Manga Entertainment Updates Site

Well, for us fans of Aim for the Top! Gunbuster, it looks as if we may never get the promised US released version after all. After looking through their entire site, Gunbuster is no longer to be found in their catalogue. They have a page full of their older anime releases, and Gunbuster is gone. This does not bode well for those of us who are fans.

I have the feeling that Manga may have lost the license for the series, or that they have decided not to renew it because of its status as an older anime title. That's all well and good, but considering they still have Dangaio (A series I liked, but which I feel is inferior to Gunbuster), I was hoping they would have eventually released this show. Maybe it's just as well that they haven't considering how badly they butchered Dangiao.

I am bummed. Maybe I haven't got anything to be bummed about, but then again... I was really hoping to see my favorite series released here in the US on DVD legitimately. Now I'm stuck with an inferior translation by US Renditions on VHS. I may just have to break out my laserdiscs and work on getting a fansub done.

I REALLY believe GunBuster WILL be on R1. If not through Manga, then through another company. Gainax shows don't stay unliscensed for long. Please believe it.

I knew Manga Blew when they didn't get Anamorphic Widescreen on titles that deserved it, and put it on a title that didn't need it.

Further proof that Mangle sucks.

:angry:

Most UK fans would probably agree that the VHS release of Gunbuster is in fact better than the DVD release - partly because no effort appears to have been made at all, and partly because the bath scene was was edited in such an unsubtle manner they'd have been better off using a rusty nail scratched across the masters...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Hopefully the liscence expired and someone else can release it soon.

As long as it's not in manga vault limbo.

First off, the Region 2 DVD release pushed by Kiseki Films is a direct rip of the VHS subtitled version of US Rendition's original release. Anyone who has been a long time fan of the series can tell you that the translation leaves something to be desired, as at certain points it's inaccurate. And as previously mentioned, Kiseki's cutting out the bathing scene in episode 2 just to garner a rating so it could be sold to a younger audience is just plain idiotic.

As for Manga's Keith What's-His-Face, do not believe him. He has been lying to every Gunbuster fan since the DVD format came out. That proposed August release date has been something he has been pulling out of his ass for the last few years.

I am happy with the Japanese DVD's and laserdiscs I have, but I would prefer a new subtitled version eventually.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Hey all, after sending a few e-mails off to some of the more reputable anime distributors, I actually got a reply from a Robert Woodward over at AnimEigo, who stated that he would be VERY (his emphasis) interested in finding out if Manga has indeed lost the license to Gunbuster. He assured me that he would check on the matter and let me know. Let's hope he lives up to his promise and checks back with me. Maybe we can finally get somewhere with this.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been pretty much confirmed by now. Gunbuster is now out of print with Manga Entertainment and no new release is ever planned. This sucks for those of us who live here in the United States.

All we have to do now is figure out how we are going to get another company to acquire the license. Anyone out there have any ideas?

I'm sorry about the horrible news Noriko Takaya, I know you've been following this news for years (ever since the old MW Forums).

What a let down. :(

My hatred for Manga grows.

Why do they take good titles and bury them like they do? By all rights they shouldn't even be in business. I mean, what do they have that actually nets them new profit at this point? It's ridiculous, then they sit on a liscense and don't do anything. Then drag out the ones they do release for no reason.

I can only hope more liscenses expire and can be yanked out from under them, like Giant Robo's finding a new home.

Well, it's been pretty much confirmed by now. Gunbuster is now out of print with Manga Entertainment and no new release is ever planned. This sucks for those of us who live here in the United States.

All we have to do now is figure out how we are going to get another company to acquire the license. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Seems like a no-brainer for ADV. They've had plenty of sucess with Gainax releases thus far.

You could always email any company and let them know there are fans here in the US that would love a Gunbuster release.

And - folks, let's not get into the "this anime company sucks and this one rules and this one screwed up my favorite anime"... I think we can all agree that any company (even Mangle) releasing Gunbuster would be better than none at all.

Man, that really sucks. Gunbuster was one of the first anime titles I collected before I became a Macross Plus mark. I hope either AnimEigo, Bandai or Geneon pick it up. Even though they have a lot of great titles, I can't trust ADV with re-releasing Gunbuster.

Well, if Robert Woodhead is still very interested, maybe that'll solve all the problems. Bug Animeigo to pick it up. :)

Well, if Robert Woodhead is still very interested, maybe that'll solve all the problems. Bug Animeigo to pick it up. :)

Word.