Disaster Down Under

kensei

Aaaaargh! You guys won't believe this! My wall clock fell down on my desk and knocked my 1/48 Hikaru off the table! He landed face first in Battroid mode and the heat shield is broken!

If I had a digital camera I'd show you. Describing the damage as best I can, only the two little tabs on the sides that hook the heat shield to the main body have both broken off. I can't find them anywhere, if I did I'd do a shifty superglue job on it, but i can't. Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix it? (it's a big ask i know) :unsure:

Oh wow, I feel your pain, man! I think short of getting a replacement from Yamato, or maybe a recast, it's going to be almost impossible to superglue the bits back AND hope they'll stay on. The clear plastic they chose for the heatshield is pretty brittle from several accounts. I keep hoping Yamato would wise up and use real color-molded ABS eventually. Afterall, they don't print the skulls behind, and quite a few releases won't even have skulls. But form the shots of the Low Vis, it's still the same deal...

Maybe another same-damage victim can share some tips on getting a replacement?

Yep. Maybe another same-damage victim can share some tips on getting a replacement.

I think a fellow MWer ordered an extra heatsheild from one of the favorite e-shops around.

Try browsing through the old forums for info.

You could also try going through HLJ.com for replacement pieces. I tried to order a replacement VF-1S Head for my Yammie, unfortunately they were unable to accomodate my request (Yamato decided to STOP reproducing the VF-1S head.........which is total BS because they're releasing Hikaru's VF-1S). I guess they didn't feel like going through ALL that trouble for one customer. <_

:unsure: Dang! Sorry to hear that man!

I experienced something similar when a large frame hanging above my table, fell, and toppled my stuff. My Voltron took a 5 foot dive, and I lost my yellow lion to the inevitable.

Since then, I've learned to keep expensive toys off of the table and in their boxes, or take off anything that may fall (clocks, frames, etc) off a wall next to your toys.

Good luck on a fix bud.

Drif, the material used on a toy is irrelevant on this issue. Any toy that falls a certain height, will almost always have something breaking off.

Edited by Omni Existence

Aaaaargh! You guys won't believe this! My wall clock fell down on my desk and knocked my 1/48 Hikaru off the table! He landed face first in Battroid mode and the heat shield is broken!

If I had a digital camera I'd show you. Describing the damage as best I can, only the two little tabs on the sides that hook the heat shield to the main body have both broken off. I can't find them anywhere, if I did I'd do a shifty superglue job on it, but i can't. Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix it? (it's a big ask i know) :unsure:

I know how that goes. I lost my 1/48's heat shield to a wrought iron DVD rack, though....

how about drilling tiny holes and insert small metals pins in it?

will it work?

Sorry but that won't work. Looking at the heatshield on my VF-1S, those little things are quite tiny. I think I might ask the guys down at my local hobby shop for a recast, and then just pop one of the extra skull decals on it.

I know how that goes. I lost my 1/48's heat shield to a wrought iron DVD rack, though....

Wow....that must have been pain...... :(

Sorry buddy...I feel your pain...I was working on my TV...stood up qick, and banged my head into the bottom of a display shelf...launching my 1/48 Max into space. I would have thought Gerwalk mode was a good choie(perhaps land on its feet) but it spun upside down and landed on a metal weight on the floor....bang...cracked canopy...doh! Suprisingly...despite a 6' fall...the restsurvived....ailerons poped off, armements strewn about...but nothing broken. (the missiles actually seperated from their clusters due to force...but didn't break... )

BTW,,,I contacted HLJ for replacement parts.,...they said "

Dear Sir/Madam;

Yamato has contacted us about your parts order.

UnfortunatelyC1/48 VF-1 MAX from your parts order is not available.A mAX

They have no schedule to re-produce it in the near future.

We are sorry we cannot help you get it.

"

DOH

Edited by Myersjessee

Sorry buddy...I feel your pain...I was working on my TV...stood up qick, and banged my head into the bottom of a display shelf...launching my 1/48 Max into space. I would have thought Gerwalk mode was a good choie(perhaps land on its feet) but it spun upside down and landed on a metal weight on the floor....bang...cracked canopy...doh! Suprisingly...despite a 6' fall...the restsurvived....ailerons poped off, armements strewn about...but nothing broken. (the missiles actually seperated from their clusters due to force...but didn't break... )

BTW,,,I contacted HLJ for replacement parts.,...they said "

Dear Sir/Madam;

Yamato has contacted us about your parts order.

UnfortunatelyC1/48 VF-1 MAX from your parts order is not available.A mAX

They have no schedule to re-produce it in the near future.

We are sorry we cannot help you get it.

"

DOH

Thanks for the info on HLJ. Saves me wasting my time waiting for an answer from them. I've got a friend that might be able to help me fix this problem.

PS

hey Greenguy, depending on the outcome, I just might have a fix for this. I'll pop up a notice in this thread with a pic and let you have a squiz if it is quite feasible.

Drif, the material used on a toy is irrelevant on this issue. Any toy that falls a certain height, will almost always have something breaking off.

You seem to be fixated on baiting me, but anyway try this for size: Material doesn't make a difference? What if the shield was made of something really hardy, like... ABS or even aluminium (an exaggeration, of course)? I'm sticking to my not-unreasonable opinion that the current clear plastic used for the HS is not only brittle, but unecessarily so because the skulls, if any, are printed on top now. Making the change will result in less potential for damage during play and up the satisfaction level, because owners will have one less thing to worry about.

You seem to be fixated on baiting me, but anyway try this for size: Material doesn't make a difference? What if the shield was made of something really hardy, like... ABS or even aluminium (an exaggeration, of course)? I'm sticking to my not-unreasonable opinion that the current clear plastic used for the HS is not only brittle, but unecessarily so because the skulls, if any, are printed on top now. Making the change will result in less potential for damage during play and up the satisfaction level, because owners will have one less thing to worry about.

Baiting you?

Puh-lease, don't hurt yourself trying to pat yourself on the back too much. <_<

Let me ask this.

Do you blame the car company if they put large stainless rollbars/bumpers on their trucks, and one of their trucks just happen to run you over even if you found out the driver was drunk?

drifund is kinda right, the rest of my toy survived. The plastic that they used to make the heat shield is very flimsy, I took it off my VF-1S to get it recast and it was noticably quite flexible.

By the way, was the skull printed on top of the heat shield or on the inside then painted red over that? If you run your finger over the skull, it feels like they printed it on top, you can feel the elevation across an otherwise smooth surface.