Hasegawa VF-1 trouble, HELP!

Gabe Q

Hi everybody! (You respond, "Hi Dr. Nick!")

Anyway, I've been inspired to start building one of my many Hasegawa VF-1s. Thank you to WM for his really great build-ups. :)

My problem is, I want to build the valk with the landing gear doors closed. I'm having trouble because they don't fit quite right. Also, I don't think they will be supported very well.

Any suggestions?

I tried this so far. I just tried to glue a spare piece of sprue to the back of the door to attach them to.

post-23-1078459174_thumb.jpg

hey dr. Nick, well you'll have to sand down part of the edges because they are slighly larger than the fit.

the use of a sprue to glue them together is fine but it might be too thick..use a piece of styrene or cut the sprue piece thinner.

You might have to glue small tabs on the inside landing gear 'box' edges to keep the doors from sinking into the box once you glue them. If this happens anyways, then use the point of the xacto knife to pull the doors up to the surface.

the biggest problem will be the square pieces that goes atop the doors where the signal lights are placed by the 'knee'. They have to be sliced thin and sanded and trimmed on the upper edges to fit the compartment ...

EDIT: did you get any of this?

Edited by 007-vf1

Like 007 suggests sand down the doors on until they fit well into the space. What I would do next to support the doors from underneath is fill the space with epoxy clay, it'll be so easy to hold the doors in place.

I've done this a few times and it seems to work quite well. After ensuring the doors fit flush (roughly), I roll 2-part epoxy up into a small ball (smaller than a pea) and place one on each end of the door. The trick is to put enough on so that the door sits slightly higher than the surroundings. Then gently press down until the doors are flush, and sitiing in the spots you want. Once the epoxy dries (overnight) just do a quick sanding if needed and presto, closed doors. I try to use as little as possible just to keep the balance okay, but it can be tricky.

Lonnie

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna try Grayson's suggestion about the epoxy clay. I'll post some pics of my progress cuz I got nothin better to do.

I just wanna mention that I still consider myself a beginning modeler and I can't stress enough how helpful the step-by-steps are. I really appreciate it as I'm sure many others do.

If anyone has a different suggestion, please post it. I really want my valk to look its best.

Thanks!

Its too bad the old site isn't up anymore, I've done a step-by-step walk through on the VF-1 for closing the gear doors - I'll just post some pictures here...

post-23-1078693993_thumb.jpg