1/60 FAST packs

RTShark

Hi all.

I own a 1/60 Focker Skull One that did not come with FAST packs.

A friend of mine wants to buy the 1/60 Hikaru style 1J that comes with FAST packs, but doesn't want the FAST packs.

I do know that Yamato didn't design all of the 1/60s to mount the FAST packs so I'm asking here: Would I be able to mount these FAST packs onto my Skull-One?

If yes, great. If not, can I do so with some modifications? If so, how extensive would these mods be?

Thanks!

You'll need to modify the legs (back/top with slots and the outer sides with 2 holes). The backpack will need two slots on each side for the boosters. The "elbow" area would need a notch carved out and the "wrist" area also, to accomidate the tabs for the armor.

It seems really prone to error IMO.

And Yamato has let the plans to make upgrade kits fade into vaporware. <_<

Uxi Posted on Apr 9 2004, 05:49 PM

And Yamato has let the plans to make upgrade kits fade into vaporware.

My feelings exactly, UXI! I was kinda hoping I'd be able to dress up my VF-1S, too! :angry:

Hey, RTSHARK, ya can always put up an order for the GBP-ARMOR if yer not able to do any modifications on yer VF-1S!! :D;)

And Yamato has let the plans to make upgrade kits fade into vaporware. <_<

My guess is that it probably always has been vaporware

only thing we ever saw was a pic of the 1J FP-compatible parts

now if a pic of the feet of some samurai-mecha makes MWers go nuts about the

Köning Monster being released

seeing parts of an existing FP-equipped Valk makes them confident upgradeparts

for the 1/60 will be released :rolleyes:

If there was ever any thoughts of upgrading, Yamato wouldn't have released the Roy Strike Valk

It was my understanding that all Valkyries issued prior to the Hikaru's VF-1J Super were incompatible with FAST Packs:

VF-1A Valkyrie (Hikaru Ichijo's Custom)

VF-1S Valkyrie (Roy Fokker's Custom)

VF-1A Valkyrie (Max Jenius' Custom)

VF-1A Valkyrie (Production) (TRU Japan)

VF-1A Valkyrie (Production)

(Of course, this is also the case for the VE-1 and VT-1.)

Before I even owned a Yamato, I was also thinking of doing a mod on the CF that was on its way to me.

Figured I would just go get one of those Dremel things and drill-drill-drill in all the right spots. :)

I then got a Hikaru Super and realized that I wouldn't just have to make the appropriate holes in the plastic areas, but the METAL LEGS TOO!! :unsure:

I then said "Oh, POO!" and let the dream slip away due to my inability to have any confidence with a power tool near my Valk.....or my appendages for that matter. :blink:

It was my understanding that all Valkyries issued prior to the Hikaru's VF-1J Super were incompatible with FAST Packs:

VF-1A Valkyrie (Hikaru Ichijo's Custom)

VF-1S Valkyrie (Roy Fokker's Custom)

VF-1A Valkyrie (Max Jenius' Custom)

VF-1A Valkyrie (Production) (TRU Japan)

VF-1A Valkyrie (Production)

(Of course, this is also the case for the VE-1 and VT-1.)

Actually, the VF-1A CF Valkyrie (Production) is oddly half equipped for armor. The backpack piece is fully booster capable, but unfortunately the legs and arms are not.

I believe it has something to do with the transition for Yamato in making FP capable 1/60's from non-FP capable 1/60's.

But to be fair to those grousing... Yamato told us all from the beginning that the 1/60 releases would NOT be FP capable, until the Super 1J was released.

I'm just glad my VF-1D is FP capable... he swiped the Hikaru 1J's armor... now the nakked 1J is waiting patiently for his GBP armor. ;)

Edited by Blaine23

My guess is that it probably always has been vaporware

only thing we ever saw was a pic of the 1J FP-compatible parts

Oh there was definately consideration. Those pictures were coupled with a poll on their website asking the preference of minimal parts vs a more complete swap kit (whole legs IIRC).

It would have been a mark of loyalty to the fans who to release the upgrades and we would have paid for the costs. But it wasn't to be.

I would prefer Yamato just started doing more 1/60 Super Valkyries (at least a CF if nothing else), though I'd prefer they revised the line before doing so, incorporating some 1/48 elements (at least the telescoping feet, radome, and flaps, if not the transformation). I personally can live with removable legs. It's not like a 1/48 can transform in any semblence of the time it takes in the anime. ;)

Actually, the VF-1A CF Valkyrie (Production) is oddly half equipped for armor.  The backpack piece is fully booster capable, but unfortunately the legs and arms are not.

That's funny Blaine (but not funny 'ha-ha'). My non-TRU CF Valks have the FP arms and FP left legs, but the backpack and right legs are not FP capable out of the box. I've heard of CFs with the FP type backpack, but I have yet to see one. I guess they used whatever was available during that transitional period.

Uxi, I agree. I think the telescoping feet are really the one 1/48 design trait that really should have been included in the 1/60s. The others you mention would be nice too.

:unsure: So has any one actually make the process of drilling and cutting a VF-1 non fast pack to make it compatible?

Yes, I moded the backpack of the production CF (arms and legs are already capable to accomodate Fast Packs).

To set the record straight:

There are no "non TRU" CF with Fast Pack capable backpacks.

I guess I will wait till I go back home to make my Vf-1A fast pack compatible...

Edited:

I seem to remember that the Vf-1A Hikaru and probably the other non fast pack had like a marks on the Leg pieces that show the place where hole would need to be drilled to make it compatible.

Edited by RichterX

• 3 weeks later...
So no one has actually cut pieces out and drilled the holes to adapt non fast packs to fast packs

I did. ;)

Decided to just go ahead and try it.

Through the combined efforts of a Dremel and a Power drill...

I also decided to just up and glue the pieces on. I got most of them to stay on fine by themselves, but one of the arm pieces I took a little bit too much out of the elbow area of the arm.

It did work though and I now have FAST packs attached to my old style VF-1S.