Question 1/48 Ostrich Yamato

marx

I watched dyrl for the first time last week. I noticed that the Ostrich got a lot of onscreen time in the movie and that the main character Hikaru is out joy riding with Minmei. Yet we don't have a 1/48 version of this valk. I could understand why we wouldn't have a 1/48 if it was shown onscreen for 3 seconds and really didn't have much to do in the movie. Maybe the resaon why they don't make the Ostrich into 1/48 is because it would require them to resculpt the wings and new jet packs and redesign the way the packs hook up to the fighter, and also a new head and different color.. Whereas they could continue making valks that only require a diferent colored stripe on the chest and a different head. Does this have something to do with the popularity of a valk or a combination of the two?

Edit: I forgot they would also have to change the cockpit into a two seater.

Edited by marx

Good question. I love the 1/48 line and would love to see the ostrich in a 1/48 scale. However, I feel like Yamato has taken a step backward with the VF-0 in 1/100 scale. I dont know why yamato wouldnt continue to venture in with the 1/48 scale considering the way they have sold out almost everywhere. In fact they are re-issuing the older 1/48s. Personally I feel like the ostrich is a popular valk but yamato is looking for profit only. I guess they feel they can whip up some crap and put it out on the market (Eh Hem...VF-0 1/100 scale) but that doesnt mean that it will sell...I personally hate the way it looks and wont be spending a dime on it. Now if they were to make it in 1/48 scale that would be a different story. Yamato needs to realize that we are spending HARD EARNED cash on these toys and we desire a level of quality associated with the price we pay. Just because it costs yamato MONEY to manufacture these things doesnt mean they arent junk, the results speak for themselves. Please Yamato stop walking backwards, your just going to trip and fall. :(

Well, the issues is that they have to retool to make the 2-seater. Plus the fact that the 1/48 scale. it may not look good. While I agree that Yamato is taking a step back on the scale (VF-0 1/100), it could very well sell. I for one will skip it. As for the 1/48s being sold out everywhere, I am not so sure about that statement being true in Hong Kong and Japan.

Has there been any word on more VF-1 1/48s being reissued?

I saw a while ago that HLJ lists them on backorder...is it safe to assume that that means another production run is imminent, if not eventual?

EDIT: Confirmed at HLJ to say "backordered", although their definition of backordered includes the caveat that basically re-release is not guaranteed. It seems they know as much as we do, in other words.

Edited by Majestic

Good question. I love the 1/48 line and would love to see the ostrich in a 1/48 scale. However, I feel like Yamato has taken a step backward with the VF-0 in 1/100 scale. I dont know why yamato wouldnt continue to venture in with the 1/48 scale considering the way they have sold out almost everywhere. In fact they are re-issuing the older 1/48s. Personally I feel like the ostrich is a popular valk but yamato is looking for profit only. I guess they feel they can whip up some crap and put it out on the market (Eh Hem...VF-0 1/100 scale) but that doesnt mean that it will sell...I personally hate the way it looks and wont be spending a dime on it. Now if they were to make it in 1/48 scale that would be a different story. Yamato needs to realize that we are spending HARD EARNED cash on these toys and we desire a level of quality associated with the price we pay. Just because it costs yamato MONEY to manufacture these things doesnt mean they arent junk, the results speak for themselves. Please Yamato stop walking backwards, your just going to trip and fall. :(

Ah, nothing like a sense of entitlement when it comes to toys.

As for the 1/48s being sold out everywhere, I am not so sure about that statement being true in Hong Kong and Japan.

Well, it's still fairly easy to find the 1/48 Max & Milia VF-1J Super here in Hong Kong. The FAST Pack sets are also easy to find. I think I've seen some VF-1S Hikaru and VF-1J Hikau Super in a few shops as well, but all the other 1/48s are pretty much sold out.

Graham

I'd also love to see a 1/48 VT-1 and also a VE-1, then I could finally put all my 1/60 toys into storage.

However a long time ago Yamato indicated that they probably would not make 2-seat 1/48 toys.

There is a lot of retooling that needs doing for the VT-1. Not only do you need to sculpt all new FAST packs, but the nose section, wings and head all need resculpting and new tooling which is very expensive.

Graham

Good question.  I love the 1/48 line and would love to see the ostrich in a 1/48 scale.  However, I feel like Yamato has taken a step backward with the VF-0 in 1/100 scale.  I dont know why yamato wouldnt continue to venture in with the 1/48 scale considering the way they have sold out almost everywhere.  In fact they are re-issuing the older 1/48s.  Personally I feel like the ostrich is a popular valk but yamato is looking for profit only.  I guess they feel they can whip up some crap and put it out on the market (Eh Hem...VF-0 1/100 scale) but that doesnt mean that it will sell...I personally hate the way it looks and wont be spending a dime on it.  Now if they were to make it in 1/48 scale that would be a different story.  Yamato needs to realize that we are spending HARD EARNED cash on these toys and we desire a level of quality associated with the price we pay.  Just because it costs yamato MONEY to manufacture these things doesnt mean they arent junk, the results speak for themselves.  Please Yamato stop walking backwards, your just going to trip and fall.  :(

Ah, nothing like a sense of entitlement when it comes to toys.

LOL... no kidding.

I don't really get how some of you figure it costs less to sculpt and design a new toy, the 1/100 VF-0 than it does to re-engineer the 1/48 for 2-seater models. The VF-0 is obviously an attempt to sell to Mac Zero fans in Japan who want something cheap and current. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Yamato will get the hint.

I don't have much doubt that we'll see more Vf-1 1/48's in the future. As many have said, it would be foolish not to.

I just hope they go to the trouble to make good variants, like the VT-1, VE-1, and VF-1D... not just put out a bunch of limited edition repaints. As much as you guys dig the Low Vis... it would get real old, real quick to alot of collectors.

EXO

We'll pay!!!

:D

We surely will! :D

I think the problem is that with the existing moulds/sculpts they could just do more variants (5 SDFM/6 DYRL/

1 Low Viz :wub: = 12) compared to 3 VT/VE/1D in both colours (6) - they require almost all new moulds/sculpts.

I just wonder where they left the 1/48 brownie - I am missing that one in my shelve.... :(

...did Yamato not release the Cannon Fodder yet???

Maybe they were just checking how many they could sell of the 2-seater (compared with VF-1 selling figures) and then decide if or if not they go for it!

I really can hardly wait! :wacko:

Edited by crisp