Kill Bill Premium Box Set ltd 30,000 units

Ok here is my review.

This is by far one of the coolest DVD box sets I have seen. American ideas of marketing sickens me and helps the almighty buck. But what else are we expecting from the largest consumer country in the world ran by capitalism? Anyway . . .

This DVD is the Japanese R2 Premium Box Set. Retail is 7600 Yen. There is another one that is around 3600 (I think) that is the movie. Not sure about Special features.

This version has a somewhat long but beautiful intro before the Main Menu that shows the main characters,The Bride, Lucy Liu, Hanzo, Chiyaki, Johnny Mo and others.

The main menu has the usual Play Movie, Scene Index, special features, and audio setup.

In terms of audio setup there is English audio and a Japanese Dubb. for Subtitles there is english and two japanese tracks. Although I dont know what the second one is for. The first japanese track is just to translate anything not japanese. So its not for the hearing impaired.

For special features, There is a home video of the production mainly of the Blue Leaves restaurant. Portraying Uma and Chiyaki duking it out on the set.

There is a indepth interview and documentary by the japanese animators.

There is a list of cast and people who worked on the film. Sort of a Bio/filmography. And under the names are some interviews; Quentin Tarantino, Uma Thurman, Lucy Liu, Sonny Chiba, Julie Dreyfus, and Chiyaki. as well as the producer.

There is a feature that plays the animated sequence along with the original storyboards. As the anime plays they show you 5 or 6 shots fromthe story board so you can see how they concieved the shots for the anime.

There is a photo gallery, with shots from the production and sketches of the anime. Like a naked redering of the Bride. dont know why she's naked but who cares right?

Of course liek most DVDs trailers and tv spots are in the list. There is a neat trailer of Kill Bill as a whole. Vol 1 and Vol 2 combined as one big trailer for one big movie.

In terms of the DVD it is great there is the famous full color fight scene in the Blue Leaves restaurant. There are scenes in there that are not in the US release DVD or theatrical. such as the introduction of the boy she spanks in the room (right after the lights are turned on upstairs and proceeds to spank him) she met him earlier. after whirling about like a dervish she is about the swing down on him but he raises his hands to show that he is unarmed. She then throws him into a rushing gang of Crazy 88s. There is also the inclusion of cutting off parts from Sofie in her trunk. While you get teh close medium shot of Sofie being stroked by Bill in the hospital you think she is afraid of bill but rather in the japanese version it is edited with a flashback where the bride tells her why she lives and that she will cut off pieces she will miss if she doesnt answer and the forcefully grabs Sofie's other arm and chops it off and the blood shoots everywhere covering the camera which id right above Uma's left shoulder looking down into the trunk. There are also scenes that are from and lead into Vol 2. at the end of the film.

As for stuff see the pictures of the Okinawa shirt Uma wears upon visiting Hanzo, there is the 1/10 scale hanzo sword and the cute rider suit bearbrick. There is also a 24 page color booklet whcih I will take pictures of later. and a discount coupon for Vol. 2.

By and large this DVD rocks the casbah.

post-26-1082623194_thumb.jpg

Edited by Solscud007

Was this movie distributed by Universal outside of the US?

yes many times other companies help with distrbution outside of the US or where the film was made. For instance: Le Pact de Loup [brotherhood of the wolves] was made by Studio Canal but to distribute in the US it was under Universal.

Uh, if anyone has a link for this thats selling at the normal yen price and not the 200 dollar over profitized kind, please forward it to me.

Or, if anyone can pick one up for me and ship it, that would be even better. PM me or something.

Gah!! THats a beautiful set.

Thanx for the review and info, I appreciate it man B)) , already wasted some of my limited funds on a few posters and action figures for this damn movie , so i should get one of these box sets 4 sure. Damn you QT and Uma.

Edited by Mechwarrior

yes many times other companies help with distrbution outside of the US or where the film was made. For instance: Le Pact de Loup [brotherhood of the wolves] was made by Studio Canal but to distribute in the US it was under Universal.

Another example is Titanic. In North America only, it was distributed by Paramount. But for the rest of the world, 20th Century Fox handled the release.

Another example is Titanic. In North America only, it was distributed by Paramount. But for the rest of the world, 20th Century Fox handled the release.

Terminator 3 is another example. U.S. distribution is by Warner Bros. while Japanese distribution is by Toho.

I just don't understand the desire for special edition DVDs like this... Why do you guys care about all that crap? I just want the movie, in fact most of my DVD cases I chuck, I just take the Disc out and put it in a binder... The cases take up too much space.

I guess when you love something you can have it on display, and you CAN do that with a DVD case if it is awesome, but the only thing that justifies that kind of treatment is my Animego Macross set.

I just don't understand the desire for special edition DVDs like this... Why do you guys care about all that crap? I just want the movie, in fact most of my DVD cases I chuck, I just take the Disc out and put it in a binder... The cases take up too much space.

you might as well just ask the studio companies to sell you the dvd unlabelled and in a ziplock bag.

i for one love the gimmicks and the thought that goes into making a beautiful package.

I guess when you love something you can have it on display, and you CAN do that with a DVD case if it is awesome, but the only thing that justifies that kind of treatment is my Animego Macross set.

I guess you can call it the "collectors mentality". Of course, you can buy the region 2 DVD by itself but when I saw the box and its content, I wanted it.

lol pfff the Macross box set is the worst looking box set I own. To each his own I guess.

you might as well just ask the studio companies to sell you the dvd unlabelled and in a ziplock bag.

I'd love that. Seriously! I find no reason to have a fancy case. If Downloading content was a worthwhile venture (the quality isn't out there) I would never buy a DVD again.

I'd love that. Seriously! I find no reason to have a fancy case. If Downloading content was a worthwhile venture (the quality isn't out there) I would never buy a DVD again.

I love the Animeigo too!!! but I dont like teh Paul Champagne DVD cover. I want a DVD cover like that of the original Macross Animeigo. I have the three separate sets. But I want one complete box set.. Like the firs release of teh animeigos. So I will make a custom Champagne box later.

i want that kill bill box but its over $130 US on ebay :(

edit - apparently tarantino has edited a complete version of the film (vol1+2) to be shown at cannes.

yeah i figured as much. it was supposed to told in its entirety

edit - apparently tarantino has edited a complete version of the film (vol1+2) to be shown at cannes.

I wonder if its a new edit or just the two films spliced together.

IIRC wasn't Kill Bill intended to be one movie? And then it was decided to be cut into 2 parts?

I wonder if its a new edit or just the two films spliced together.

IIRC wasn't Kill Bill intended to be one movie? And then it was decided to be cut into 2 parts?

From Aintitcool.com

I got the chance to attend the Kill Bill: Volume 2 press conference at the Conrad Hotel, London yesterday for Film-Reviews.Net . In attendance were Michael Madson, Darryl Hannah, David Carodine and Uma Thurman. It was cool seeing the actors, though David Carrodine seemed intent on telling us his life story.  After a Q and A session with the actors, they set up a live satalite link up with Quentin Tarantino. I was one of the lucky few that got to ask Quentin a question. I asked him whether he had plans to re-edit Kill Bill: Volume 1 and 2 back together. He went on to explain about the Japanese versions of both films that were released, which had all of the violent scenes in full colour (House of Blue Leaves etc). Quentin retained the distribution rights to both parts. He then revealed to me that he had already edited both volumes back together and would be premiering the complete film on the last day of the Cannes Film Festival this year! You heard it here first! 

Not spliced but re-edited, as he intended it to be in the first place. It was Miramax's decision to release the 4 hour film as Part 1 and Part 2. He's already promised a "complete" box set with cut footage, color fight scene, etc in Region 1.

But I doubt seriously that we'll get this kinda packaging. Which is fine by me. I'm running out of DVD space as it is.

question: does it have english subtitles for the non english dialogue? Or the english subtitles are there during the whole movie?

um im having a hard time understanding what you are asking. But yes the english subs are for EVERYTHING spoken [english and japanese]