What's the purpose of the removable nose cone?

fifbeat

What's the purpose of the removable nose cone? (1/48, obviously)

I mean, it's not like it's all detailed in there once you take it out; it's just a little black plastic thingy... in fact, I'd rather have it non-removable -- cuz I remember the thing kinda coming off during transfomations.

Am I missing something here?

Edited by fifbeat

It is removable to display the Radar radome underneath. Unfortunately it was kind of added as an afterthought and the radome doesn't have much in the way of detail.

If (*IF*) Yamato makes a 1/48 GBP kit, it will almost NEED to have the nosecone off in order to make it look right, the nose is really long.

Thanks, guys.

However, if the removable nose will be "useful" for the 1/48's; then how are they going to manage it for the "upcoming" 1/60 GBP armor?

Are they gonna equip the armor with a hacksaw? :)

Riddle me this, batmen...

Oh ok, I did say think :D ..So its to guide the missiles.

In the case of the F-14 you'd be partially correct. The Phoenix missile's radar is semi-active during initial flight, using the returns from the Tomcat's radar. I.e., the Tomcat sends out radar waves, they bounce off the target, and the Phoenix picks them up. When it gets closer, the Phoenix relies entirely on its internal radar.

But in general, the radar housed in the nose of a fighter like a VF-1 serves a much broader role than just guiding missiles. It tells the pilot who's out there, where they are, where they're going and how fast. It also lets the pilot select targets and hand off the information to the missiles' internal tracking systems before launch.

Edited by ewilen

Well, sometimes "extra" things aren't always good.

*cough* lit-up heads *cough*

yeah I agree,

I don't think it's a prominent feature in valks as much as it is on a gundam. I don't recall a specific moment where eyes lit up in Macross (maybe reflecting light but not being a source of). And even in gundam toy line 99.99% (maybe even 100%) of them don't have light up eyes.

As for the nose cone... I dont think it was made for a probable GBP addon to fit better... It's clearly to add more detail (even though it looks pretty cheesy)... It's possible yamato could use that feature for the benefit of the GBP but I dont think it was included there because of it.

So, IF it IS for the Armour, then how would the armour work on the 1/60s?

Because the 1/60 nose isn't as long.

We're not going to get 100% accuracy as far as the GBP goes...

even if it's on the 1/48. I'm sure yamato will figure it out... that's what they get paid for...

and oh, almost forgot... IT's NOT even announced or planned yet! :D

we're getting ahead of ourselves here...

Thanks for the answer, shin. In that case, I have another question:

Why is there a very tight retention mechanism for the swingbar/armature, if it is intended to be fit loose?

I'm wondering, because on my [now departed] 1/48, I was not able to rotate the waist joint *at all* with the swingbar engaged... What am I missing (besides the obvious :lol: )?

I think it was just an idea that didn't work out as well as they hoped but enough for them to leave it in... i.e. no one cried and had fits about it.

Thank you, sage Jawa, for the information :)

May I be the first to cry and have a fit about it then? :p