Macross II Destroids - big, clean, and custom colored

grebo guru

I always wanted to see a picture of a Spartan carrying a GU-11 gunpod like a regular grunt as well as the Defender with a set of gunpod arms as it's main AA weaponry.

Considering that the 55mm gun pods of the VF-1 were considered overkill for the fighters I always speculated they'd adapt them for the Destroid forces as opposed to abandoning them all together.

Edited by Zinjo

Glad you guys are enjoying. I gotta admit, I don't think the Mac II destroids are very good designs... but, they're among the few new Destroid designs we've gotten, and I want there to be more. (I know Kawamori has explained that they're obsolete and no longer made, but I LIKE Destroids! Besides, I don't fully buy the idea of them becoming obsolte.)

Anyway, the idea of a Defender with gatling guns -- that's sorta like the idea behind the Cheyenne, isn't it? I like that Destroid. But actually, a GU-11 equipped Defender IS a cool idea. Sounds like a fun Photoshop project. And a Spartan carrying a GU-11? Yes, makes sense to me... Sounds like I have more Photoshop projects ahead of me! :-)

Grebo!

I always wanted to see a picture of a Spartan carrying a GU-11 gunpod like a regular grunt as well as the Defender with a set of gunpod arms as it's main AA weaponry.

Considering that the 55mm gun pods of the VF-1 were considered overkill for the fighters I always speculated they'd adapt them for the Destroid forces as opposed to abandoning them all together.

Are those scans from the Macross II RPG books?

They sure look like it, but maybe he got them from someplace else.

...snip...(I know Kawamori has explained that they're obsolete and no longer made, but I LIKE Destroids! Besides, I don't fully buy the idea of them becoming obsolte.)...snip...

I don't buy it either, Destroid are more heavilly armored and pack a lot more firepower than VFs. I like to think destroids are still used for close ship defense.

I'm happy to see that there are others here who, like me, still see value in Destroids!!

And yeah, I scanned the art from the Macross II RPG books. It took me a long time to remove all of the extra surface patterning and shading, but I managed eventually. The guy who added them -- Newton Ewell -- is a nice guy and is extremely talented, as well as a big anime fan. I'm sure Kevin Simbieda told him to add all that extra stuff to the basic line art. That's the thing, though -- the base artwork is exactly the line art/model sheet imagery from japan.

Like I said, I'm not actually all that fond of the Macross II Destroid's designs to start with. Indeed, I'm not fond of the mecha designer himself who drew them. I forget his name, but he did illustrations for the Gundam ZZ and Gundam 0080 model kit instructions, designed the mecha for "Under The Gundam: Double Fake" and Blue Gender, and generally gets around. He's contributed designs to SRW as well. In my opinion his best work can be seen in the Wares Blade roleplaying games. Damn, I wish I could remember his name off the top of my head, but I can't.

Anyway! I'm getting kinda psyched at the idea of the tweaked Spartan and Defender. I'll get to cleaning up the MII RPG's Giant Monster art sometime soon, as well.

Grebo!

I like the Mac II Destroids, because they are a natural progression from the originals. Some of the detail bits I can live without, but overall, I like them.

I agree that the destroids may be no longer needed for the space fleet but that doesn't account for the needs of the army or the marines who would use this equipment.

IMO, Spacy is simply the space navy or an umbrella name similar to the "Armed Forces". There have also been Army, Airforce, Navy and Marine divisions (in sanctioned published works) in the Earth's military that have never been addressed.

As already stated how does he explain the variable Koenig Monster in the VF-X2 game? Is it not a destroid?

The Spartan and the GU equipped Defender is a project I will be eager to see... :D

This may seem like a silly criticism but the destroids here seem more top-heavy than need be (with exception of the rail gun one). I do like the hints of the old destroids in them though.

The Defender does, but the rest seem well balanced to me.