Optimus Prime G1 (japanese) reissues

marx

I was looking at a bunch of G1 Optimus Prime japanese (actually convoy) reissues and was wondering how many versions of the G1 Optimus Prime have been released? What are the differences between the various versions, any QC issues?I've seen like 3 now I believe. I'm not interested in the US versions since they've destroyed the smoke stacks, would anyone know where I can get a good deal on one? Cheapest I've seen is $130 US and for that much I might as well buy a 1/48 VF-1.

I was looking at a bunch of G1 Optimus Prime japanese (actually convoy) reissues and was wondering how many versions of the G1 Optimus Prime have been released? What are the differences between the various versions, any QC issues?I've seen like 3 now I believe. I'm not interested in the US versions since they've destroyed the smoke stacks, would anyone know where I can get a good deal on one? Cheapest I've seen is $130 US and for that much I might as well buy a 1/48 VF-1.

wow, 130 for prime? That's a lot. Anyway, the three that I've seen was of course the Dreamwave takara reissue, the first regular reissue, and the New Year's reissue. The first release was just and identical release of the original. Nothing too fancy. The New Years one is the same but comes with the matrix, a little metal action master prime, a mouse pad and a whole sheet of different size autobot stickers. And finally the bookstyle reissue with dreamwave art on the front cover is the same exact toy, but more accessories. It comes with the energy axe that's shown in the cartoon, everything else that came with the New Years prime except for the action master and matrix, and a 3 ring binder to hold all of those mini booklets that come with all the other Bookstyle reissues. My personal favorites of the reissues is the Bookstyle prime and then the New Years prime. But if you wanna get technical, there were other reissues too, but they were e-hobby type exclusives. There was all black prime, and a clear cab prime that was some sort of convention prize giveaway. I think that's it. But I could be wrong. :p:D:lol:

Edit in: Oh forgot, the prices on these. The first release, I'm not sure. It'll probably be around 80 to 100. The new years prime is about the same, like 90 to 110. The bookstyle prime is a lot cheaper. It'll cost you from 70 to 90.

Edited by BoBe-Patt

I have the bookstyle Prime but it doesn't come with a mousepad or insignia stickers, I think that was only in the New Year edition.

Also, in terms of the toy itself, the New Year's Prime had "cup-holding" hands (it looks like he's holding cups in his fists), ehich makes it different from the original. Also the eyes are blue like the anime and the windows are not of that orangey shade.

The bookstyle Prime on the other hand, has the cup-hands again but the colours seem to be back to "normal" (i.e. yellow eyes, etc).

Edited by Renato

I've got several reissues of OP, and I think the New Year's is easily the best.

You get everything Prime had originally, plus more fun stuff like the Matrix and Energy Morningstar weapon.

If you want something that's more like a straight copy of the original, then the get the book-style one.

I've spent a few hours now looking and found at the low price of... $95... <_< I'm gonna give up on this search and go for a Max Q-rau instead. Thanks anyways.

don't give up, you'll regret it! try ebay if you can't find it anymore. I'm pretty sure there's somebody selling it for cheap out there. :p:D:lol:

I had the New Years Prime which I absolutely adored. I loved the extras and I loved the blue windows and eyes. The show-accurate gun was really cool too. And then the Masterpiece Prime came out and demanded that I sell off the NY Prime to afford it, and I did. No regrets at all. B))

OK, slightly off-topic, but does anyone know if there is a webpage with all the scans of the files released so far with the Takara bookstyle reissue TFs?

The binder comes with Prime, but you need to get all the damn reissues to fill it and I don't want to buy them all. Especially Skids.

That would be cool. Though I did just buy a skids yesterday.

as for picking up a Takara #0 convoy- it's probably ebay only. though you might get lucky if you check HLJ's transformers section daily- they occasionally pick up a couple.i

Isn't there a Prime 0 that doesn't come with the binder that you can get for cheaper? I thought there was a difference.

nope, the Prime 00 only comes with binder. Not without. Maybe on ebay you can find a seller who's just selling the prime. :p:D:lol:

i heard about a convention gold G1 optimus...can't confirm it since i've only heard of it and haven't seen any pictures of it...i wouldn't doubt there being a full gold version since toy companies have the tendency to make extremely limited editions <_<

i heard about a convention gold G1 optimus...can't confirm it since i've only heard of it and haven't seen any pictures of it...i wouldn't doubt there being a full gold version since toy companies have the tendency to make extremely limited editions <_<

actually there was a gold one made, but I believe it was a like either a giveaway or a prize for winning. I forgot, but it's in my japanese transformers guide book.

Actually I have been getting all the takara reissueof the TFs except Hot Rod. Never liked him in the Movie, TV series, and toy. I basically hated transformers after the movie. Except for the I loved the old G1. Sucked to see prowl, ironhide, wheeljack, and all the other G1s die in the movie which was such BS.

Anyways, I have the New Years and Takara Reissue. I like the New Years because of the blue eyes as in the cartoon and Matrix. Oh I also got 3 Masterpiece Primes as well.

Isn't there a Prime 0 that doesn't come with the binder that you can get for cheaper?  I thought there was a difference.

nope, the Prime 00 only comes with binder. Not without. Maybe on ebay you can find a seller who's just selling the prime. :p:D:lol:

I thought some of the sellers at F&S had a binder version for $100 and a non-binder version for like $70 when they first came out. Maybe they were just trying to sell the binder separately or something. Oh well, thanks for the info Pat.

actually there was a gold one made, but I believe it was a like either a giveaway or a prize for winning. I forgot, but it's in my japanese transformers guide book.

There was a gold one released in 1987 complete with a trophy-like stand and plaque.

There's one on display in a shop near me but it isn't for sale, and good luck finding one of those!

I got my Masterpiece Prime today (japanese version). I opend the box and slid him out, I became a little impatient undoing the twisty ties he had all over. But just seeing him out of the box was enough to make think, "should I bother getting the original Prime?" Then I transformed him, and my mind was made up. I'm not getting the old prime for sure now. This is the best Prime that has been ever made. Now all it needs is a trailer. The cardboard piece of junk doesn't do it justice, it needs a real trailer for sure.