Newbie Questions!

capezio11

Shiiiittt.....and my 1/48 VF-1S with F/P is on a shelf 8 feet from the ground in gerwalk mode. I hope it doesn't take a plunge like yours....despite you promoting its durability  How does one like you keep making it fall from high places anyway? Wind blew it? Cat got to it?

nephew. 7 years old. doesn't understand the meaning of the words: don't touch. oddly, parents understand the words: if he breaks it, you owe me 200 dollars.

i own a VF-1S 1/48 yamato, not going to bash any other brands, just going to give a review....

the details are SUPERB, its as detailed as those airfix models, its more of model quality than that of a toy

its quite durable IMO, but there are some lose parts....like the flap on the front landing gear...whatever you call that, but its super-minor....

its SUPER-ARTICULATE, yes, really, just twist the limbs however you want it(not too much though...) even if u twist the legs to an A-shape, the thing still can stand firm, cos the feet of the robot can be angled to a certain extent too, i think there's a photo of this on this website, anyone care to post?

so the 1/48 is 1)beautiful 2)'playable' 3)posable

i've SEEN the MPC before, it has some 'cool' features, like lighting up of eyes, and looks good on its own.....at least in battledroid mode, the one i saw it in... no real experience of it, but according to the users here, i won't take chances of buying it....it looks good on its own though....

but IMHO, which might be wrong, which is open to debate, which is relative and which is not absolute, the MPC looks pathetic as compared to the yamato, as shown in the pic someone posted here, and even the battledorid looks like.....a toy(MPC) next to a very accurate model(yamato) once u compare the MPC and the yamato(maybe the lighting was better for the yamato...or maybe i'm biased, so don't flame me)

IMHO, i think if ur getting the MPC, either place it on its own, or don't get it at all, the 1/60's yamato look better too...IMHO.....

I don't have an MPC and I've only seen them in the box or on the Internet but I'm sure the general consensus would be that the Toynami MPC is far, far below the quality, detail,

That is the problem, you dont have it... Dont put ideas into peoples mind based on "general opinion". Let him decide on non bias reviews from collectors (not Yamato purest) who collects a variety of Macross/Robotech toys.

OK, well I do have it (it being Volume 4 MPC, the Max 1J) and it *sucks*. Supposedly a lot of the QC issues were worked out by Volume 4 and I gotta say that if I got one of the good ones I feel really bad for anybody who got one of the bad ones.

I'm kind of a Yamato Purist, but only because Toynami made me into one. I gave them more than a fair shot by buying their product and ended up being very disapointed in it. I still like my old Bandai Valk from the 80s and have a soft spot for it, but I don't see buying any of the reissues.

Please... at all cost. Avoid the Toynami macross products. It's a personal opinion, but it's hands on experience.

I did disagree at 1st, just because the MPC's could be had for $30-$40 and for that, I believe they are an excellent buy. as far as them being fragle, thats completly not true. But with the rising prices, they are becoming not a good buy and for that fact and that fact only. True they arnt the greatest sculpt, but they have more content and a better sculpt then the Bandai's, but the ease of transformation on the bandais and the test over time, i think its the best plane out. Dont get me wrong, i love my 1/48 yammies. but i wouldnt touch a 1/60 scale yammie, ill take my MPC's over them, swing bars or not, none of the components are broken on any of mine and I have them all and some doubles. So, in short heres my opinion

1)get a Bandai, for the money its a hell of a valk and you can pass it on to your kids

2nd)get a MPC, again for cheap, DO NOT pay full price,,,about 1/2 retail is good

3rd)Get a 1/48, VERY COSTLY, but the sculpt and posability is unsurpassed, then you will get addicted to owning them and have to have them all

4th) get a couple banprestoes, for the hell of it

the 1/48 is my personal favorite, but they have a hefty pricetag and they are worth it to me

All in all, get one of each, you can allways sell them and come up with your own decisions. BTW if anyone wants to get rid of thier MPC's for cheap, let me know, looking for more Roys

I have no idea where the fragile thing comes from. Yes ither is some QC issues but ALL my MPC are great, they are even stronger than the Yamatos is some cases. Yes, the $70 price for a MPC is way to high, bit I All mine for under $50, I got the red $ blue set with fastpacks for $100. Speeking of the FPs, the Toynami FPs are way bore detailed than the Yamatos.

Wow, thanks a lot everyone.

I think I'll go with the 1/48 Yamato. The Toynami's front landing gear is F'd and the whole front end is a little out of wack from the chest plate on. The part I really don't like on the MPC is the metal "hinge" thing that attaches the legs to the fuselage.

I have one last question: Does anyone know of a store in the Washington, DC area where I can look at the various toys in person?

From a completist point, it's too late to start an MPC collection because the (gulp)Rick *shudders* MPC prices have gone to ridiculous heights. :rolleyes: quality aside, they be ugly mofos, where the 1/48s are eye magnets.

Here's my point of view... save your money... don't spend it on toys. Who needs toys?

Instead, take all your cash (and trust me, once you start buying them, you'll be sucked in like the rest of us and buy tons) and walk away. You've still got a chance, brother.

Then accumulate that cash over a few months. And buy... a monkey.

Yep, a real monkey. They can do things, like fetch beers and remote controls. They're a close companion for when times are rough. Don't worry about poo - most of them can wear a diaper. Sure, you gotta change it... but what a little diaper changing compared to worrying about chipped paint, yellowing, and keeping up with all the valk toys that come out?

It's just an opinion, probably won't be that popular... but if someone offered me a good, beer fetching monkey... I might give up my valk collection.

Okay... not ALL my collection. I'd keep my Yamato 1/48 VF-1S Roy w/ the FAST packs. I can't give that one up.

I guess that tells you which valk you should get. Even a good trained monkey couldn't make me give up that valk. ;)

post-4-1080233579.jpg

Edited by Blaine23

I have no idea where the fragile thing comes from. Yes ither is some QC issues but ALL my MPC are great, they are even stronger than the Yamatos is some cases. Yes, the $70 price for a MPC is way to high, bit I All mine for under $50, I got the red $ blue set with fastpacks for $100. Speeking of the FPs, the Toynami FPs are way bore detailed than the Yamatos.

I completely agree, the MPC fastpacks are more boring than the yamato fast packs. :p

But seriously, there's no way you can say the MPC fastpacks are more detailed... even leaving out the strike cannon... you know that the yamato FP's have removable covers for the missile launchers... and have little removable missiles for that compartment, right?

Speeking of the FPs, the Toynami FPs are way bore detailed than the Yamatos.

I've never seen the MPC FP's in person so... I can see how they are probably more detailed than 1/60 Yamato FP's, but...

as for 1/48 Yamato FP comparison.. the 1/48 FP's are pretty well detailed, and I'm skeptical that the MPC fast packs are WAY more detailed than what the 1/48 Fast Packs detail level is... if at all.

So... show pictures of MPC FP in comparison to 1/48 Yamato FP please.

Blaine... you can't have a Mr. Rourke without a Tattoo!

MPC's Fast Packs more detailed...?

HAHAHAHA!

If I couldn't afford a 1/48, I would still get the FPs. :p

Hello my little friend!

Smiles, smiles everyone!

I guess I don't need a monkey, if I got Tattoo!

I've never seen the MPC FP's in person so... I can see how they are probably more detailed than 1/60 Yamato FP's, but...

This I could believe, but just barely.

as for 1/48 Yamato FP comparison.. the 1/48 FP's are pretty well detailed, and I'm skeptical that the MPC fast packs are WAY more detailed than what the 1/48 Fast Packs detail level is... if at all

I can make out more detail in the *pictures* of the 1/48 FPs (I don't have a set of FPs for my 1/48 Valkyrie yet) than I can in the *actual* MPC FP set that I own and have seen in person and close up.

I can make out more detail in the *pictures* of the 1/48 FPs (I don't have a set of FPs for my 1/48 Valkyrie yet) than I can in the *actual* MPC FP set that I own and have seen in person and close up.

I believe RTShark just put the MPC FP Vs. Yamato 1/48 FP to rest... him being a MPC FP owner too!

That being said. I can't in good conscience recommend any Toynami valk over the Yamato 1/48's to a newbie.

I would rather own 1 1/48 with fast packs, than 3 Toynami MPC's

And yes, I've seen the MPC, held it, transformed it... so the "never seen an MPC" counter doesn't apply.

Borrowing some pictures of 1/48 FP from Tamim

yam48fpkit-2.jpg

yam48fpkit-3.jpg

yam48fpkit-4.jpg

Edited by soze

I would rather own 1 1/48 with fast packs, than 3 Toynami MPC's

Id rather have them ALL muhaha, but im a completist, i even like the banprestoes, i really do like the MPC's, but to compare them to a 1/48 NFWOTGE! the 1/48 beats the shiet out of everything out thier, but compared to the 1/60,,,sorry, but id take the MPC YGTFR!

i like acronyms today B's :p

GET THEM ALL :angry::rolleyes:

Don't be disappointed, because the "head part" does not transform into another small airplane. The cockpit and nose section does separate, but doesn't make a "small airplane." If you think about it, if this feature was incorporated into the 1/48, there would probably be lots of complaints about the part falling out.

if u guys still remember hikaru riding this during his escape...sorry for picture badly drawn...hopefully in later days can get advance valkerie toy fuction like this

post-4-1080248083_thumb.jpg

Edited by alvaro

Don't be disappointed, because the "head part" does not transform into another small airplane. The cockpit and nose section does separate, but doesn't make a "small airplane." If you think about it, if this feature was incorporated into the 1/48, there would probably be lots of complaints about the part falling out.

if u guys still remember hikaru riding this during his escape...sorry for picture badly drawn

You mean the fan racer?

I believe RTShark just put the MPC FP Vs. Yamato 1/48 FP to rest... him being a MPC FP owner too!

The only reason I bought the Toynami Fast Pack was basically as a favor to the guy who owns my local comic shop (he'd special ordered it for someone who then backed out)... In return I got a slight discount on it. Figured it might make my MPC look a little better. ;)

The Toynami FPs actually are better than I'd expected based on the quality of my MPC, though they still have issues. One of the leg armors on mine refused to stay on no matter what. Even sitting perfectly still on the shelf in Gerwalk (the only mode where the MPC looks even halfway decent, IMO) the leg piece just absolutely refused to stay on.

Of course, now that I have my 1/48, MPC and Fast Pack are back in their boxes in the back room.

My 1/48 and 80s Bandai now share the shelf space that used to hold my MPC and 1/60 Yamato, and my 1/60 has come to my office to help keep my desk at work safe from invading aliens. :)

For the record, I would take ANY Yamato or Bandai over the MPC. And I own at least one example of each except for the Bandai HCM...

wad it call i not too sure.

it's was the masterbody of valkerie explode(fighter plane mod/maybe gerwalk) n he was saved using this function.

Actually that was just part of a nightmare Hikaru was having. The VF-1D cockpit just sorta morphs into his Fanracer.

wad it call i not too sure.

it's was the masterbody of valkerie explode(fighter plane mod/maybe gerwalk) n he was saved using this function.

Actually that was just part of a nightmare Hikaru was having. The VF-1D cockpit just sorta morphs into his Fanracer.

Thanks VF5SS! That's what I was gonna say, but I can't quite find the words to describe it.

Alvaro, I think you're misremembering and combining two or three separate incidents.

In episode 3, Hikaru and Minmay are stuck in a damaged VF-1D, so Roy ejects the front cockpit "escape capsule" and attaches it to the arm of his VF-1S to bring them back to the Macross.

Later in the episode, Hikaru and Minmay get into his fan racer, which he flew onto Macross island at the beginning of episode 1 and which Roy has saved for him. They fly out of the Macross but are carried along with it when it folds into outer space. They then fly it back into the Macross.

In a much later episode ("Phantasm") Hikaru has a dream while lying in the hospital. At one point in the dream, he ejects the front cockpit "escape capsule" of the Valkyrie he's flying, and it morphs into his fan racer.

Some illustrations of how the ejection capsule works can be found at http://manuals.macrossmecha.org/vf1/fact/accom/escsys/ (But bear in mind that the information may not be completely official. Nevertheless, it pretty much accords with what I've seen in the series.)

Edited by ewilen

:lol: do you think the escape system & eject seat will be cool if added to future VF-1? or maybe attach vf-1 life pod to another valk gunpod location woof! cant imagine how great the toy will be. tat's my dream valkerie with GBP equip 15years ago. Just an idea to any Toy's makers, Let macross lives forever!!! :lol: Edited by alvaro

I don't know where I saw it--either here or somewhere out on the web--but there is somebody who was working on a scratchbuilt ejection capsule for attachment to a Valkyrie's arm. Don't recall which toy it was supposed to go with.

I didn't know that. Too bad you dont have a pic of it.

chirp. . . chirp. . . chirp. . .

LMAO! And now the MPC fast packs to the rescue! The reason I've chosen to post on this is that I believe anyone who would recommend an MPC is doing a disservice to anyone new to valkyrie toys. It's one thing to say, "I disagree with others, and I like the MPC, because. . ." It's another thing to say it is superior in respects that it clearly is not.

I happen to like the Chevrolet Corvair; however, I think I would be doing a disservice by recommending it as a good car to someone who doesn't know what they're in for. I think they're cool, but they have a definite track record for reliability/safety problems. My point: it is absurd to try to argue that the VF-1 equivalent of the Corvair is good.

BTW, anyone got a side-by-side comparison of the MPC fast packs next to the Yamato's? :p

IMHO the onyl way teh MPC besats a yamato out is in playability. The MPC has more playability than the 1/60. Does it hae more playability than the 1/48? HELL NO.

aesthetics were realy a no brainer. Does MPC better than 1/60 in looks? again blindness. I never uestioned hjow much the 1/60 loooked voer the MPC but when it came to playing with them, the MPC came out n top.

now when the 1/48 came, it was more playable tehn my aMPC and 1.60

in terms of aesthetics who are u kidding? no way in hell fast opack or not does the MPC look better than the 1/60

the anal fro detail shoji kawamori approved the 1/60s. that shlu tell u somethin

Crap. Double post. Might as well add something useful. I would say the 1/48 transformation is complex enough to make me not really look forward to it. In fact I'd say the same for the 1/60. If the MPC is closer to the Taka/Bandai 1/55's in ease of transformation, that would be an advantage.

Also, here are more pics (from a prototype) of the 1/60 booster internals (last two in the series.): http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/v...trike_proto.htm

Edited by ewilen

In regards to 1/48 transformation... there are really only a few extra steps... and the added complexity pays off in my mind due to the fact that you can deploy the arms in gerwalk without having to detach/swing down the legs.

plus... intergrated heat shield! so cool.

Not sure where you can find side-by-side pics but you can see the internal detail at http://www.menet.umn.edu/~ngo/robotech_mpc_fp_vf-1s.html

Compare to the Yamato 1/48 shots shown earlier in this thread.

A couple shots of the internals of the Yamato 1/60 boosters are at http://www.menet.umn.edu/~ngo/vf-1j_super_ya.html

OK.... after having seen those MPC Fast Pack pictures...

YUCK!!!!! :ph34r:

Now, I think the 1/60 Fast Packs beat out the MPC's as well as the 1/48's.

Edited by soze

I don't know where I saw it--either here or somewhere out on the web--but there is somebody who was working on a scratchbuilt ejection capsule for attachment to a Valkyrie's arm. Don't recall which toy it was supposed to go with.

I didn't know that. Too bad you dont have a pic of it.

I think it was either MW member takatoys or Rosario Love. But I can't find a reference to it at either person's web site. Maybe if you post to the "customizing toys" forum, someone will remember.