Firefly Movie Teaser Poster

Gaijin

I am not familiar with this series, where is it from and what is it about?

thanks

Chris

This is the easiest way.

Firefly

Plus, a release date...taken from Fireflyfans.net

Browncoats -

Joss emailed me this to me and I wanted to post it IMMEDIATELY because BIG NEWS is contained within. What a day we had today! But enough from me now, here's a quote from our fearless leader:

Quote:

Hi guys. Just wanted to give you some news but guess what? I can't get on the site. I have trouble with passwords. So hopefully Chris B will forward this to you with his wily technical knowledgablosity.

Today was (as I think you know) the first day of filming of Serenity. Which is pretty big for me (it felt weird to START with Mal's death, but scheduling isn't my area). It was a blast. Sean said it was like school was back in session after summer vacation, which I have decided to take as a compliment. Gina did a happy dance (and there are few happier sights than Gina doing a happy dance). We're still flying. And the best part is, that's not even why I'm posting.

The real news, and you heard it here first, is that Universal has thrown down an official release date! So mark your calendars, Browncoats, 'cause if you're planning to get married on April 22nd 2005, you better change the date. Seriously. Who gets married in April? Just change it.

April 22nd. Exactly when I wanted to open, 'cause it's SOON. I can't wait for you all to see what we're putting together. It's a crazy-quilt of infotainment that like to call a 'film', and it just may be the best one ever made. Or one of the ones in the middle. Probably not the worst... I'm thinking middle. High middle. So buckle up and get ready for that patented Joss Whedon "high-middle" excitment. It's on its way.

I'm tired, and apparently I have to direct, like, EVERY scene, so I'm

crashing. Thanks again, all of you, for helping me home. It's good to be back.

-joss.

I also posted this to the OB. The BIG NEWS is that we have an Official Release Date of April 22, 2005 (three or four weeks in front of SW Episode 3). We're thrilled and terrified about the date. It's very soon considering we just shot Day One of the BDM. Much work to do, but we wanted to make sure you and the fans got this news first.

Best,

Buchanan

Edited by Gaijin

Looks like some sorta sci-fi romance book cover to me. :lol:

The name and font probably have something to do with that, although both are true to the original series. I'll agree that the poster is a little amateurish, but most teaser posters are, since you rarely have much in the way of concrete imagery to use, so you just slap together whatever you have.

If the 'Scifi/Romance' look works to attract female audiences, I say let them run with it. I've yet to meet a female I've introduced Firefly to that hasn't liked it, so anything to draw them into the web. It's got such a wide array of charms that it works for just about anyone who can get over the whole 'in the future, the border worlds will all be like the 19th century American west' concept.

It's a shame the series lasted but one season (more due to poor executive decisions/scheduling/marketing than quality). Firefly had more going for it during its first season than just about any other show I've seen. It's quite possible it could've burned out over time, but it was easily on par (if not superior) to just about any scifi tv show's mid-life seasons.

The best thing about the Firefly movie is that with its relatively low budget ($50 million-ish), it's virtually guaranteed to turn a profit before it even reaches DVD. Hopefully that means we'll get to see parts 2 and 3 in the years to come.

Man, I am STOKED for this movie!!!

If you haven't seen this series you MUST rent (or buy!) the DVD set. Doesn't matter if yer a sci-fi fan (prob not an issue here!) or whatnot, the storytelling is SOLID, typical high-quality Joss Whedon.

It reminds me of Cowboy Bebop & definitly wears its miriad influences on it's sleeve... but this is definitly a case where the sum is greater than the parts. Great series.

Hell, I can be a harsh critic... but by the midpoint of the first episode I was hooked. At first I didn't even like the design of Serenity (the Firefly-class ship they travel on), but it grew on me to the point where I'm a converted fan of it's peculiar 'goose'-like aesthetic.

The frosting on the cake is that the SFX are totally top notch... bettter than most theatrical stuff, IMO. They spent their budget wisely & to maximum effect.

Check out the reviews on Amazon.com... nearly 1000 reviews & it appears damn near ALL are the max, 5 stars. There's a reason for that. Firefly is one of the best character driven TV series... EVER.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd

I can't wait to see how it translates to the big screen! If we're lucky, theatrical success will spawn more movies... or better yet... AND revive the TV series. *fingers crossed* :)

They never really cared about it...it wasn't what they thought it would be (an "action sci fi"), they never showed the pilot until after (ironically the last episode they showed), they advertised it weird..."the girl in the box" thing which again, made no sense to anyone since they never showed the pilot.

Fox...they either hit or miss with their decisions and they aren't consistent. They have had so many great shows that they cancelled. Firefly fans are lucky enough to have Joss lobby so hard that even cancellation couldn't stop it. He loved this show so much, he had to finish telling it.