Finally saw the Hobbit.

I think the big ork sinking on the ice with the large chunk of concrete was a good metaphor for the Hobbit films.

Sinking under their own weight.

The first 30 min was cringe inducing cliches.

I was really, really pissed... as I set through the whole 7-8 hour ordeal to see the Dwarves wearing their giant masks at the battle of the five armies...probably the biggest detail in the book about the Dwarves in the battle for the five armies.

I just wanted to see that in 3D detail, as it was my favorite part of the book... and they left it out.

They included a bunch of bullshit that didn't happen, but the left out the masks.

I thought this last one was the best of the (Hobbit) bunch, which is not really saying very much. Over long and drawn out, in some ways the best part was Bilbo coming home to his stuff being sold.

The part with Smaug REALLY OUGHT TO HAVE BEEN IN THE LAST MOVIE. Leaving it for this one was just awkward at best.

And that is why Fellowship was by far my favorite of the Saga. It just felt more intimate and real compared to any of the others, TLOTR or The Hobbit.

Chris

Agree * 1000. Even after all of these years The Fellowship of the Rings is one of my favorite movies to just pop-in and watch.

After having seen The Battle of the Five Armies I wish the overall series had a better send-off (especially with the heavy handed references to LOTR at the very end). But oh well...

He's gone full Lucas.

He went full Lucas a long time ago. I think he and James Cameron have both been replaced by pod people.

Ha ha ha ha ha

In a way they are very much victims of their own success.

-b.

• 1 month later...