Best Masking Tape to use?

Majestic

So I'm masking and airbrushing (with Tamiya acrylics) a model, but am finding that the masking tape seems to be effecting paint below it.

When carefully removed, it seems to have the effect of dulling the paint beneath.

What's the best masking tape to use to avoid this problem.

I'm using:

Low-tack brown masking tape and Electrical tape.

Thanks.

Yikes... For starters, go and get proper painters tape. Usually, Walmart should have these right next to the paint (wherever the paint is stocked) in the hardware aisle. Consider 3M blue tape if you want, but basically, you're looking for any type of paint that's of low tack (AKA not very sticky), so that you don't damage the paint underneath the tape. I don't use 3M myself, but plenty of others do. I basically use cheap low tack tape. So far, it hasn't failed me yet. Although, I'm probably am going to try out Tamiya's masking tape or 3M one of these days.

Tamiya tape is worth its weight in gold.

Though 3M blue tape is decent (as in, low-tack) it can't conform to a curve or surface half as well as Tamiya.

Use 3M is you're just masking straight lines and flat areas, as its cheap. But if you need a curve or 3D area, Tamiya's the way to go.

Clarification:

I only use 3M as "filler", the actual painted edge should always be Tamiya. But if you need to mask off an area like the size of your hand, use 3M blue for the center area to fill out the Tamiya-masked edge.

PS--I recently got some tape from HLJ by "Aizu". It seems to be Tamiya tape cut in VERY thin widths. (EXACT same color). Will try it out on canopies soon. Less than 2 bucks a roll, well worth the price, because 0.4mm is too hard to try to cut yourself, and you'd never get good consistency. I suspect that thinness will be able to pretty much curve into a complete a circle. :)

I agree. Tamiya tape is the only tape I use for painted edges. for larger parts, I edge with tamiya, then cover the rest with Scotch brand. Masking tape is not something you want to be a tightwad with. It will cost you more in the end with frustration.