X-Plane

KingNor

i'm thinking about getting a copy of this sim.

i'd like to know what you guys think about it.

any of you mod it out?

i'm reading up on their website about a MARS mod that looks really cool, also the guy on the site is talking about thrust and weight and gliders. he brought up a spaceshuttles rocket propelling a boeing 737 strait up at 3 G's indefinetly.

anyone here know how to make the sim have a space shuttle engine on a 737?

see where i'm going here?

also i'm intrested in flying macross planes like the yf-19 and VF-1 if possible.

anyone know about these sort of things?

if you can answer my questions then cool, but this can be a general X-Plane topic if you want, i just want random cool info about this sim.

I have it but it never really held my interest.

It is a good sim though. Tons of customization available and as far as I could tell, good physics.

It's the only flight sim that has modeled the whole earth including space and even a few other planets as well... Very far reaching with it's abilities.

Vostok 7

i got the demo, but it's very alien to me. there is no "set up " screen to either pick settings or planes, it just dumps me into a fully powered up and idleing 777.

and it doesn't recognize my joystick.

is it this difficult to use in the retail version?

is the YF-19 included in the retail game or would i have to go find it someplace?

There are sites around for the aircraft. There is no "setup" screen from the start in the retail version IIRC (maybe there was... it's been awhile) but you can access all the options via a dropdown menu. You have to set up a joystick too. It came with a giant manual as well.

I'll reply to your PM in a bit and I'll scour through my favorites to see if I can find some links.

Vostok 7

Hmm I've been a a fan of the sim for sometime now. and from what I've experienced and from I've read on their forums. the simulation aspect is by far the most accurate in this sim. Real pilots use the sim to practice. and its being used to test experimental planes with it (charter copter). heh even Cessna makes models of their planes so you can test them in Xplane.

Its been certified by the FAA for flight training. so if you have access to a Full motion base and you hire someone to teach you, your flight time logged in the sim is valid towards your pilot certificate.

The sim also brings all the editors necessary to make/modify your planes, the terrain, even the wing airfoils. Theres a lot you can do with the sim. you can make basically anything you can think off in the plane maker and try to see if it flies. yeah so you can change the 747s engines to have the power of the shuttles and try it.( hmm four 400,000 pound engines on a 747...insanee!)

and its always getting updated with new versions patches, they are all free till the next version.

Edited by mk16

but you can access all the options via a dropdown menu.

how do i make this drop down menu come up, i can't seem to access it, i'v pressed damn near every button on the keyboard.

and its always getting updated with new versions patches, they are all free till the next version.

hold on... I know I'm totally misunderstanding what this sentence means... but does this mean I have to pay for every new version of the game?

hold on... I know I'm totally misunderstanding what this sentence means... but does this mean I have to pay for every new version of the game?

Every upgrade of a version is free. Every version change costs. So, if you buy a copy of version 6.0, every upgrade after that, for instance, 6.1, 6.5, 6.82, etc. is free... But when it changes version to version 7.0, they charge... And usually it's not very much for the version upgrade.

Vostok 7

Bought it, tried it when it first came out. Very dissappointed! It's based on a Mac platform. I had to do alot of tweaking for my PC, still was not worth it. Not user friendly, and does not accept default calibration. I like realism, and this game does offer that , but only as interface is concerned, however the graphics just suck. There are lots of mods for the game, but even still not worth it. For what I paid for the game, I coulda got the Microsoft Flight Sim which has everything, well at least the version I have now (Microsoft Flight Sim 2002), but if there is a newer version then the one I purchased a couple years ago, it has to be better. Demo version available?

how do i make this drop down menu come up, i can't seem to access it, i'v pressed damn near every button on the keyboard.

I believe you Hover the mouse pinter over top of your screen.. I can really remember its been a while since ive used it...(hmm bad motherboard blowout I cant run the game right now) or hit s and hover.

This YF-19 might wokr, ive updated this for the version of xplane i could use 7.10. Well if it doesnt work you can try batch convert in planemaker.

YF_19.zip

Edited by mk16

Has anyone else had any trouble running this on a PC as opposed to a Mac??

This thing looks cool, but I don't want to have to hassle with it too much.... Install and go is what I like... :p

I believe you Hover the mouse pinter over top of your screen.. I can really remember its been a while since ive used it...(hmm bad motherboard blowout I cant run the game right now) or hit s and hover.

This YF-19 might wokr, ive updated this for the version of xplane i could use 7.10. Well if it doesnt work you can try batch convert in planemaker.

this imports, but for some reason it's unable to climb or dive.

dunno whats wrong with it, its control surfaces seem to be working.

weird.

I suspect you imported it into plane maker then.. thats what i understand from what you said. Theres really nothing mysterious about that, usually some really old planes from a previous version are imported but often broken somehow and thats always workable ( yes one thing you'll learn about using xplane is that knowing a bit about the technical side of planes is always helpful.) i guess you're using xplane 7-30 i was using xplane 7.01-beta to fix the plane which is probably why is not working right. you're lucky that its still loads, it was really a bad nightmare trying to make it work from the last version file format. I can t really help you out right now. since i cant run the sim, im in the process of getting a new motherboard so maybe in a week or so :\

It's the only flight sim that has modeled the whole earth including space and even a few other planets as well...  Very far reaching with it's abilities.

Not quite the only flight sim to model the whole of Earth and other planets...

The 'Orbiter' sim is open source and has modeled much of the solar system. It has atmospheric flight models as well as space launch and space flight simulation. Orbiter is very technical in nature, allowing the user to build/design/construct craft and missions with near-limitless scope.

Orbiter

WARNING - PHD not required, but highly recommended :ph34r:

*edited bad url*

Edited by Hiriyu

The 'Orbiter' sim is open source and has modeled much of the solar system. It has atmospheric flight models as well as space launch and space flight simulation.

Finally... the heir to the long forgotten (and sorely missed) Microsoft Space Simulator. Anyone else here remembers that one? :unsure:

I suspect you imported it into plane maker then.. thats what i understand from what you said. Theres really nothing mysterious about that, usually some really old planes from a previous version are imported but often broken somehow and thats always workable ( yes one thing you'll learn about using xplane is that knowing a bit about the technical side of planes is always helpful.) i guess you're using xplane 7-30 i was using xplane 7.01-beta to fix the plane which is probably why is not working right. you're lucky that its still loads, it was really a bad nightmare trying to make it work from the last version file format. I can t really help you out right now. since i cant run the sim, im in the process of getting a new motherboard so maybe in a week or so :\

i didn't try to fix it at all, i opened it directly into X-Plane. i dont' know how to use the editor.

if someone could fix this i'd HIGHLY appreciate it, since i don't have the technical know how to do it myself. its a very well done model though. could use more work on the texture side but it looks good enough. just needs to be able to nose up and down. :huh: