is it just me or is Max's VF-1S is purple-striped

treatment

Is it just me?

I was watching DYRL (for the nth time) and it just occurred to me. I don't have the dvd's with me right now, but I thought I saw Max's VF-1S as purple-striped, rather than the blue-stripes he's got with his 1A. I know there a shots of his VF-1S as having blue-stripes, too. His helmet was also purple while piloting his VF-1S.

I guess I was wondering also why his Q-Rau was purplish instead of Blue-ish.

Edited by treatment

Why would the color look different between scenes on the same DVD on the same TV?

I haven't checked it out myself but it wouldn't be the first color inconsistency in DYRL.

The color being off is different than the color being wrong. Hikaru has a red heatshield one second, then a black the next... Example of something wrong.

Shading mistakes include Focker having a grey VF one second, then a whiter color the next. I really don't think Max's blue varied enough to really call it a mistake. I have probably seen that movie 100 times.

Get a new TV, the color is off.

I actually first noticed from my monitors (19" crt and lcd). Video-cards are ati, nvidia and matrox.

Then I checked it on my tv's (sony and toshiba).

Same purplish stuff instead of the prominent blue of the Max-1A.

borrowing a pic from here:

post-2-1080945705_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

A1, it doesn't matter if you call it a mistake or a variation--whatever treatment is seeing has to be due to a variation on the DVD. It may be accentuated by his monitor, though.

That said, I'm afraid the pic of Max's helmet isn't a good choice because cartoons sometimes use color variation in lieue of shading. (For example, the use of blue to represent shiny black in hair highlights or on Batman's costume.)

Anyway, here's a pic of Max's 1S, snagged from another thread. Now we need a 1A shot if we want to even start making a comparison.

PDVD_001.JPG

Yeah. It's light-blue/purplish. Watch the Kakazaki death scene again. It's a much different shade than what we originally see him in his VF-1A. Also it seems that Max and Kakazaki's helmet's are both the same shade of blue in the beginning.

As to whether or not it's a mistake? I'm not sure. it could simply be an intended effect due to the low-lighting in the scene, but who knows.

I think it's safe to assume that it's possible Max got a slightly different shade when he took over Skull.

Regarding the lighting, it might be worth noting that Max's VF-1A is only seen in outer space; the VF-1S is inside the atmosphere. Differences in light diffusion and contrast. Differences in refraction, too. Haze could also lessen the apparent intensity of colors.

I actually first noticed from my monitors (19" crt and lcd). Video-cards are ati, nvidia and matrox.

That looks like blue to me.

That looks like blue to me.

Like I said, watch the same scene before Kakizaki is killed off. His blue* is much darker than Max's, although in the begining, their blue's are the same.

* although it's interesting that, in the movie, Kakizaki is the only one who's helmet (blue) doesn't match his VF (green). Hmmm...

Then how come Kakizaki's helmet, in the same lighting, is still a dark blue?

Someone's got to take a screen shot right before this part where Kakizaki gets hit.

maxhelmet.jpg

You'll see a VERY noticeable difference in the helmet colors between Max and Kakizaki, a difference that simple lighting cannot account for.

Edited by the white drew carey

Then how come Kakizaki's helmet, in the same lighting, is still a dark blue?

Someone's got to take a screen shot right before this part where Kakizaki gets hit.

maxhelmet.jpg

You'll see a VERY noticeable difference in the helmet colors between Max and Kakizaki, a difference that simple lighting cannot account for.

Also keep in mind that we're looking at Max and Hayao through Hikaru's comlink displays of the two. That along with the amount of light coming from the other end of the comlink could explain the discolorations of the helmets.

I doubt it. The light source throughout that whole scene is fairly constant, and physically cannot vary that much in such a small space as well as stay constant (ie-shadows from a cloud on Kakizaki but not on Max).

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced it is intentional that Max has a new shade of blue, and that it is not an effect of lighting or an animation mistake.

Like I said, watch the same scene before Kakizaki is killed off. His blue* is much darker than Max's, although in the begining, their blue's are the same

Actually, in the beginning of the movie, Max's is blue while Kakizaki's is actually more of a turqoise.

Actually, in the beginning of the movie, Max's is blue while Kakizaki's is actually more of a turqoise.

Hmm... they looked the same to me.

They also seem to have the same helmet color in the DYRL game intro, as well.

I terribly wish I had opted for the DVD player on my Mac, so I could do screengrabs of this stuff.

Holy cow... discrepency?

I was watching the DYRL game intro and noticed something goofy... after the carrier is hit, they show everyone reacting (Hikaru's shocked, Kakizaki's freaked, Roy's ticked and Max is aloof).

Anyhow, they then show Hikaru in his cockpit with (presumably) Max and then Kakizaki to his right. Example:

Hikaru

Wingman 1

Wingman 2

Anyhow, In one scene, you see that the furthest VF (wingman 2) has blue accents. So I guessed it was Max. But then in the next shot when they peel off, the closest VF (wingman 1) also has blue accents! So do both Max and Kakizaki have blue accents in the game?

Given, my footage is bad, but I watched it sveral times and couldn't make heads or tails of it. Anyone else want to take a shot at it and see if I just crazy?

Up until recently I thought Max had a blueish gray helmet and Kakizaki had dark blue. Then I saw a model of Kakizaki's VF-1 I was surprised it had green stripes. The coloration is hard to tell on them due to their lack of appearances in the movie. Though Max is blue and Kakizaki is green. That's the way it's suppossed to be. Even though in that scene Max looks like gray/purple and Kakizaki blue. It all has to do with lighting. Max's Valkyrie also looks tan instead of white/gray. The lighting changes the colors.

Randy

I doubt it. The light source throughout that whole scene is fairly constant, and physically cannot vary that much in such a small space as well as stay constant (ie-shadows from a cloud on Kakizaki but not on Max).

It's blue. There are plenty more images from the Gold Book to back it up.

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced it is intentional that Max has a new shade of blue, and that it is not an effect of lighting or an animation mistake.

If you flip through the Gold Book, Skull Squadron's colors vary depending on which portion of the movie you're looking at. For example, in some scenes Hikaru's red stripe turns from red to blood red. And yes, it is animation inconsistency. The movie (more than likely) was not animated in sequential order with several teams working on it at once. It's preposterous to expect 100% animation consistency in a film that was hand-drawn twenty years ago.

As for the Max & Kakizaki display pictures, they were probably animated on seperate cels by different people.

post-2-1081742142_thumb.jpg