ENTERPISE season finale

Yeah, I liked the season finale, too, but a little disappointed with the way they ended the episode. It's just like what most of you guys are saying--it's too cliched!

But the space battle was really great and let's admit it--we can't really get enough of that!! :D

and... Sphere builders = borg ? :D

I really doubt it. If you can cross dimensions and build devices that work like miniature (but full-power) Death Stars almost at whim, why exactlly would you need to turn yourselves into cyborgs with a hive mind?

Besides, the borg already exist in this part of the Trek timeline.

All I wanted was the Federation/Romulan war that was SUPPOSED to happen according to the original Trek timelime...Fought with Nuclear Weapons in space!

What is with all this time travel garbage? I'm getting dizzy and bored.

TOS and DS9 did the best job with time travel. Like the other poster said, the Eugenics wars or any other volatile age in Earth's history (nuclear winters of the 21st/22nd centuries) would have been great times to return to and provide more background for the ESTABLISHED Trek chronology.

I've seen enough damn Nazis and the 20th century for a lifetime. Why can't we fill in the holes on how such a violent and crazy Earth somehow organized itself into a the nexus of a peaceful galactic Federation?

They make so much about it in all the 24th century series about how they "overcame" all these obstacles to make the utopian federation which nolonger has poverty or even street crime. Let's see it happen for once (First Contact touched on a boring part of the reconstruction era) and the DS9 episode where they went into the Sanctuaries was also pretty good.

That said Enterprise is getting better but I'm still maladjusted to the look of the ship. As others would have said, I would have vastly preferred a 23rd century series. Star Trek 6 is my favorite of the ST Movies and the military look of that period is my favorite aesthetic for Trek.

A Captain Sulu era series could pick up after the Khitomer Conference Peace and the upheaval it has on the Alpha Quadrant. And it's really too bad we see so little of the Romulans in any of the series (Nemesis was garbage). They are the only race capable of matching and exceeding the Federation in both technology, politics, and ideology.

Another thing would be to bring more ancient galactic races into the mix. Some mysterious ancient galactic mystery with untapped powers left by long-dead races would be really cool. Maybe more Doomsday Machines like from TOS or Iconian worlds.

Okay, that was just a lot of BS but everytime I watch Enterprise, I hope that Archer will suddenly Quantum Leap out of there...or at least Sam would appear and coach Archer on what he should be doing next. They are a great actors and a great cast. I simply wish they were given more to work on. They are > than Voyager's crew in every respect. Voyager was simply grating from episode 2 onwards.

Please bring back Ira Stephen Behr to the franchise. And somebody fire Rick Berman.

Edited by ComicKaze

All I wanted was the Federation/Romulan war that was SUPPOSED to happen according to the original Trek timelime...Fought with Nuclear Weapons in space!

There's talk about this at the Trek Forums where supposedly that's a Reman at the end of Zero Hour. Eventually this will lead towards the Romulan War (which should take place IF there's a 5th or 6th season), and with all this talk about bringing back Shatner (as Kirk OR his greatgrandfather) makes me all the more interested (yeah....I know shameless plus, ratings booster, who cares) in Season 4.

Personally, I think the cliffhanger has Brannon Braga's handiwork written all over it. With him apparently stepping down from his Executive Producer duties next year. It sure looks like he left the NEW writers one HELL of a jam to write themselves out of. Hopefully it'll be Sussman, Coto, or Black that'll handle the writing load next Season (along with BUUUUUUUUUUURMAN). :blink:

Edited by UN Spacy

There's talk about this at the Trek Forums where supposedly that's a Reman at the end of Zero Hour. Eventually this will lead towards the Romulan War (which should take place IF there's a 5th or 6th season), and with all this talk about bringing back Shatner (as Kirk OR his greatgrandfather) makes me all the more interested (yeah....I know shameless plus, ratings booster, who cares) in Season 4.

Personally, I think the cliffhanger has Brannon Braga's handiwork written all over it. With him apparently stepping down from his Executive Producer duties next year. It sure looks like he left the NEW writers one HELL of a jam to write themselves out of. Hopefully it'll be Sussman, Coto, or Black that'll handle the writing load next Season (along with BUUUUUUUUUUURMAN). :blink:

Ah yes, so Braga essentially decided to give everyone the finger before leaving eh?

Way to go out in a blaze of glory.

3.  Shran's appearance was too convenient, and the explanation that he'd been tracking Archer's approach, albeit with trouble, was downright lame.

How is it lame when Shran pretty much been tailing Archer for roughly a season now. Has every here forgoten the epsiode where Shran been ordered to take the weapon prototype after helping Archer capture?

It's lame, in my opinion, because that plot was fully resolved in that episode. The Andorians absconded with the second prototype weapon, which was the entire reason Shran tracked Enterprise in the first place. Archer goes in pursuit after being collected by his crew and sends the overload code to detonate the device and deny the Andorians their deceitfully acquired prize; at the end, someone in Shran's ship, possibly Shran himself, sends Archer the schematics for the weapon...Shran was doing his duty in getting the weapon at the human's expense, but it was clear that he did not like betraying someone he'd come to respect. End of episode, end of plot. There is no logical reason for Shran to track Enterprise after that, not to mention that it took time for them to find the NX-01 in the first place, and at the end of that episode they were limping home under emergency power.

In order to buy Shran's appearance in "Zero Hour" you have to assume that they made it to Andoria, their ship was repaired or they were assigned a new one, and went back to the Expanse without being detected by anyone (Andorians don't have cloaking technology) and found the NX-01 again, were witness to everything that transpired and were aware that Archer had boarded a Xindi ship for the trip to Earth. If Shran had been trailing Enterprise he'd have followed her to Sphere 41 and not Degra's ship as it traveled through a spacial corridor, as it would be doubtful that the Andorians would be aware of that mode of travel, or possibly unable to use it themselves, which would leave them with conventional warp travel that would take too long to let them arrive in the nick of time.

The only way to reconcile Shran's presence is if he never went back to his home world, had the ship repaired in route and, out of some sense of personal honor and atonement, kept a vigil outside the Sol system awaiting the arrival of Enterprise or the Xindi; however, if that were the case, he should have fired on Degra's ship until contacted by Archer.

Bottom line: too convenient.

All that being said, I enjoyed the fact that Shran was the only one to come to Earth's defense. Where were the Vulcans?...being French?

Edited by mechaninac

That did severely bug me too. At least those few existing Earth ships should have bene on guard duty, and our dear Vulcans should have had the LOGICAL decency to send a few ships to help stand guard given the fact that they knew a death star was potentially on the way. Hell, some Nuclear Missle Sattellites would be nice for defence. A defense grid like Earth had in Babylon 5. No fleet directly around the planet, but a nice orbital defense grid.

I hope we see some Romulans soon, they would make a great main antagonist, and at least see the build up towards the war against them.

No more time travel. Enough using that damn plot device as a crutch.

At least use the Kningons as a problem again. The Breene, naussicans, someone. Just no more time travel. They have a lot of actual space they need to travel.

Please, there's enough damage to cannon already. Does the whole Romulan war have to be trashed too?

Next thing y'know we have the Ent-D wandering around to help out. Or even better yet, the refit of the NX-01 will just be Ent-d turned upside down with original nacelles!

If they decide to continue this sherade called trek they'd BETTER make it good in order for me to come back and watch it. The Romulan war might be a good excuse for this to pick up, but with the way Ent's handled the Andorians and the Vulcans, and then there's the unforgiveable fact that they brought back the borg... <_<

On the other hand the romulans were handled well, and so were the Tholians. If they have independant writers making the script then there's still hope that Ent might come out of the abyss it's fallen into.

The finale was pretty good. Though one thing that I found interesting. It didn't seem like Archer or Enterprise went back in time but that the planet itself went back in time. Once Trip left in a shuttle to contact starfleet they were attacked by US allied planes it looked like then we cut to the Nazi medical tent. This is interesting cause I don't believe they've ever taken this approach. It's usually the ships going back in time but not a planet which seems to be the case and the reason they never got an answer from Starfleet, orbiting stations or the moon base.

It's the weapon that caused this flux. It was powerfull enough to destroy a planet, and thus also powerful enough to alter time when it is seriously damaged. That's what I think, though.

Saw it last night.  Overall, it was pretty good, and I enjoyed seeing Shran come to the rescue and Dolan being blown to bloody bits.  However, there were a few plot holes you could drive a Galaxy class starship through without scraping the sides:

1.  There was only the one space station orbiting Earth.  Where was the ship yard, et al?

2.  Where were the NX-02 Colombia? The Intrepid? The Challenger?  And all the other Starfleet vessels?  You'd think that since the first Xindi attack, earth would assign a number of ships on picket duty just in case Enterprise failed in her mission.

3.  Shran's appearance was too convenient, and the explanation that he'd been tracking Archer's approach, albeit with trouble, was downright lame.  Shran would have no way to know that Archer would be coming on the heels of the Xindi weapon, and in a Xindi ship no less.  The Andorians' ability to track human bio-signs through the spatial corridor is just too much BS.  If anything, Shran should have fired on Degra's ship until contacted by Archer.

My thoughts exactly. Where were the warp2 wvessels (sorry, couldn't resist) that dinkytoyed with a Klingon bird of prey at the beginning of the Xindi arc?

Shran suddenly appeared, "tracking them down". Although the Andorians ar very cool in ST:ENT, this doesn't make sense. Maybe Shran was already in the vicinity of Earth, wanting or ordered to help the pinkskins and boasted that they have the capability to track them. That might be a logical approach.

PS.: Did anybody else get the feeling that they shot two distinct endings just in case this was the final season? That's the impression I got.

According to Scott Bakula himself, there was no dual ending shot for the episode in case they were cancelled. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if that "alien nazi" ending (while the only actual ending shot) was intended to be used if the show weren't cancelled, leaving Archer dead (witn some slight re-editing of the last 20 minutes of the episode if UPN had given it the axe.

I totally agree with you there. I was born on raised on the exploits of Captain Picard and "his" Enterprise

No matter what the box office says, Picard rocks the hizzie

Picard rocks da hizzy but there were sometimes when he just didn't jump to CONCLUSION'S like Kirk did. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Some more news on Ents upcoming season here:

http://www2.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?...55&obj_id=42645

I'm very happy Enterprise is going to be more about Trek's past instead of trying to erase it as it should have been all along. I'm really intrigued that Kirk could show up and put Enterprise into an alternate timeline so maybe we can all try to forget this disaster that B&B threw at us. Now, if we could only erase Voyager from cannon...hmm... :p

I enjoyed the season premiere. I don't mind the occasional time travel episode or story arc. It helps to add variety to the show and let's us see how the characters will behave in other situations.

I can't wait until next week (or beyond depending on how long this arc goes). It looks like a fun episode.

Great 4x01 episode! They kept most situations/scenes short, so the story kept going and going.