So... How was Wonderfest?!?

I need to know how the fest was this year. Were there any good limited edition Macross stuff available? Gimme some details!!

Found some picture here... but no anime as far as I can see. I think I saw a Gundam and a Five Star Stories kits in the background of a couple

http://www.fire-house.net/jheilman/Index.html

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

There was very little Macross stuff that I saw.... Thor got a VF-0S model kit, but that was all I saw. There was a 1:48 VF-1S Roy 1st ed. for sale there, for 150 bucks or so. That was the limit, though...

I almost bought a Moya resin kit, but didn't. I did buy one of those Enterprise NX-01 kits from Polar Lights... at 1:350, it's friggin huge. Bunch of cool stuff, but with a much heavier emphasis on Monster/Horror stuff than I expected. Very little plastic model kit stuff going on....

Pretty cool, though. If you are a Star Trek modeler, then it was the place for you.

There were some really cool models in the competition though. A heckova lot of SMT kits, and someone brought in a scratch built pod racer that must have been every bit of three feet long, and friggin gorgeous to boot. And excellently weathered... I'd have loved to talk to the guy who did that one. The big ass space station/dry dock thing from Star Trek was pretty cool, too.

Some really nice stuff, but much heavier on figures than I expected. And very low on the anime stuff.

Edited by gnollman

I almost bought a Moya resin kit, but didn't.

Kewl... My wife is about as big a Farscape fan as they come. I should try and track this kit down for her. Anyone know how to contact the people that were offering it at Wonderfest?

Thanks,

Carl

Starbase--with starships! :) Anyways---how much lightsheet is in it? (Looks like lightsheet to me, and there's nothing more appropriate)

There's a kit of Moya? That'd be VERY hard to paint IMHO. Unless there's some "quick and easy" way to get approx. the right look.

Edited by David Hingtgen

There's a kit of Moya?

It sure looks like it. I've just done some searching and found this pic taken at the 2002 Wonderfest. I assume its the same kit.

01_v_moya2.JPG

Still not sure how much it was or where to get one. Gnollman is this the same kit you almost bought? Do you remember how much it was?

Thanks,

Carl

That's it. Guy was letting it go for 100 bucks even.

I'm a fan, but I didn't think the kit was all that worth $100. It looked like a textured lump of resin... thouh there was a guy who did one for the contest that was lighted...

Starbase--with starships!  :)  Anyways---how much lightsheet is in it?  (Looks like lightsheet to me, and there's nothing more appropriate)

No lightsheet, actually. There's some blue neon rope light in the middle of the 'neck', white LEDs embedded in clear resin for the spine lights, and florescent tube lights for general ilumination in the top sections and the bottom shuttle bay. And there's a ton of fiber in there too.

And yes, the whole thing was motorized, in order to make it viewable on all sides. It rotates at about 1 RPM. You can't see it in the last pic I posted, but on the other side, there's a cylinder which houses the motor and gearbox. It was a bit loud, so I molded resin foam (smooth-on's Flex Foam-It 5) around it to dampen the sound a bit.

I also molded and casted all 3 types of the smaller ships (the system monitor, tug, and repair craft), in addition to all kinda of assembly, painting (priming, mostly), and clean-up work. So suffice it to say, it took a lot of time away from other projects. But now, it's full speed ahead on the monster :)

Wow! Nice Y-Wings - are those completely scratch built, or is there some Y-Wing kit out there?

I can't remember.... I want to say that they were SMT kits, but I don't remember SMT making Y-Wing kits. I'll ask my brother if he can remember...

I know those standard TIEs were from SMT....

The Y-Wings are the SMT kits, which Tony was lucky enough to get before SMT got slapped with the C&D.

The Ties are some resin kit Tony got at some convention. We never did find out who made them, but he said they were pretty bad. They used that super hard and brittle-as-hell resin

I want to say the Tie Advanced is the AMT kit, but I'm not certain.

I almost bought a Moya resin kit, but didn't.

Kewl... My wife is about as big a Farscape fan as they come. I should try and track this kit down for her. Anyone know how to contact the people that were offering it at Wonderfest?

Thanks,

Carl

My friend makes that kit. There are scribes under the piping like on the CGI model. More than a lump of resin.

The Mortar Headd kit was mine.

The SMT kits were all Alfred Wong's. He made the patterns for those two people out there that didn't already know that.

The Station looks much better in person. It rotates and I got the video to prove it.

Hey are there any more pictures out there on that Y-Wing? Any chance Cobywan can get me an Y-Wing or put me in touch with Alfred Wong for one (under the table - "cash no tax!" as we chinese like to say :p ) I'd like to find out more about it - how big (scale) is it, how much was it for?

Wonderfest was awesome! There was plenty of talent in the model competition this year with a lot of wonderful kits on display. The pictures just don't do them justice. The only bad thing was no Macross kits! I did not see even one on display in the contest. What is up with that? I thought that the Hasegawa kits would show up at least. I did not see a lot of Macross stuff for sale either, which was a disappointment since I am always on the lookout for something rare.

Next year will see some Macross kits in competition. I am already working on two dioramas for next years show and I am about to restart work on a conversion kit I am doing for the Hasegawa VF-1 Battroid. A year seems like a long time to get this done but it will go fast and I have a few other projects that use my time like a HUGE Gundam diorama for next year that I am working on as part of a team project and a 1:1000 scale Klingon Dreadnought for a friend of mine who wants one to go with his Polar Lights Enterprise. Yep, this year is going to go fast alright.

Free advice, if you can you should go to WF next year. It really is worth the trip (I drive across 4 states) and you won't find a better bunch of people to hang out with for a weekend.

Hey are there any more pictures out there on that Y-Wing? Any chance Cobywan can get me an Y-Wing or put me in touch with Alfred Wong for one (under the table - "cash no tax!" as we chinese like to say :p ) I'd like to find out more about it - how big (scale) is it, how much was it for?

I can't help ya on the SMT stuff. Those were slapped down pretty hard by the Lucasfilm Lawyers. I heard they appear on Ebay from time to time.

Alfred doesn't do any of the casting though. You would need to talk to SMT. But I am sure they won't break the CnD.