DYRL DVD

Totok

Well, the BEST you can get is the official R2 release from Bandai/Emotion. It is the best in terms of video and sound quality etc.

However, if you don't have a region free player or DVD ROM drive, and if you'd rather not spend $80 on one NON SUBTITLED DVD, then the FX is the best one to get.

And yes, btw, that version is the FX version.

Thanks for the prompt respond. Anyway (at least), how about that FX sound quality? I have dyrl dvd but this one sound so "monoish" although it shows 5.1 digital. I don't want to be plagued by the same disease. The picture quality seems great.

I've got a question; What's the differances between the Anime Cartoon bootleg DVD version(which I own), to the "FX" one?

Thanks in advance! :D

The AC/MI versions are vastly inferior in the audio & video departments. The FX is a direct R2 anamorphic widescreen rip. The AC/MI verisons are also missing about 15-20 seconds at the layer change, scene where Misa uses the Protoculture City com system to try & contact the Macross.

Some say they like the sub script better on the AC?MI version, but I found the timing to be pretty off, and the scirpt to be just as loose (though in different spots) as some say the FX version is. Plus, the FX version at least get's the most important line in the movie (Misa's last) correct, while the AC/MI version screws it up.

From what i heard the FX version is remastered picture and sound.

Also there are DYRL trailers included as well.

The Anime Cartoon / Manga Inter. version there are no extras.

Also the FX version is now out of print in Hong Kong.

So what ever is left in stores are what is left, they are not making anymore for the time being.

Better grab one while you can.

If your audio setup features Dolby Pro-Logic II, then it'll split up the 2-channel stereo signal on the FX DYRL disc and provide you with some nice, simulated surround sound. :) Don't waste your time with the other DYRL boots. The FX disc is the one to own.

Edited by Drad

If your audio setup features Dolby Pro-Logic II, then it'll split up the 2-channel stereo signal on the FX DYRL disc and provide you with some nice, simulated surround sound. :) Don't waste your time with the other DYRL boots. The FX disc is the one to own.

The Bandai R2 disc and the bootleg FX disc both are encoded in Dolby Surround 2.0. In other words, you will not get discrete Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. Rather, if you have a Dolby Surround processor, you can get matrixed surround sound (echoes, mono background noise from the rear speakers). However, if you have Dolby ProLogic2 or 2x, then it can simulate 5.1 surround pretty well.

I watch DYRL FX bootleg using Dolby ProLogic2 on my 5.1 surround system, and it sounds pretty good.

However, if DYRL was ever remastered in true Dolby Digital or DTS, I would snap it up in a heartbeat!!

$8.00? What's the catch?

I seen these usually selling for $7 before shipping.

Well worth the price, the picture quality is amazing!

Plus there are trailers!

Still i wish they did add a little more extras.

But for $7, no complaints here.

Hell i might buy another one just a s a backup copy! :p

Hell, I'll complain then. If you think under ten bucks with only two trailers is close to a ripoff, consider that what you get with the FX version is 100% of what I got with the R2 PLUS subtitles. Well, I guess I did get a post card and a customer satisfaction post card too. <_<

Bandai/Emotion sucks. If they don't release a 20th Anniversary DYRL with at least new sound and a decent transfer they suck even more (if that's even possible). Hey, how about they go against the grain and release a DVD with a commentary track?!?

(Emotion executive's mind)

Hey, how about not? How about not even getting a stinking reversible cover for your almost 8,000 yen? Extras? Ha! Whatever? You'll swallow what we give you and like it little fanboy. Sure, sure, go ahead and make your little wishlist or whatever, see if we care. Now go and buy some more Gundam!

(/Emotion executive's mind)

There actually is only 1 downside to the FX release, and it's that for some reason, he chose to clip the studio logo at the beginning, so it jumps right into the black screen with Britai & Exedor chatting. Slightly dissorienting for those who've seen it many times before, but nothing that can't be gotten over. Definately better than missing actual in film footage.

I know we're not Japan's target audience, but I wish more companies would expend the minimal effort & subtitle DVD's that have little to no chance of being licensed over here. Bandai could have really blasted their Macross Zero sales sky high if they'd just included a subtitle track.

BTW, I think there actually is supposed to be another production run of the FX DYRL disc.

Bandai could have really blasted their Macross Zero sales sky high if they'd just included a subtitle track.

Back in what was it 2002, when we first heard about Macross Zero, I pleaded with Yamato to suggest exactly this to Big West, but obviously nothing came of it.

The Japanese are often so short-sighted (or just don't care) when it comes to the international market......sigh

Graham

From what I've been told, Macross really isn't that popular in Japan anyway. As has been said many times before (no matter how we may feel about it).. it's all about Gundam over there. :unsure:

Bandai could have really blasted their Macross Zero sales sky high if they'd just included a subtitle track.

Back in what was it 2002, when we first heard about Macross Zero, I pleaded with Yamato to suggest exactly this to Big West, but obviously nothing came of it.

The Japanese are often so short-sighted (or just don't care) when it comes to the international market......sigh

Graham

Yeah, but then they'd have to hire someone to actually do a translation and put the subs on... I think you're right: they can't be bothered, because they don't see how popular their shows are overseas. But then, they could do a lot to boost this, such as lowering the price. Subtitle or no subtitle, I aint paying Y4000 or Y5000 or whatever the hell it is for a 30 minute show, and neither will many fans who would import normally but will settle for a downloadable version if it's free.

So first of all we have to make sure we prove to them that they have real sales potential in the foreign markets, but first they have to do something about the price and the subtitle options.

So first of all we have to make sure we prove to them that they have real sales potential in the foreign markets,

Which would be a lot easier without a certain other company whose initials are the same as Horrid Garbage......sigh

Graham

So first of all we have to make sure we prove to them that they have real sales potential in the foreign markets,

Which would be a lot easier without a certain other company whose initials are the same as Horrid Garbage......sigh

Graham

Hehe. "Hideous Gangrene".

I keep telling you guys, next time Kawamori comes to a con, "tell him" we need subtitles! Last year was a perfect opportunity when he was on the Macross Panel, and I can't believe no one thought to mention it. Wasn't there even a Bandai rep with him???

• 5 weeks later...

the fx is a nice disc.first thing i noticed was how much brighter the picture was from my old vhs.tape of dyrl?.i was so happy to be able to see more detail in the art.....sigh.the chinese subtitles option is always a hit w/ my chinese girlfriends too.she only wants to watch my dvd's that have that option in my anime collection. ;)

first thing i noticed was how much brighter the picture was from my old vhs.tape of dyrl?.i was so happy to be able to see more detail in the art...

First thing I noticed was how much less blurry the picture was from my old VHS tape of DYRL?. I was so happy to be able to see the movie finally :p:lol: