is mostly customed. What base did you use for it and do you have an online resource for modding?

Check out OZnerf. They have quite the source of nerf stuff and mods.

The M4 looking nerf is modded with airsoft parts. The Nerf gun is called the Recon.

Here is a modified Clear nerf Recon (mostly stock) with my clear mav-titan rocket launcher (it is titan guts in maverick shell) modified to mount like a M203 grenade launcher.

m4m203rocketnerf.jpg

Edited by Solscud007

Check out OZnerf. They have quite the source of nerf stuff and mods.

The M4 looking nerf is modded with airsoft parts. The Nerf gun is called the Recon.

Thankyou Solscud, I will and thankyou for the info, I just checked out the whole of this thread and felt a bit stupid asking these questions. Turns out there is a group in my area that plays regularly and my local K-mart has the Recon and the Raider in stock. Planning on taking the drum mag off the raider for the recon and removing air restrictors to get started. Is it possible to take the stock from the Raider and easily fit it to the Recon? The Recon stock looks really bad..

I just picked up a Longstrike and Longshot from the salvage store for $10. I have all the parts except the cross bar handle. Any ideas where I can find spare parts for those guns?

Ignore that last post, I found some suitable replacements at Home Depot. As it turns out, the holes for the cross bar fit exactly for a 3/16" threaded rod to thread into with minimal resistance. This way, I was able to make a priming handle that only protrudes from one side.

Also, I finished painting my first steam punk-esq nerf gun. I'm pretty happy with the result.

post-806-129704695518_thumb.jpg

post-806-129704696346_thumb.jpg

post-806-129704703642_thumb.jpg

You do realise that the mod does... not much, right? It looks cool, but Nerf barrels don't heat up and you're pulling power from the battery to rotate the front assembly -- he did slave it to the ammo feed mechanism, but it's heavier now too. Looks like he ramped the voltage up too, given the RoF. Net gain, faster RoF, but probably faster battery drain, and probably slightly heavier.

Cool.. but I think I would prefer to cut the Vulcan down so that it's easier to handle. Hmm, something to think about.