1/48 Stickers

1/1 LowViz Lurker

I just applied some stickers on a 1/48 yamato vf1 and noticed that there are 2 layers. The top layer of the stickers is dull while the bottom is nice and shiny.

But sometimes when you peel the top layer it leaves the bottom layer all sticky.

Is it normal to just leave the top layer on, or to peel it?

I tried peeling it for the unspacy logo and because I wasn't careful I ended up tearing the bottom layer while trying to peel the top layer off.

Lucky they give extra stickers for this part..

how he heck do you peel the top layer off?????

thats what i was just trying to figure out , were some of the stickers perhaps printed different, because there is no way on mine to peel off a top layer i was just looking at it.

I posted about this before. Sometimes the adhesive sticks to the plastic so strongly that you'll rip the hard thick part of the sticker off the adhesive part which has the print on it. Not reliable since I can't find a way to remove ONLY the top part and it happens on random.

Dudes, this is going to freak you out, but there is no real visible way to do it. I actualy found this out by accident after hearing about it here when somebody wanted to take his stickers off.

The only way is:

a) to stick the whole thing on the plastic of the toy first.

b) push it down hard enough so the sticky stuff on the bottom layer is firmly stuck to the toy, then...

c) with a long fingernail ( I haven't cut my nails in ages hehe) just scratch it hard and eventually you'll notice there's a weaker covering layer which is less sticky than the bottom layer's stikiness. You made need to apply a finger on the bottom layer as you are peeling off the top layer to help keep the bottom stuck down.

But...this is risky as I mentioned above for some of the stickers.

I take no responsibility if you end up accidently tearing the bottom layer off with the top layer.

But I swear 2 layers exist. If I had a digital camera I would have taken pictures to show you.

I actually TRIED to take the whole top layer off without applying the stickers to the toy, (ie just leaving the stickers on the sticker sheet) ...but no good. I end up most of the time taking both layers off. The only way I have figured it out so far is to apply them to the toy first. which can be scary if you are dealing with the bigger ones (like the un spacy logo)

My guess is the bottom layer is meant to provide enough stability so that when you scratch the top layer off, you then have leverage with your finger nails to force the top layer off. (one layer having stronger adhesive than another)

Here's a tip: get a sticker that you KNOW you won't use, apply it onto the toy as a test. Push it down hard. Then with a long fingernail, scrape as hard as you can NEAR the edge of the sticker (not ON the edge, otherwise you'll risk taking the whole sticker off). Now I promise you will see the top layer slowly come off. Keep scratching and peeling till the whole thing is gone. Sometimes the top layer leaves a bit of it's sticky stuff on the bottom layer which can be annoying since you gotta clean this off, and sometimes it doesn't.

I might try this again with some of the little numbers you get with it. (since I will not be using all of them.)

So far I have peeled off about 6 stickers' top layers. I always thought the stickers looked a bit dull when you apply them.. so when I discovered there is a bottom layer, I was happy. The clear part of the sticker is more transparent than the top layer.

If anyone is daring enough, let me know if you manage to peel the top layer off properly. Pictures would be nice. If anyone knows if there is an official safe way to do it, that would be good.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

And I thought my decal were defective, so I improvise by peeling off the top layer on my 21's decal. On the Yamato 1/72 decal, the top layer is the shinny and bottom is dull. IMO, I kinda of like the dull looks...give it a more "painted" feels to it. Then off course, you can spray a clear coat to protect it...

I took an exacto knife and carefully lifted 1 corner of the decal and the top layer came off effortless. My 21 is currently in the storage now, give me till the end of this week to provide you some pic.

Dudes, this is going to freak you out, but there is no real visible way to do it. I actualy found this out by accident after hearing about it here when somebody wanted to take his stickers off.

That probably would be me. :lol:

just spend the money and get yourself some takatoys stickers.. worth the money and the time it takes to cut them out.

Yup, Takatoys' 1/48 stickers are great. When viewed at a certain angle you can notice a sheen. I prefer a flat finish, so I use a 1/4" wide brush and Testor's Model Master Clear Flat Finish #FS30000. I just applied all the stickers for Hikaru's 1J and they almost look like they are painted on. Can't wait to start on Max & Miria.